Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

US Citizen Question: Is Shenzhen Visa Still Required for Stays Under 6 Days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2012, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred

I am sorry if this has been covered. Long story short, a bit stressed and leaving for a trip next week. Will wind up in Hong Kong. Would someone here please read the following link.

http://www.chinaconsulatesf.org/eng/...tm#visa_waiver

If you scroll down to paragraph 2, it appears to read that if you join a licensed tour group in Hong Kong, and your country has diplomatic relations with China, which the USA does, you can enter THAT part of China WITH the tour group, including Shenzhen, WITHOUT a visa and stay for up to 6 days.

Am I missing something? I appreciate your help...would like to go to Shenzhen, and if I can avoid a trip to the Chinese Consulate in SF and the $140 visa fee that would be nice. Thanks again.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I think you are correct (from my reading) - we went into St. Petersburg off a cruise ship, for two days, under similar circumstances - you did not need a Russian visa as long as you were on a tour with a licensed tour guide (we had hired a private, licensed, guide prior to leaving the U.S.).
Old Jan 31, 2012, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I am also familiar with the St. Petersburg exemption. I am continuing to read and it appears that there is something that the Hong Kong tour group gives you called a China Group Visa. I am trying to find a licensed your giude now in Hong Kong via the internet that might be able to help.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Other than the visa issue, why would anyone want to be part of a tour group?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I normally don't like tour groups and almost never do them. Without explaining my rationale in this case, which is no one's business, I am making a rare exception here. Enough said? Besides, my parents are in their 80"s and many people for a variety of reasons including health, safety and age choose to be a part of a tour group. Everyone does not travel the same way you might travel.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:38 am

Programs: various
As a US passport holder, normally as an independent traveler, you are not eligible for the Shenzhen special visa-on-arrival at the border, which is time- and geography-limited. However, as part of a group tour organized by an approved Hong Kong agent, I believe you would be eligible. Which would get you off the hook for forking over for that expensive Chinese visa.

Moreover, I believe that with the group tour arrangement, geographic coverage is wider than just the Shenzhen Zone to which the VOA ("border pass") applies. I think these tours are allowed to traverse most of the Pearl River Basin, including Guangzhou, Dongguan, Foshan, possibly even Zhuhai. If you cannot find a travel agent easily by internet search, try finding agents to contact via the Hong Kong Tourism Bureau. You also might post a specific question about sourcing such agents on the Hong Kong forum.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not just any old tour group, a Chinese tour group!?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:45 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
PRD no visa China Tours - 6 Days max

Hong Kong and Macao organized by registered travel agencies in Hong Kong and Macao to visit the Pearl River Delta region:

Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Zhuhai, Foshan, Dongguan, Zhongshan, Jiangmen, Zhaoqing, Huizhou and Shantou.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:24 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
PRD no visa China Tours - 6 Days max

Hong Kong and Macao organized by registered travel agencies in Hong Kong and Macao to visit the Pearl River Delta region:

Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Zhuhai, Foshan, Dongguan, Zhongshan, Jiangmen, Zhaoqing, Huizhou and Shantou.
If that group of cities also included Shaoguan, that'd be swell. As for Dongguan, guess I know what kind of tourists those tour companies attract...
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Tad's Broiled Steaks
If that group of cities also included Shaoguan, that'd be swell. As for Dongguan, guess I know what kind of tourists those tour companies attract...
Shaoguan not in PRD. Dongguan not known for choir groupd practicing singing at KTV.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:38 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Shaoguan not in PRD. Dongguan not known for choir groupd practicing singing at KTV.
I know, I know, I'm a former resident of Shenzhen. Still, it would've been a nice bonus to include the hillsides near Shaoguan.

Also, are the diaolou of Kaiping becoming increasingly popular as well?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
The PRD includes Shantou?

Didn't know that.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by tycosiao
The PRD includes Shantou?

Didn't know that.
Yes, PRD is very large area and widens signicantly on eastern coastline.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
144-hour Convenient Visa

This link talks about the same thing:

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/...hina-visa.html
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allset2travel
This link talks about the same thing:

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/...hina-visa.html
Does anyone have any experience with this Pearl River Delta visa waiver? Many years ago, I took a tour of the Delta from HKG organized by the Chinese travel service. I'm guessing that's what they have in mind. But could I get a local travel agent to "authorize" an independent tour of the region? I'd have my family with me, so the 3-person rule wouldn't be a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.