Beijing Thanksgiving

Subscribe
Let's try to meet up. I vote for the Westin (near the Kunlun), simply because I have friends staying there this week.

Fox: Please accept my apologies for not posting this in the "BJ meet up" thread; I was too lazy to find it.
24th
The westin on line 10 sounds good. Time ?
Quote: The westin on line 10 sounds good. Time ?
630p, but we should make sure that they actually have a TG dinner there. There is a subway entrance directly in front of the hotel.
Quote: 630p, but we should make sure that they actually have a TG dinner there.
They do, in the grange grill at the westin chaoyang, 11-24 promo- thanksgiving set dinner- 5:30- 10 pm.
Can Brits come?

Any idea of the price -- can't see a menu online anywhere.

Am theoretically intested -- although will need to check with Mrs. trublu.

tb

ETA: Just saw the price: 538/607 RMB pp -- might be a bit too much for us.
Count me interested if price is OK.
Ouch, just saw price above. Way too much for me, sorry. Can we find an alternative? I'm even OK with having Chinese or Duck Thanksgiving rather than turkey with the trimmings.
Quote: ETA: Just saw the price: 538/607 RMB pp -- might be a bit too much for us.
Ok, let's find a different place.
I'm even OK with something that's not an all-you-can eat buffet, as I'm not that huge of an eater. Or a reasonably-priced buffet. For me, Thanksgiving is about the spirit and the cameraderie, so I'm adaptable to most any food style. (Kong bao turkey, turkey kebabs, crepes with turkey and dressing, turkey paella, turkey curry, etc...)
I've discussed with my wife, and we're up for it. Not fussy about type of food. Mid-price preferred.

tb
Quote: Let's try to meet up. I vote for the Westin (near the Kunlun), simply because I have friends staying there this week.

Fox: Please accept my apologies for not posting this in the "BJ meet up" thread; I was too lazy to find it.
No worries, I'll find it for you. And yes, that is lazy.
I just called Chef Too (near Chaoyang Park west gate) because I like their food, and their dinner set is y248 (not including drinks). Other ideas are welcome.
Quote: I just called Chef Too (near Chaoyang Park west gate) because I like their food, and their dinner set is y248 (not including drinks). Other ideas are welcome.
Haven't been there in a long time, but my past experiences were good, so that's one viable idea. What's on the menu for the set dinner, and What's the time limit for booking a reservation?

I've got a friend--another "stray orphan"--who will be joining us. Maybe can make an FT'er out of him.
Quote: Haven't been there in a long time, but my past experiences were good, so that's one viable idea. What's on the menu for the set dinner, and What's the time limit for booking a reservation?

I've got a friend--another "stray orphan"--who will be joining us. Maybe can make an FT'er out of him.
1) appetizer, main course, dessert
2) I'm not sure, but if we want to go there, we should probably commit by tomorrow

I'd be willing to try out a lesser hotel than the Westin, as well. I did the Lido a few years ago and it was decent enough (no need to reserve in advance). That having been said, I'm willing to pay a little more for better food.

My suggestion: keep the ideas flowing, and make a decision tomorrow afternoon.
Renaissance BJ (the one on Xiaoyun Lu)--I think they've got a Thanksgiving turkey dinner for RMB 238 + 15% service, 12 and under 1/2 price. I think it's buffet style.

Since we'll have folks from Haidian coming, something that's within reasonable walking distance of a Line 10 station (or Line 10 + short cab ride) would be most useful.

Most of the other hotel Th'giving dinners are much more expensive (Grand Millenium, Ritz, etc). So I think Chef Too and Ren BJ Chaoyang are probably the best we're going to find if you want the traditional dinner.

Other option is to not get fixated on roast turkey and pumpkin pie, and just find a completely unrelated restaurant to have our feast (though it would be nice to skip Chinese this time around). My two mao.
Quote: Renaissance BJ (the one on Xiaoyun Lu)--I think they've got a Thanksgiving turkey dinner for RMB 238 + 15% service, 12 and under 1/2 price. I think it's buffet style.
If that includes drinks, I'm down. Otherwise, I vote for Chef Too.