Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Fitness coaches - going rate?

Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance - AC

What is the going rate for professional fitness coach? Beijing? Shanghai?

I need to lose some weight, these late nights eating is doing a number on my waistline.

Would like to get an idea then I can start negotiation.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
What is the going rate for professional fitness coach? Beijing? Shanghai?

I need to lose some weight, these late nights eating is doing a number on my waistline.

Would like to get an idea then I can start negotiation.
~100 per hour.

Why don't you simply attend some classes at your gym instead? I recommend "spinning"; the peer pressure keeps me from going slack or calling it quits early. On days when you're not up for that, 30 minutes on the stair master does wonders, and don't rule out the occasional "executive workout" (sauna, ice pool, steam, etc). IMO, those fitness dollars are most wisely spent on joining really nice gyms, yoga studios, and massage packages.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:49 am
Original Poster

I actually just joined a gym.

They have an in house trainers that charge 250 rmb per hour. Which seemed a tad high. Thus my question.

This gym is brand new. Gym equipment just out of the box. All Natalus or Bowflex equipment. Yogo, Aerobics, spin rooms.

But I really need some support and assistance to make sure I am doing the exercises correctly.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I actually just joined a gym.

They have an in house trainers that charge 250 rmb per hour. Which seemed a tad high. Thus my question.

This gym is brand new. Gym equipment just out of the box. All Natalus or Bowflex equipment. Yogo, Aerobics, spin rooms.

But I really need some support and assistance to make sure I am doing the exercises correctly.
Yeah, that's rather nuts. I can't recall exactly what I paid in Portland because training sessions were routinely sold in confusing bundles, but way less than that. On the flip side, the trainers I know in China are far better qualified in the field than your typical back-up high school quarterback. But, still, that's serious coin for a 20-something that presumably lives with his/her parents, and has no debts.

Why don't you give yoga a try? The classes at my gym are small enough for the teachers to provide lots of personal attention. And, in Shanghai, there are some amazing yoga studios (with acclaimed instructors from India, Thailand, Phils, etc). I'm a big fan of "hot yoga".
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: SM Gold, MP 2P, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC
To me with my US prices in mind, 250RMB per hours seems reasonable but probably isn't reasonable in China. Are there other gyms nearby you can compare prices to?

One recommendation: When starting with a trainer, see if you can do half-hour sessions 2-3 times a week. Any more than a half-hour when starting and I found I was too worn out to get much out of the remaining time in the session.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:08 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
If you only want to get rid of belly fat. Try the HCG diet. You will lose
30 lbs in 30 days. Here the doctors charge 2K, but the cost of kit is actually less than 200USD. Recenty a friend went from 44 waist to 34 in a month.

Probably can get then kit locally at cheap price.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
gym

Rate in BJ, Haidian gym, is 100 rmb for an hour if you buy 25 trainer sessions.

You do the gym warm up yourself, & also recomend a no carbs type diet after 2 pm every day.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 7:03 pm

Programs: SQ
I always feel that personal training is a waste of time. Really easy to lose weight or gain muscle if you have the diet and discipline to do it. I see trainers in my gym and they're no smarter than me. You maybe need 2 paid sessions to learn some routines you can work from there.

In the USA 50$ for an hour session at a suburban gym is normal. In trendy gyms it will be nore. Chinese prices are basically the same.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Gyms are ridiculously expensive in China, at least in Shanghai and Beijing. Not sure about trainers.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
If you only want to get rid of belly fat. Try the HCG diet. You will lose
30 lbs in 30 days. Here the doctors charge 2K, but the cost of kit is actually less than 200USD. Recenty a friend went from 44 waist to 34 in a month.

Probably can get then kit locally at cheap price.
hCG has no proven efficacy in weight loss, and 'homoepathic hCG' has recently been banned by the FDA. If any effects at all, they are due to caloric restriction and/or exercise. Of course, handing over a wad of cash has an amazing motivational effect, hence your "friend's" weight loss. I doubt handing over a smaller sum will be similarly motivating. Since there are no actual active ingredients, the one plus is that one doesn't need to worry abot chinese counterfeits!

tb
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by trueblu
hCG has no proven efficacy in weight loss, and 'homoepathic hCG' has recently been banned by the FDA. If any effects at all, they are due to caloric restriction and/or exercise. Of course, handing over a wad of cash has an amazing motivational effect, hence your "friend's" weight loss. I doubt handing over a smaller sum will be similarly motivating. Since there are no actual active ingredients, the one plus is that one doesn't need to worry abot chinese counterfeits!

tb
When you have to inject that stuff everyday into your stomach...you probably lose your appetite even if it contains nothing.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
When you have to inject that stuff everyday into your stomach...you probably lose your appetite even if it contains nothing.
Fair point -- long live quakery!

tb
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Over the years, I have tried many "methods" of losing weight. Most were temporarily successful but the main thing I did NOT do was exercise.

Since I really never have exercised (had paid close to 12 years of fitness club fees but really didn't go) I really don't know the fundamentals of stretching, weight training and aerobic exercise.

I just need someone to go from scratch and make sure that I am pushing weights in the most effective and safe manner. Where to adjust the seat, what equipment exercises what muscle and how to use the equpment etc.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:48 pm

Over the years, I have tried many "methods" of losing weight. Most were temporarily successful but the main thing I did NOT do was exercise.

Since I really never have exercised (had paid close to 12 years of fitness club fees but really didn't go) I really don't know the fundamentals of stretching, weight training and aerobic exercise.

I just need someone to go from scratch and make sure that I am pushing weights in the most effective and safe manner. Where to adjust the seat, what equipment exercises what muscle and how to use the equpment etc.
In which case, you won't need a trainer long-term for 'motivational' purposes. I would guess gym fees are outrageiusly high, so paying 250 RMB/hr for 4-5 hrs won't add that much to the cost. If you wanted 5hrs/week long-term, the differences add up.

Good luck: my philosophy: "when a thought of exercise comes, lie down until the thought goes away"

tb
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by trueblu
Good luck: my philosophy: "when a thought of exercise comes, lie down until the thought goes away"
Don't they have any hot personal trainers in China?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.