Cheapest way to get a Lhasa, Tibet permit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest way to get a Lhasa, Tibet permit

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by imm2b
I agree with jiejie. One day in Tibet is not worth it. FWIW, our 5-day private tour of Tibet by Snow Lion was just over $600 per person for party of 2. That includes a long day to Lake Namtso, which I think is large portion of the tour cost.
Work schedule does not permit longer...would the cost go up my much if I added an out-of-Lhasa excursion and stay two nights?

Is it totally crazy to ask for a rate of 2,000 RNB for a one day tour and Lhasa permit? Im not sure how much the actual permit costs the agency.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Work schedule does not permit longer...would the cost go up my much if I added an out-of-Lhasa excursion and stay two nights?

Is it totally crazy to ask for a rate of 2,000 RNB for a one day tour and Lhasa permit? Im not sure how much the actual permit costs the agency.
I don't know how much the cost will go up, but I can't imagine it will be too much by adding a 2nd day. You can ask them for a discount, but I doubt they will go for it. From my experience, their price is pretty much set, not much room to negotiate. The permit cost is minimal to the agency, something like 200 RMB per person.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Iirc the guide fees schedule is set by the government, and starts at around y1000/day.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by imm2b
I don't know how much the cost will go up, but I can't imagine it will be too much by adding a 2nd day. You can ask them for a discount, but I doubt they will go for it. From my experience, their price is pretty much set, not much room to negotiate. The permit cost is minimal to the agency, something like 200 RMB per person.
If that's the case, then even an 800 RMB markup for the trouble of getting the visa would be fine plus 1,000 RNB for a tour guide. If no hotel is needed, even 2,500 RNB would be fair compared to charging 3,000-4,500 range!

When I suggested even 3,000 to one agency, they scoffed. Seems a bit mafia-like if they are all overcharging that much!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Wikitravel states that we need to apply for permits 200 days in advance - is that still the case? I'm planning to go early Nov (before Thanksgiving), so am already inside the 200 days.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:44 pm

200 days??? Not at all. Ask the tour company. Usually a few days.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Don't know why wikitravel states that. Here's what Lonely planet states:

Agencies can only apply for permits 15 days before departure, so there is invariably a last-minute rush to get permits posted to you in time. This obviously complicates booking flight and train tickets; we recommend buying travel insurance and booking a fully refundable ticket if possible.
Travel from Nepal to Tibet brings its own complications, since foreigners can only travel on a group visa (a separate piece of paper), which is only valid for up to three weeks and is almost impossible to extend. If you already have a Chinese visa in your passport it will be cancelled.

For previous poster who asked about a short trip - keep in mind your body takes some time to get acclimated to the elevation. That's why the high-speed from Chengdu to Lhasa is equipped with oxygen and breathing chambers, and riders get one whole day above 5000 ft to get acclimated!

That's why I'm thinking about taking the friendship hwy from Kathmandu (4500 ft) to Lhasa. Give my body more time to get used to the elevation.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by eethan
Don't know why wikitravel states that. Here's what Lonely planet states:

Agencies can only apply for permits 15 days before departure, so there is invariably a last-minute rush to get permits posted to you in time. This obviously complicates booking flight and train tickets; we recommend buying travel insurance and booking a fully refundable ticket if possible.
Travel from Nepal to Tibet brings its own complications, since foreigners can only travel on a group visa (a separate piece of paper), which is only valid for up to three weeks and is almost impossible to extend. If you already have a Chinese visa in your passport it will be cancelled.

For previous poster who asked about a short trip - keep in mind your body takes some time to get acclimated to the elevation. That's why the high-speed from Chengdu to Lhasa is equipped with oxygen and breathing chambers, and riders get one whole day above 5000 ft to get acclimated!

That's why I'm thinking about taking the friendship hwy from Kathmandu (4500 ft) to Lhasa. Give my body more time to get used to the elevation.
Tibet Travel Permits are generally taking 2-3 weeks to process, but most travelers start a dialogue with one or more travel agents 2-3 months in advance.

The overland road from Nepal to Lhasa and the border crossing at Gyirong is currently closed to foreigners in both directions. Whether it will open up by the time of your trip is unknown. It was supposed to open last summer and we're still waiting.

Traveling overland from Kathmandu to Lhasa (via Everest Base Camp) is actually more difficult on most people than just getting to Lhasa and recovering, then touring Tibet. This is because the settlements available for overnight stops are not situated at intervals that are conducive to acclimatization.

Probably the most reliable way to minimize altitude problems is to start in Yunnan (Kunming), then travel overland heading progressively higher, and make stops at Dali for a couple of days, then Lijiang/Tiger Leaping Gorge for 2-4 days, then Shangri-La (Zhongdian) for a couple of days. S-L is nearly as high as Lhasa. Fly nonstop from there to Lhasa and altitude issues should not be much of a problem. This does require time, but it's a lot cheaper to spend most of the acclimatization period outside Tibet vs using that very expensive in-Tibet time to drag around. Second choice would be acclimatizing in Xiahe, Gansu (via Xian and Lanzhou), then flying nonstop from Xiahe Gannan airport to Lhasa. Third choice would be Xining for a couple of days. Taking the train into Lhasa isn't as useful for acclimatization as many people believe.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Sitting in a vehicle, whether it is a bus or a train, does very little for acclimatization. Otherwise you would already feel acclimizated coming off a long-haul flight in an aircraft pressurised to around 2,500 m.

Slowly progressing in elevation each day while remaining active is much better. Also, when you walk around, go up steps, etc. you will have a sense of how you are doing in terms of acclimatization. The itinerary suggested by jiejie will be much better for altitude issues than any bus or train ride directly from a low elevation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.