Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sanya Visa Waiver (for US citizens)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Sanya Visa Waiver (for US citizens)

Does anyone have any experience with the apparently new (Aug 2010) Chinese Visa Waiver policy for Sanya (SYX) arrivals?

http://www.sunnysanya.com/hainan_isl...nan_island.asp

We are traveling LAX-HKG-SYX and are looking for more a more authoritative source than a Sanya tourism board to support the new policy.

Do you think Cathay/Dragonair will understand this minutiae of visa policy and allow us to travel without visa?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Colin
Does anyone have any experience with the apparently new (Aug 2010) Chinese Visa Waiver policy for Sanya (SYX) arrivals?

http://www.sunnysanya.com/hainan_isl...nan_island.asp

We are traveling LAX-HKG-SYX and are looking for more a more authoritative source than a Sanya tourism board to support the new policy.

Do you think Cathay/Dragonair will understand this minutiae of visa policy and allow us to travel without visa?
The group tour requirement makes this visa waiver uninteresting to most FTers.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
The group tour requirement makes this visa waiver uninteresting to most FTers.
The section of the article I am referencing is below and is not limited by any group tour requirement. The article references multiple entry policies.

Starting from August.16th, 2010, 2 visitors traveling together from the following 26 countries don't need visa to visit Hainan Island and they could stay as long as 21 days on Hainan Island:

South Korea, Japan, Russia Federation, Malaysia, USA, Singapore, Germany, Thailand, UK, Canada, France, Australia, Indonesia, Sweden, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, Austria, Philippines, New Zealand, Finland, Demark, Norway, Ukraine and Kazakhstan.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:36 pm

The section of the article I am referencing is below and is not limited by any group tour requirement. The article references multiple entry policies.
Several paragraphs below that, it alludes to the tour group requirement. This policy really isn't that exciting.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

It is odd that you are not able to understand that the referenced article mentions several different relaxed-visa policies and that restrictions discussed under one relaxed-visa policy do not apply to every relaxed-visa policy mentioned. Oh well, maybe someone else will be able to respond on point.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Although it isn't clear, I am fairly certain also that this refers to "groups" of 2 people - and so the requirement for the trip to be organized by a registered (approved) tour agency still holds.

As a general rule I don't put much faith in Xinhua news reports, so I am not sure how accurate this is:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english201..._131204519.htm

but it at least appears to give some precise details of the "two person" rule.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by GinFizz
Although it isn't clear, I am fairly certain also that this refers to "groups" of 2 people - and so the requirement for the trip to be organized by a registered (approved) tour agency still holds.
Right, since you need to pay rent to a tour agency anyway, might as well just get a visa.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
This is what it says on the website of China's embassy in Washington:

Citizens holding ordinary passports issued by the following nations is exempted from applying for a visa if he or she joins international tourist group organized by any of the registered travel agencies in Hainan Province which is approved by China National Tourism Administration and stay up to 15 days: Australia, Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Philippines, Russia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, U.K, U.S.

I have not found any article clearing stating US citizens (unlike those from Russia, North Korea or Germany) can visit Hainan in group of 2 without joining a tour or having a visa.

I'd be shocked if CX or KA will let you board, and if you do, I'd be shocked if the Chinese didn't send you right back and fine the airline.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:36 am

Programs: various
This is a relevant excerpt from the TIMATIC for China, from earlier in 2011, and it pertains to issuance of Visa on Arrival for Hainan. This is not the same thing legally as visa-exempt or a visa-waiver. The first clause is for the 3 "favored nations." Note number of people and stay allowed on this type of visa-on-arrival:

- On arrival: if required, to nationals of Germany, Korea (Rep.) and Russian Fed. holding normal passports, arriving at Haikou Meilan or Sanya Phoenix International Airports, travelling as part of a tourist group (2 or more people) to Hainan Province for a max. stay of 21 days, organized by a travel agent registererd in Hainan Province and approved by the Natonal Tourism of China.

