Reload this Page >

The Official Shanghai Meet Up Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official Shanghai Meet Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:14 pm

My plans have changed so I will just be there for 1 night now on the 10th, staying at the Hilton.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by painintheuk
My plans have changed so I will just be there for 1 night now on the 10th, staying at the Hilton.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
I can probably swing that myself, but I think the 12th (Friday) would better for most people. I suggest the Grand Yard (can always get a table) or the new Crocus (haven't been yet, but the old Crocus was exceptionally cool).
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:10 am

Hi all,

I made it to Shanghai tonight before flying out tomorrow (and hopefully better weather for exploring in the morning).

I'm at the Hilton Hua Shan if anyone is interested in getting together early. It looks like the Grand Yard suggested by moondog is pretty close to here.

If not I'll enjoy the lounge (see what it's like) and there was what looked like a Turkish restaurant near here (a side street across from Jing'an temple) which I haven't had in a while!

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Old Dec 12, 2014, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Just got to Shanghai. Free Monday night. Anyone up for a mini meetup? Moondog?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
there was what looked like a Turkish restaurant near here (a side street across from Jing'an temple) which I haven't had in a while!

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
A little off topic but if you like Turkish the BEST Turkish restaurant opened a year or so ago - Garlic. Very good lamb and angel's hair dessert.

http://www.smartshanghai.com/venue/7672/garlic
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by YariGuy
A little off topic but if you like Turkish the BEST Turkish restaurant opened a year or so ago - Garlic. Very good lamb and angel's hair dessert.

http://www.smartshanghai.com/venue/7672/garlic
I did end up having lunch at what I thought was a Turkish place the day after. I thought it was Turkish and felt a bit bad eating there my last day in China, but it turned out that it was Uighur! The food was delicious and definitely had a Turkish feel, though!

Thanks for the idea and I will keep it in mind for next time.

Dr. PITUK
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
I did end up having lunch at what I thought was a Turkish place the day after. I thought it was Turkish and felt a bit bad eating there my last day in China, but it turned out that it was Uighur! The food was delicious and definitely had a Turkish feel, though!

Thanks for the idea and I will keep it in mind for next time.

Dr. PITUK
By the way I think I know which restaurant you're talking about. It's the one across the street from the green glass building, and which also sell shish kebabs outside? Yes that one is very good Xinjiang food. They also sell (at least they used to) certain non-food, smokable items.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:12 am

I'll be around for both Xmas and the calendar new year (forget the proper term). I'm living near 新天地 now so venues in the area would be cool, but I'm also fine with our old staples in Jing'an and Xuhui (just no crossing of the river please... except for Morton's happy hour perhaps).
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by moondog
I'll be around for both Xmas and the calendar new year (forget the proper term). I'm living near 新天地 now so venues in the area would be cool, but I'm also fine with our old staples in Jing'an and Xuhui (just no crossing of the river please... except for Morton's happy hour perhaps).
And I, arrive back at 1835 on Christmas Day itself.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:52 am

Nye @ Crocus.

http://www.smartshanghai.com/venue/11269/crocus

I can't imagine that we'll need a table to ourselves, but please post here or PM me if you can attend.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Nye @ Crocus.

http://www.smartshanghai.com/venue/11269/crocus

I can't imagine that we'll need a table to ourselves, but please post here or PM me if you can attend.
Ok I'll try to make it... are we staying there till the countdown? I don't fancy trying to get back after a countdown though, so I'll probably leave earlier.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 1:43 am

Change of venue:

http://www.smartshanghai.com/venue/11200/liquid_laundry

The cost is Y300. Please contact me via wx in advance if you can make it. My wx id is moondogsh.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:38 pm

Change of venue:

http://www.smartshanghai.com/venue/11200/liquid_laundry

The cost is Y300. Please contact me via wx in advance if you can make it. My wx id is moondogsh.
Ok, guess I'll skip then. The recent reviews don't seem very good, and 300 RMB damage is a tad high for mediocre food.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by ellyse
Ok, guess I'll skip then. The recent reviews don't seem very good, and 300 RMB damage is a tad high for mediocre food.
I would have preferred the Crocus, but my friends had already arranged the Liquid Laundry place. Y300 doesn't include any food of substance, as far as I can tell. It just avails you of a limited open bar. In light of the fact that other venues are charging the same for admission and a single glass of bad sparkling wine, the Liquid Laundry offering doesn't strike me as a horrible deal on the surface.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:26 am

I would have preferred the Crocus, but my friends had already arranged the Liquid Laundry place. Y300 doesn't include any food of substance, as far as I can tell. It just avails you of a limited open bar. In light of the fact that other venues are charging the same for admission and a single glass of bad sparkling wine, the Liquid Laundry offering doesn't strike me as a horrible deal on the surface.
Ok, definitely not my kind of thing then. I don't drink that much and definitely not going to drink enough to make 300 RMB worthwhile. Have fun with your friends!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.