Beijing Thanksgiving

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing Thanksgiving

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
was just at the Sofitel for a quikc business trip. In the elevator they are promoting lunch for 258 and dinner for 298 I think. Buffet if I am not mistaken. I don't know how good their restaurant is (they make a mean croissant at breakfast) and have a nice French place, but I didn't hear great things about the dinner at the main (intercontinental) restaurant
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:13 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
I'm not weighing in which restaurant per se since I've not been to very many. However, as jiejie pointed out, given that we (and Jiatong and family I think are still in haidian) are schlepping from out west, being close-ish to a subway would be a major plus for us. In rush hour, it would easily take us 90+ minutes by cab to get to east side of town.

tb
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trueblu
I'm not weighing in which restaurant per se since I've not been to very many. However, as jiejie pointed out, given that we (and Jiatong and family I think are still in haidian) are schlepping from out west, being close-ish to a subway would be a major plus for us. In rush hour, it would easily take us 90+ minutes by cab to get to east side of town.

tb
Okay. I just called Grandma's Kitchen (Jianwai Soho... close to Guomao Stn. on Line 10), and their set is y218 for turkey or y248 for steak, including one beverage. I'm by no means voting for this option... just throwing it out there. BTW, if the weather isn't bitter cold, the walk from Liangma Qiao to Chef Too isn't exceptionally grueling (maybe 15 mins).
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

anything good in Haidian?

I rarely go up there for leisure, but since a few of you live there and the food will presumably be far cheaper than Chaoyang, we should at least consider the thought of finding a place in Wudaokou or thereabouts. So, trueblu and jiatong, do you have any suggestions?
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: various
Grandma's would have to be a lot cheaper than that for me to want to go there. I'd be pretty confident that Chef Too or Renaissance Chaoyang would both be better. And either are walkable from Liangma Qiao subway station (Renaissance Chaoyang is <15 minutes walk, Chef Too more like 25 minutes but I can see if there's a bus connection). I may be able to assist the final hop from subway to restaurant via a non-FT friend/fellow diner with a car...but I don't want to promise that 100% just yet. I don't think Haidian will have anything resembling an American turkey dinner, if that's what we're after.

Moondog, do you have time to phone the Ren Chaoyang and clarify if drinks are included or not (even if they are non-alcoholic) in the price? Thought you knew that hotel pretty well already. I think we need to make a decision by about 5-6 pm today, do a head count, and make a reservation.

Jiejie + friend = 2 people signed up definitely.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

let's review this list before making a decision

Many places to choose from....

http://www.thebeijinger.com/blog/201...sgiving-Dinner
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Ren ?

I will go to the Ren Chaoyang & check it out this afternoon as its very near our new apt. ( Mixon complex) that is now getting decorated on the east side ( a whole another story on chinese apt. decorating chaos !).

My personal backup plan is just to buy a local turkey & have the chinese chef cook it for the family. I usually fail at teaching the chinese chef anything about western cooking of meat. But i do have canned gravy & canned cranberries from the US.

back to Haidian about 6 BJ time. BTW, Haidian is not less expensive than Chaoyang.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Okay, after reviewing this list, I vote for Switch! (never eaten there, but it is clean and nicely decorated, and the price is right) followed by the Renaissance Café.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Happy Thanksgiving to all our North American FT'ers.

I'm not that familiar with this tradition yet but trying to catch up for the benefit of visiting my US based family members.

On a business visit in Shanghai tomorrow and have a dinner meeting with a local friend. Any recommodations there for trying the roast turkey and garnishes?
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:27 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
We're happy with any of the options in that price range, since we've not eaten at any of them so can't comment.

tb
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:33 pm

My vote goes to Renaissance Chaoyang. I think on balance of price and location, it may be best all around. And it is easy to find. Switch! sounds tantalizingly delicious but trekking out to 798 wouldn't be my first choice (but if everybody else votes for Switch, I will certainly come as will friend.) Chef Too's seating times are too constraining.

I could also deal with Union Bar and Grille (Sanlitun Village) but not everybody is thrilled with their normal food (I've had good experiences there). Also Culture Yard in Gulou I'd be willing to try (never been), but the location might be a bit more hassle.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Okay, Ren it is unless someone else speaks up. Hopefully one of you guys has the half off coupon from the Marriott gold card booklet.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Okay, Ren it is unless someone else speaks up. Hopefully one of you guys has the half off coupon from the Marriott gold card booklet.
moondog, can you make a reservation at Ren--I'm assuming 7 pm is OK with everybody. We need a head count:
1) moondog
2) jiejie
3) jiejie's non-FT friend David
4 and 5) trueblu and wife (you bringing daughter also?)

Jiatong, you coming with S.O. and her daughter? I really hope you do--I love decorating chaos stories!
Our non-expat visiting mduell and friend we don't yet know about. (PS Ren is close to CCC, can walk it in 15-20 min)

Checked with Fimo and she's is in HK so she can't make it.

I don't have the half-off coupon but would it even apply to this special event?

I've got an emergency with a friend's apartment I'm taking care of while they're away, so I may be preoccupied for rest of this evening. Will check in later.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 4:26 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Ren

The Ren has free flowing local wine & local draft beer with the special.

BJ taxi traffic comment- This morning at 7:30, it was only 20 minutes from Haidian Huangzhuang to the St Regis on 3rd ring. Tonight, i left the Ren at 5 & got back at 7. 2 hours on 3rd ring... & the weather is good ! I missed my cooks chinese 6 pm dinner, thus 7-11 snacks for me. Should of walked to # 10, & skipped the taxi from the Ren.

So, tb, take the 4th ring.

Edit after seeing jiejie's post- Just me, Jiatong for T-dinner at the Ren. maybe there at 6:45 for a couple of local draft beer's !.

Last edited by Jiatong; Nov 23, 2011 at 5:09 am Reason: confirm 1.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 5:28 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Beijing FTers, have a nice Holiday and enjoy your turkey dinner.
42 degrees here in SoCal now so Beijing isn't too far off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.