What do electrical outlets in China look like?

Subscribe
What do electric outlets in China look like? What is the shape of the plugs? I have a number of different plug adapters and want to bring the correct one to use for charging my camera and netbook in the hotel room.

I looked at this website that shows there are 3 different types:

http://electricaloutlet.org/
Typical (in one room!) are the flat Type A and angled Type I and the round pins you find in Europe. There are frequently two different types in a given outlet box. I haven't seen Type G in China, although you find them in Singapore and Hong Kong. Besides the two-pin type A, some outlets have a third (round) grounding pin, with the other two holes accepting both round and flat pins.

If you're bringing an adapter, I'd recommend
1) one that fits into the three-angled-pin outlet and into which you can plug two- or three-pin plugs. I often get a nasty spark plugging my three-pin computer power supply into an adapter without a ground, and once blew a power supply using a groundless adapter.
2) one that fits into a two-pin round outlet and accepts two-pin flat appliances…this one is less important, but is compact and light.
So looks like I'll bring 2, Type I and the round European pin style.
If your appliance needs a ground, then you have to use the angled Type I (same as Australia). For non-grounded plugs, in general you don't need an adapter if you're from the US.

Type G is used in Hong Kong.
You can encounter all three, sometimes within the same room. Adapters are cheap and small. Bring them all -- that's what I do.
I'm here in Beijing now and as the others said, there are literally 3 plug types by the desk. All are 220v although there is one 110v American style plug in the bathroom. I bring all my adapters just in case as each hotel and city will have different plugs (ask your hotel/lodging in advance).
Could be anything. Most common in newer buildings or recently renovated buildings are a dual outlet with type A (US style 2 prong) on the top and the type I angled 3 prong on the bottom.

If you come without the right adaptor plug in your kit, the hotel desk will usually have something you can borrow...also, any Chinese supermarket, department store, or regular market has universal adaptors which are inexpensive to purchase.

Tip: if bringing a hair dryer from the USA, don't plug it into a hotel bathroom socket marked for 110v/shavers only. Use an outlet in the room with a converter or if a dual-voltage, set appropriately. Or use the one provided by the hotel.
Dual-mode A/I plugs are *VERY* common.

I can't recall seeing a G.
Susie:

Many of us our anxiously awaiting your trip, and are prepared to respond to as many threads as you can possibly throw our way, but you should really stop worrying about stuff like this.
Quote: Susie:

Many of us our anxiously awaiting your trip, and are prepared to respond to as many threads as you can possibly throw our way, but you should really stop worrying about stuff like this.
I'm not worrying about the plugs, just starting to mentally pack. I have so much travel related stuff already that I don't want to go buy more if I can just bring the correct stuff with me.

I am keeping you all on your toes with all of my questions being thrown at you.
And hopefully I am amusing you, too. I know I'm having fun... ; )
Steve Kropla has a brilliant site that covers travel technology issues.

http://kropla.com/

You will find his plug guide here:

http://kropla.com/electric2.htm

I always check it before a trip so that I know what plug adapters to bring.
This is the type of wall plate you'll most often see in Chinese hotels of all star levels:

aiiii ya I'm sitting in my 1000000th hotel in China and ALL of them have the ones that have 3 on the bottom and the top area for US plugs. You don't need to bring anything. And, if you need one, the hotel will have one. Btw I'm sitting in a 129 rmb Hanting Express in Jinan so I can assure you that the international hotel you'll be staying in wilk have an outlet for your plugs
Surprisingly, since 2010 I have never had an issue using a US plug in any hotel in China.
Quote: This is the type of wall plate you'll most often see in Chinese hotels of all star levels:

Hmm...when I was in Zhuhai, I only saw A-type outlets, not dual A/C ones.