Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

48 hour visit Shanghai/Transit Visa question/can you just visit Shanghai then go home

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

48 hour visit Shanghai/Transit Visa question/can you just visit Shanghai then go home

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Is it possible to visit Shanghai for less than 48 hours without a Visa but not really transit

I am on a Canadian passport and would use PVG airport and I would have a booked ticket out of there with a print out of my intinerary. I am not of Chineese descent.

I have lots of points

I would stay for under 48 hours

The reason I am curious, when I read the transit visa rules, is I would not really "be" transiting (the purpose of the transit visa)

I would fly YYZ to PVG , stay less than 48 hours, then go back PVG to YYZ

Anybody done this?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:06 pm

Consider reading these threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...transit-2.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...hout-visa.html

I personally (U.S. passport) took a trip to Asia which included a 2-day visit to Shanghai; this was not a problem to Chinese officials @ the airport. Only the airline had concerns I didn't have a Visa. Recommend: You print out the official rules and provide to airport agent as necessary.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Thank you Thank thank you

The issue is would I be returning to the same airport

I could always try to work with connections

Thank you again
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Snookie33
Thank you Thank thank you

The issue is would I be returning to the same airport

I could always try to work with connections

Thank you again
Yes. Stop in NRT on the return and you have little to worry about.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 3:06 am

Programs: VS Gold, IHG RA/Plat, Marriott Plat
With the World Expo starts next week, all Chinese airports started tightening the security measures from this week. Official wording is, "back to pre-Olympic security level", which means border control will be very restricted.

I would strongly recommend not to do YYZ-PVG, even with a stop over in NRT. You are taking a high risk during this period.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:43 am

Programs: various
I concur with above poster. Not a good time to test the limits of the Chinese. At least if you're going to try this, make it look good and meet the intent as well as the letter of the regulation by putting the connection AFTER Shanghai, to a point geographically FURTHER than YYZ, such as YYZ-PVG-HKG-YYZ. I think a YYZ-PVG-NRT-YYZ route is likely to not pass muster with your airline, no matter what print-out you show them. Your original plan YYZ-PVG-YYZ is a no-go.

Last edited by jiejie; Apr 25, 2010 at 6:50 am
Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:52 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

In short, like the Olympics, the Chinese don't want any foreigners to show up, is that what you folks are suggesting?

I guess that's why it's called an "Expo" rather than a "World's Fair."
Old Apr 25, 2010, 1:37 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
In short, like the Olympics, the Chinese don't want any foreigners to show up, is that what you folks are suggesting?
I think its OK if you go to China to place orders.

Orders at the Canton Fair in Guangzhou totaled $17.1 billion from April 15 to 19, a previously published figure of $13.03 billion for the same period in 2009 indicates a 31 percent increase.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:20 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
I think its OK if you go to China to place orders.

Orders at the Canton Fair in Guangzhou totaled $17.1 billion from April 15 to 19, a previously published figure of $13.03 billion for the same period in 2009 indicates a 31 percent increase.
I wonder how much of that would evaporate if the RMB was freely exchangeable and allowed to float. But that's a topic for a different thread!
Old May 2, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: United, AA Gold, InsideFlyer subscriber
I am not sure why the OP does not just get a Chinese Visa. It's painless and gives you the freedom to do as you wish without fear of having immigration issues.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:20 am

HI quick question, would i need any type of visa if i were to fly in to PVG from bkk stay in shanghai for 36 hours then fly out from SHA to TLV via PEK staying in the airport for 5 hours to catch my flight (ie transit)? Thanks for the help,
Old Jul 17, 2011, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by abraham andrew
HI quick question, would i need any type of visa if i were to fly in to PVG from bkk stay in shanghai for 36 hours then fly out from SHA to TLV via PEK staying in the airport for 5 hours to catch my flight (ie transit)? Thanks for the help,
Why did you post the same question in multiple threads? In any event, my answer is the same. Odds are, your plan will work, but your ultimate fate is up to the discretion of PRC border control.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by moondog
Why did you post the same question in multiple threads? In any event, my answer is the same. Odds are, your plan will work, but your ultimate fate is up to the discretion of PRC border control.
Why people would get themselves so aggravated over PRC border control authority in order to save $150 visa fee is beyond me.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by moondog
thanks for your reply, quick question, the 48 hour rule that you dont need a visa is that only if you stay in the airport or if one leaves the airport he will need a visa
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by abraham andrew
thanks for your reply, quick question, the 48 hour rule that you dont need a visa is that only if you stay in the airport or if one leaves the airport he will need a visa
How did you manage to post the same question in multiple threads, yet miss the many threads relevant to topic at hand, including this one?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...hout-visa.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.