Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Sign in using an external account

Old Dec 22, 11, 1:26 pm   #1
FlyerTalk Evangelist; Ambassador: China

Expedia is now offering discount intra-China tix

While this news isn't super exciting, since my war chest includes a substantial number of Thank You Points, I'm starting a thread about it. Thank You Points aside (25% discount on airplane tickets), I'm happy enough about Expedia that I avail of it for nearly all of my ex-China flights (they match pretty much anything on qunar or kayak).

However, in country, they were always a poor option. In fact, they still are (e.g. their searches don't include those dirt cheap flights on Juneyao Airlines). But, at least they are now on par with Ctrip for my 130p CA flight (previously, I would have had to pay them an extra $60, in order to buy up to full fare).

On the downside, if I decide to change my plans, working with Expedia is a nightmare, compared to Ctrip.
moondog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 11, 10:39 pm   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL KM, HH Diamond, IC Amb, Hyatt Diamond, NA EE
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
While this news isn't super exciting, since my war chest includes a substantial number of Thank You Points, I'm starting a thread about it. Thank You Points aside (25% discount on airplane tickets), I'm happy enough about Expedia that I avail of it for nearly all of my ex-China flights (they match pretty much anything on qunar or kayak).

However, in country, they were always a poor option. In fact, they still are (e.g. their searches don't include those dirt cheap flights on Juneyao Airlines). But, at least they are now on par with Ctrip for my 130p CA flight (previously, I would have had to pay them an extra $60, in order to buy up to full fare).

On the downside, if I decide to change my plans, working with Expedia is a nightmare, compared to Ctrip.
So is Expedia cheaper now than ctrip and elong?
mnredfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 11, 1:26 am   #3

Programs: AC, MU, SPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Is that a bad thing? EVERY time (thus far 4 times) I have purchased Spring or Juneyao tickets, they were cancelled by the airline Ended up on standby with another airline usually China Eastern.

I guess for me personally the Expedia refund process is enough of a deterrent for me to stick with ctrip but I hate ctrip's useless loyalty rewards.
Old Dec 23, 11, 1:54 am   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist; Ambassador: China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiwaned View Post
Is that a bad thing? EVERY time (thus far 4 times) I have purchased Spring or Juneyao tickets, they were cancelled by the airline Ended up on standby with another airline usually China Eastern.
I still have yet to venture into those waters, but let's face it; they are dirt cheap. A friend of mine flew them PEK-SHA last week and said it was fine, "on time and decent congee," to use his exact words. I've also hold some -- to be kind -- less than stellar stories, but I won't go there now.

Fox: Expedia is not cheaper than ctrip; my situation is somewhat unique because of the 25% TYP discount. So, for the flight I took today, I ended up coming out ahead... with a full boat 发票 to boot. While both the train and the Juneyao flight (at 730a, mind you) would have been substantially cheaper, since it's Xmas, I wanted to treat myself to a ride in my favorite airplane in China, the CA 330. It was a great flight; in fact, all of my flights have been great during the past several months... so much too the extent that I am going to update my "last flight ever" thread.
moondog is online now   Reply With Quote