Search

Transiting China, need a visa?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:04 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Transiting China, need a visa?

A US-passport carrying friend has a short (< 48 hour) layover in Shanghai en route to another country in Asia. He's getting conflicting answers re. whether he needs a visa.

The Chinese Consulate (in Chicago, I think) told him: It's up to your airline...whatever they say.
American Airlines says: No visa necessary
The US State Department says: "If Shanghai Pudong airport is your international transit point, you may stay in Shanghai for 48 hours if you have a valid passport, a visa for your destination, and an onward plane ticket. Make sure you get an endorsement stamp at the immigration desk before you leave the airport."
The visa service his company uses says: Yes, you absolutely need a visa.

I'm inclined to believe the State Department & airline, even though on FT we always tell people to get their info straight from the country in question. I find it hard to believe that the Chinese Consulate really defers to an airline's wishes, but he's a savvy traveler, so I believe him when he said that's what he was told.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
* Visas are not required of Citizens of the following countries, who transit through Pudong Airport or Hongqiao Airport of Shanghai, provided they hold valid passports, visas for the onward countries, final destination tickets and have booked seats, and stay in Shanghai for less than 48 hours

Republic of Korea, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria, Greece.
http://houston.china-consulate.org/e...gqz/t53300.htm
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
The visa service his company uses says: Yes, you absolutely need a visa.
and I bet they are more than willing to sell one
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:42 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let me move this to the Travel->China forum and also point you to post #3 of this thread where there's a detailed discussion of the Visa requirements for short stays. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...t-threads.html

Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...e-transit.html

This thread will answer it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.