Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Bringing food products to China

Old May 17, 2011, 11:34 am
Original Poster

I plan on bringing some safe food to eat for my next trip to China. I'm thinking of long life milk and cereals.

Where can I find a list of what I am not allowed to bring to China?
Old May 19, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, Very Confused
"The following items may be imported into China by passengers staying less than 6 months without incurring customs duty:
400 cigarettes (600 cigarettes for stays of over six months); two bottles (up to 75cl) of alcoholic beverages (four bottles for stays of over six months); a reasonable amount of perfume for personal use.

Chinese customs authorities may enforce strict regulations concerning temporary importation into or export from China of items such as antiquities, banned publications, some religious literature, or vehicles not conforming to Chinese standards. It is advisable to contact the Embassy of China in Washington or one of China's consulates in the United States for specific information regarding customs requirements."

no idea if there is an official banned list, but common sense should prevail.

no raw fruits, vegetables, meats
no drugs
limited amounts of booze
if you bring multiples of the same electronic items (e.g. ipads) you could be asked to pay a fine. suggestion - carry one, pack one.

long life milk and cereals are fine to bring in, but if you're going a major city you can pick them up in any store. I can buy organic new zeland milk at carefour or President cheese, etc. Cereals are also pretty common through pricey at time.
Old May 21, 2011, 9:56 am

Loking at a couple of your other posts it seems you are going to Shanghai. No need to be taking any 'safe' food at all.

I'm not sure whether you are talking about 'safe' in terms of quality or in terms of not including things like '100 year old cured donkey penis' and the like - but either way you have no need to worry. But if you are worried, Carrefour has a load of imported stuff, and notwithstanding that there are plenty of plain/bland Chinese dishes you can always head for the Golden Arches!!

And cartons of milk in your checked bags really isn't a good idea!
Old May 21, 2011, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Look, I know what is available in China. I have been there for awhile. Since I am flying business class and can bring 3x 23KG suitcases to China when I am coming back. I wish to take full advantage of it. I will be leaving Shanghai soon after I arrive and I don't want to spend my time shopping in Shanghai buying food products I want. By all means, I do not suggest a regular person to bring long life milk with himself if he is going to Shanghai.

I think I am going to contact the embassy on Monday. Japan has a limitation on rice importations. I don't want to find out that China has something similar. There is a sign saying your not allowed to import meat but custom officials allowed me to bring AU meat through the HKG-SZX crossing.

How much is the long life NZ milk in Carrefour?

Last edited by Shimon; May 21, 2011 at 10:27 am
Old May 21, 2011, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Shimon
Since I am flying business class and can bring 3x 23KG suitcases to China when I am coming back.
You should focus on bringing items you can sell for a profit (without violating any customs regulations, of course). It is possible to get decent milk in China.
Old May 21, 2011, 10:04 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
It wouldn't surprise me to see a laowai throw down a blanket in front of Xidan
Bookstore on Chang'an Jie and sell iPad 2s. That's money!
Old May 21, 2011, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
It wouldn't surprise me to see a laowai throw down a blanket in front of Xidan
Bookstore on Chang'an Jie and sell iPad 2s. That's money!
Please stay focused; Patron is where the money is!
Old May 21, 2011, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Please stay focused; Patron is where the money is!
Don't doubt John Paul Dejoria, who is my homey, made a lot of bank on that. Yeah!
Old May 21, 2011, 10:22 pm

Don't doubt John Paul Dejoria, who is my homey, made a lot of bank on that. Yeah!
I pitched him (in person) on China ~6 years ago (and even wrote a biz plan), but things never got off the ground. The majority of the Patron in China (miniscule amount) is hand carried on airplanes.
Old May 21, 2011, 10:30 pm

Great topic op, I will be traveling and was wondering myself how strict they are about bringing in frozen meat (for kosher)? Anyone with personal experiance please let me know.
Old May 21, 2011, 11:04 pm

I pitched him (in person) on China ~6 years ago (and even wrote a biz plan), but things never got off the ground.
That's very short-sighted. With a culture fixated on hair, what better place
to offer John Paul Mitchell Systems.

He could have done a promotional tour on his Harley throughout the PRC.
Brought over Peter Fonda and promoted eternal youth. Love Ride BEIJING to SHANGHAI.

Last edited by anacapamalibu; May 21, 2011 at 11:09 pm
Old May 21, 2011, 11:27 pm

That's very short-sighted. With a culture fixated on hair, what better place
to offer John Paul Mitchell Systems.

He could have done a promotional tour on his Harley throughout the PRC.
Brought over Peter Fonda and promoted eternal youth. Love Ride BEIJING to SHANGHAI.
It's not really his fault; the deal was tied to another (completely unrelated) project that didn't pencil for us. If the opportunity to work with him were to emerge again, I would jump on it in a heartbeat.
Old May 22, 2011, 12:07 am
ucc

It is possible to get decent milk in China.
Are you sure about that?
Old May 22, 2011, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by ucc
Are you sure about that?
Yes. While I can't vouch for Shimon's city, BJ and SH are quite civilized.
Old May 22, 2011, 10:56 am
Original Poster

How much money can I make on bringing iPad 2s? I am not looking to waste to much time to sell it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.