Reload this Page >

The Jinghu (Beijing-Shanghai) High Speed Rail thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
I started this thread almost exactly 7 years ago. Not a lot has changed since then, but I think a wikipost is now justified:
-Jing refers to Beijing and Hu refers to Shanghai
-the smaller cities in the middle derive the greatest economic benefit from the service
-air fares have dropped a lot during the course of the past 7 years, and the delay situation has improved quite a bit, so I usually fly these days
-single digit trains tend to stop only in Nanjing, double digit trains stop in Nanjing and Jinan, and triple digit trains have up to 7 station stops.
-the vast majority of trains terminate at Shanghai Hongqiao, which isn't convenient for many people, but Shanghai Station service has recently been launched
-if you have a few days advance on your hands, buy tickets locally; in addition to being a little cheaper, this spares the need for will call
Print Wikipost

The Jinghu (Beijing-Shanghai) High Speed Rail thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Sorry. I meant to express the opposite. Compared to 5 hour trains, flying wins the vast majority of the time. But, if the train only takes 3.5 hours, it will be hard to beat.
That would be true if flights were mostly on time. I also find the train more comfortable. I stopped flying this route a few years ago already.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPDM
That would be true if flights were mostly on time. I also find the train more comfortable. I stopped flying this route a few years ago already.
- my door to door time on the trains (that only stop in one or two places) is 6 hours
-when flying, 4 hour door to door times are fairly common, but my average is just north of 5 hours
-this takes the occasional 8+ hour delay into account

But, a 3.5 hour train will reliably facilitate 4.5 hour door to door times. This makes it a winner.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't see these available to book on Ctrip. Any idea of when they will be in service regularly?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:53 am

I see it on other booking site. G123.
It is launched already but not going at higher speeds yet. Same as the other trains for now except for wifi on board.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
I see it on other booking site. G123.
It is launched already but not going at higher speeds yet. Same as the other trains for now except for wifi on board.
I have read many articles on the new trains, which appear to be G123 and G124. I have not, however, seen any news on when they will begin traveling at higher speeds or what the delivery schedules is for additional units.

Does anyone know when they will begin traveling at higher speeds, or when additional rail stock will be delivered for wifi on additional trains? Thanks.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:26 pm

These are new trains and they already have the wifi. However I don't think that they'll have the higher speeds any time soon. Thy would bump into the trains ahead of them. I suspect that this will only happen once the construction of the new tracks is completed.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
These are new trains and they already have the wifi. However I don't think that they'll have the higher speeds any time soon. Thy would bump into the trains ahead of them. I suspect that this will only happen once the construction of the new tracks is completed.
Maybe add a late connection in both directions an hour after the current last G departures? Would give more dinner time for business people and government officials.

Early morning probably less demand due to the excellent D night trains.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:36 am

Appears trains are speeding up begining in September. Schedules for trains in late September (both on 12306.cn and chinahighlights.com, etc.) show some trains like the 9a G2 running at 4:28 with two 2 min. stops. Interestingly, re: bumping into trains ahead of them, on September 21 at least, the G12 leaves SHA 8a, arrives BJ 13:33 (5 stops, incld 14 min in Langfang), while the G2 leaves SHA 9a, arrives BJ 13:28 (2 stops).

We are traveling in October and I have yet to see the schedules update for October on English sites (and can't make 12306.cn timetable lookup work via VPN and pasting "上海" for Shanghai), but I am hopeful they will soon.

A (purported) list of the trains that will run faster on this route is here: http://www.bestchinanews.com/Domestic/16469.html:

From September 21st onwards, the railway department will arrange 7 of the "Renaissance" EMU in the Beijing-Shanghai high-speed railway 350 km per hour, respectively, G3\/G4, G5\/G6, G1\/G2 as G7\/G8, G9\/G10, G13\/G14, G17\/G18 between Beijing and Shanghai, the entire running time of 4.5 hours.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:15 pm

12306 only shows schedules 30 days ahead. Agent website just extrapolate based on current schedules. Means nothing.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:51 pm

12306 only shows schedules 30 days ahead. Agent website just extrapolate based on current schedules. Means nothing.
Thanks, that makes sense. 12306 (and agent websites) do continue to extend out day by day with the "new" schedule with the 4:30 trains.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: A3 Gold
When the new "Fuxing Hao" / "Rejuvenation" trains start running at 350kph, they will decrease travel times. However, some articles online are misleading in saying times will decrease by an hour.

Here's one of those misleading articles:
Fortune: China Just Relaunched the World’s Fastest Train

From 21st September, the fastest trains will have overall travel time decreased by up to 22 minutes (G7 will be the quickest service taking 4:24, down from 4:56).

Here's a list of the fastest services, taken from a search from 12306.cn for Beijing-Shanghai services on 25th September:

G7 4:24 (down from 4:56)
G17 4:28 (down from 4:56)
G3 4:28 (down from 4:50)
G1 4:28 (down from 4:49)
G13 4:28 (down from 4:55)
G5 4:34 (down from 4:55)
G9 4:34 (no existing corresponding service)
G15 4:56 (down from 4:56)
Old Aug 27, 2017, 4:09 am

Great to see even further improvements to an already superb system. Keep it up China ^
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by itfcfan
Here's a list of the fastest services,
What they are:
G5 7:00 4:34 11:34
G1 9:00 4:28 13:28
G13 10:00 4:28 14:28
G3 14:00 4:28 18:28
G17 15:00 4:28 19:28
G7 19:00 4:24 23:24
G9 19:05 4:34 23:39
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:23 am

I have to agree with this. While, when everything works correctly flying may shave off an hour or two, the train is much more reliable. In my 4 years in China, I have been on one train that was late. The high speed from Shanghai to Beijing was 20 minutes late because we had to slow down for the final couple hundred kilometers due to snow.

And I will always take the comfort of the train over a plane.

Of course, if China wasn't more paranoid than the US about security, and one didn't have to go through a somewhat evasive security check to board a train, that would make the train a hands down winner.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by onuhistorian0116
I have to agree with this. While, when everything works correctly flying may shave off an hour or two, the train is much more reliable. In my 4 years in China, I have been on one train that was late. The high speed from Shanghai to Beijing was 20 minutes late because we had to slow down for the final couple hundred kilometers due to snow.

And I will always take the comfort of the train over a plane.

Of course, if China wasn't more paranoid than the US about security, and one didn't have to go through a somewhat evasive security check to board a train, that would make the train a hands down winner.
Not sure if I just got lucky but in my experiences boarding trains at Hongqiao, Hangzhou, and Beijingnan, security was awesome, and WAY better than U.S. or Chinese airports (only experienced PVG and PEK in China). At the entrance to the station (curbside), security was quick and efficient: staff ably dispersed passengers into the many open lanes, lines were very short, passports and tickets were checked in-line, and security itself was the opposite of TSA, with no opening of bags, harassing with "random selections", etc. I experienced no security beyond this other than the customary automated gate ticket check to access the platforms.

To be fair, I completely agree with your "China more paranoid than the US about security" at the airports - immigration and security departing PVG and PEK was a mess and (almost, not at all) made me wistful for TSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.