Then there is the second clause for some other nations including the USA. Note differences in minimum number of people required and duration of stay:

- On arrival: if required, to those arriving at Haikou Meilan or Sanya Phoenix International Airports, travelling as part of a tourist group (5 or more people) to Hainan Province for a max. stay of 15 days, organized by a travel agent registererd in Hainan Province and approved by the Natonal Tourism of China. Available to nationals of Australia, Austria,Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, Thailand, USA and Ukraine holding normal passports. Available to holders of British normal passports endorsed British Citizen .

Also note that in both clauses, the requirement for a group tour set up by an approved travel agent.

Colin, I don't think you will find an "on point" answer from someone with direct experience on this forum, as most FT'ers not doing an international transit, will be traveling on a Chinese visa obtained in advance. I would be surprised if any of our proferred information has changed radically as pertains to USA passport holders on this matter. But collectively, we are trying to tell you that this rosy tourist board info--which is at odds with both the Chinese Embassy and TIMATIC database information--is perhaps overly optimistic, and if you want to visit Sanya as an independent-travelling couple, to get Chinese visas.

If you do check it out with an approved tourist agent and Sunny Sanya's information is true as presented, and the Embassy and TIMATIC are not up to speed, then let us know, as it will be useful new data to add to the stewpot of Chinese visa lore.

Last edited by jiejie; Nov 18, 2011 at 12:47 am
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by jiejie
But collectively, we are trying to tell you that this rosy tourist board info--which is at odds with both the Chinese Embassy and TIMATIC database information--is perhaps overly optimistic, and if you want to visit Sanya as an independent-travelling couple, to get Chinese visas.
The article actually doesn't conflict with the official policies. It says "group of 2 or more" and later clarifies that "groups" must travel with licensed tour operators.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:21 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by moondog
The article actually doesn't conflict with the official policies. It says "group of 2 or more" and later clarifies that "groups" must travel with licensed tour operators.
It is in conflict with Timatic. The groups of 2 and 21 days apply to Germans, Koreans, Russians only. The groups of 5 and 15 days apply to the other named countries. The Sunny Sanya article says that permission is granted to groups of 2 and 21 days ascribed to all these countries. They also use the term "visa waiver" which is in conflict with the "visa on arrival." I tend to believe VOA, not waiver/exemption. Perhaps Sunny Sanya was getting sloppy in terminology, and is using "waiver" to mean that you don't have to show up with a visa in advance. But my understanding is there IS a visa involved, and it is granted on arrival but subject to limitations besides set up and limited duration of stay (i.e. can't be used to leave Hainan for elsewhere in China).

What is still unclear in my mind, is whether the "tour group" only has to be set up, and arrangements made through a licensed tour operator...and upon arrival in Hainan, the group is free to independently travel. OR, whether the set up must include a licensed guide to go along.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by jiejie
It is in conflict with Timatic. The groups of 2 and 21 days apply to Germans, Koreans, Russians only. The groups of 5 and 15 days apply to the other named countries. The Sunny Sanya article has groups of 2 and 21 days ascribed to all these countries.
Fair enough, but 2 v. 5 people thing seems academic to me. Basically, you sign up for a tour and it's up to the tour operator to fill the remaining spots.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:39 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Smile

Also a side issue is the hotel visa check. At check in, at china hotels, they verify the visa & the entry date. Especially all western hotels. Only a couple of times has the hotel not asked me for the passport & visa, & these were chinese owned 2* types.

maybe a tent on the Sanya beach might work !.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Jiatong
Also a side issue is the hotel visa check. At check in, at china hotels, they verify the visa & the entry date. Especially all western hotels. Only a couple of times has the hotel not asked me for the passport & visa, & these were chinese owned 2* types.

maybe a tent on the Sanya beach might work !.
Probably not much of an issue because there would be some sort passport stamp indicating an arrival. More likely, the travel agent would take care of check in formalities.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:31 am

Who has been to Sanya and got the 15 day "landing visa" at the airport upon arrival. We don't have a tour group and from US, arriving through Hong Kong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.