Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Old" Beijing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

"Old" Beijing

Seems there's not much of old Beijing left these days.

This article includes a few spots but barely even mentions the hutongs.

http://www.timeoutbeijing.com/featur...d-Beijing.html

Pretty much all gone?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 5:19 am

Programs: various
No, not all gone, but you have to get off the standard tourist track. Article mentions Fayuan Si which I try to get people to go see, but without much response. Ditto for the area around the Lu Xun Museum--which in broader terms encompasses the adjacent district known as Xisi. This is near the Geological Museum, and Guangji Temple and has a hutong area of its own and lots of neat places to wander and get more flavor of traditional Beijing.

I have a whole treatise on "Beijing's Secondary Sights" which I developed over the last 18 months but decided not to bother putting it up, since nobody seems to be interested in seeing much beyond the Forbidden City/Tiananmen, Summer Palace, Tiantan, and the Silk Market.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 6:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PaulStone
Seems there's not much of old Beijing left these days.
That's a very Chaoyangcentric generalization. Head south and/or west and there is lots of old stuff.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: F
Originally Posted by jiejie
I have a whole treatise on "Beijing's Secondary Sights" which I developed over the last 18 months but decided not to bother putting it up, since nobody seems to be interested in seeing much beyond the Forbidden City/Tiananmen, Summer Palace, Tiantan, and the Silk Market.
Do tell. Going in November.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by jiejie
Mememe! I've been trying to suss out off-the-beaten track places and haven't had that much luck, and admittedly have been slightly too swamped to do a good job. With the weather warming up I am gearing up to explore more of Beijing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.