Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

The Official Shanghai Meet Up Thread

The Official Shanghai Meet Up Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

I am good fo anything, and heck even wagas is cool with me with some friends to meet :-D

Note: wagas is expensive!!!!
Wagas is not expensive to me, but I think we can do better. The wine bar that travelinmanS mentioned is an option, as is the Rum Bounty in Jing'an (I've heard it isn't nearly as cool as their YongFu Road location, but we can change that). I'd even be fine with Malone's.

ETA: this is likely to be a very small gathering: you, me, travelinanS, my jetlagged colleague, my boss, and Crocus Annie. We will need to limit our airplane talk because 60% of the crowd finds it really boring.

Last edited by moondog; Jul 9, 2012 at 11:35 am
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by moondog
Wagas is not expensive to me, but I think we can do better. The wine bar that travelinmanS mentioned is an option, as is the Rum Bounty in Jing'an (I've heard it isn't nearly as cool as their YongFu Road location, but we can change that). I'd even be fine with Malone's.

ETA: this is likely to be a very small gathering: you, me, travelinanS, my jetlagged colleague, my boss, and Crocus Annie. We will need to limit our airplane talk because 60% of the crowd finds it really boring.
I have never been to any of those so any will be awesome

We should talk more about night life in Shanghai that should probably wake up those jetlagged colleague I suppose :P

P.S. Personally wagas is my canteen for lunch when I am in Shanghai ..... -.-
Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:03 am

We should talk more about night life in Shanghai that should probably wake up those jetlagged colleague I suppose :P

Do you prefer rum or wine? I should be able to make it to either place by around 9p.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; GT-I9210 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Do you prefer rum or wine? I should be able to make it to either place by around 9p.
Wine sounds better ;-)
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:20 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; GT-I9210 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Wine sounds better ;-)
I suggest we exchange cell phone numbers tomorrow via email, and figure out a precise plan. Neither of the options I've laid on the table are all that interesting, but but even if we can't improve upon them, we'll still manage to have a good time.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:56 am

Hi moondog, hope you have a good dinner tomorrow!
I'm leaving Shanghai tomorrow after lunch, hope to join one of the meet-ups again one of these days
Old Jul 10, 2012, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suggest we exchange cell phone numbers tomorrow via email, and figure out a precise plan. Neither of the options I've laid on the table are all that interesting, but but even if we can't improve upon them, we'll still manage to have a good time.
I will be at the wine place, it's called Wine Must, at 9pm tonite...hope to see you all there.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I will be at the wine place, it's called Wine Must, at 9pm tonite...hope to see you all there.
Looking forward to meet you all!

I have PM-ed you my Mobile, What's app and Weixin .....
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:18 pm

Looking forward to meet you all!

I have PM-ed you my Mobile, What's app and Weixin .....
I'm going to try to score a seat on the 3p train at the train station itself, which should put me in SH by 8, and permit me to be at the wine place just before 9.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:46 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hey moondog where the f--- you are :-p
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:46 am

Please accept my apologies for the late arrival, but allow me to explain:

-my original plan was to fetch g3, which makes the journey in 4 hours and 48 minutes
-since it was sold out in second class, I purchased a ticket on g155, which left at 420p
-I wrongly assumed that g155 would arrive at 820
-while I don't recall the precise arrival time, it was far later than the 845 that your research suggested
*it stops in 7 or 8 cities and the speed is never greater than 300 kph
-when I got to Shanghai, I went directly to Windows Too because Jordan told me you guys were there
-I, subsequently, called travlinmanS from some random guy's cell phone (both of mine were out of money), abandoned my beer, and found you guys at that new bar
-I did not hit up that wine bar for a "quickie" prior to meeting you; this would be logistically impossible

Furthermore, when I was on the train, I called/emailed you guys in order to advise you that there was no chance in hell that I would make it by nine. I was most concerned about Jordan because I knew he just flew in from Chicago this afternoon, but I also didn't want my boss to coddle him for such a long stretch.

In closing, it was nice meeting you; we ended up having a pretty good time in the end.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:27 pm

Only we left too soon because we need to go to work in 9am :P

nice meeting you guys. let's find another time to go hang out
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please accept my apologies for the late arrival, but allow me to explain:

-my original plan was to fetch g3, which makes the journey in 4 hours and 48 minutes
-since it was sold out in second class, I purchased a ticket on g155, which left at 420p
-I wrongly assumed that g155 would arrive at 820
-while I don't recall the precise arrival time, it was far later than the 845 that your research suggested
*it stops in 7 or 8 cities and the speed is never greater than 300 kph
-when I got to Shanghai, I went directly to Windows Too because Jordan told me you guys were there
-I, subsequently, called travlinmanS from some random guy's cell phone (both of mine were out of money), abandoned my beer, and found you guys at that new bar
-I did not hit up that wine bar for a "quickie" prior to meeting you; this would be logistically impossible

Furthermore, when I was on the train, I called/emailed you guys in order to advise you that there was no chance in hell that I would make it by nine. I was most concerned about Jordan because I knew he just flew in from Chicago this afternoon, but I also didn't want my boss to coddle him for such a long stretch.

In closing, it was nice meeting you; we ended up having a pretty good time in the end.
There was an article today in the Shanghai Daily that said there were numerous delays along the BJ-SH train line yesterday. You might want to show it to the boss.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
There was an article today in the Shanghai Daily that said there were numerous delays along the BJ-SH train line yesterday. You might want to show it to the boss.

Passengers beat up conductor after 8-hour train delay
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:53 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hi from HKG after a 3 hour delay on my departure, didn't score any op up and a bunch of passenger missing their connection...

It's great to meet with travelinmanS and moondog, though the time with moondog is super limited due to what he said above (well I think we all FTer are suppose to fly!)

It's been fun chatting with Other friends of you two from Shanghai which is fun as well, I hope I will be returning end of month if work is arranged but will see if any chance to meet up again!

And I think the City of Sin is waiting for all of us. Do ping me when you stop by Hong Kong or Shen Zhen!

OK.... Time to catch my cab after airport express.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.