Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 28, 2014, 8:47 am

PLEASE READ FIRST: China Board FAQ/Most Important Threads

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2011, 1:15 am
ucc

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Ok so I was writing quick as we are just getting this thread going. Changed, but if you have suggestions let us know.
Much better now, sounds like a real Chinese southerner
(欢迎临)
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ucc
Much better now, sounds like a real Chinese southerner
(欢迎临)
I don't understand, care to elaborate???
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:13 pm
ucc

I don't understand, care to elaborate???
Sorry I was just joking about your typo - should be 光(guang)临 instead of 观(guan)临。Some southern folks can't distinguish n and ng.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 2:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ucc
Sorry I was just joking about your typo - should be 光(guang)临 instead of 观(guan)临。Some southern folks can't distinguish n and ng.
I could swear that I learned the latter in my HS Chinese classes (Taiwanese teacher), but I've never paid much attention to this since. I have no trouble distinguishing "n" from "ng", but 山西/陕西 continues to perplex me to this day.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ucc
Jeez, you're right. Typo, quick fingers on pinyin. I was reading your message and was going nuts as I thought you were quoting me and couldn't figure out how 光临 was incorrect.
Old May 20, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
BofA customer using CCB ATM - no foreign transaction fees

Banks & Exchanging Money

Obtaining/Exchanging RMB Cash:

2. ATM. Many travelers feel that using ATM’s is the safest and best option to obtain cash. Presently, Chinese banks do not charge ATM fees though your home bank might. Obtaining cash via ATM’s offer some of the best exchange rates, and convenience is undeniable. Few other tips:

• ATMs are abundant in China although some smaller branches (even of major banks) may not work despite logo’s indicating otherwise. Smaller cities may not have ATM’s or may not work with your card, so plan ahead and stock up on cash in a larger city.
• Make sure your card is in good shape. It is often wise to bring two cards, with one being a backup. ATM’s accept both four and six digit PINs.
• Your home country bank may have an agreement with a local bank, so it may be worth a phone call to avoid additional fees.
• Using an ATM inside/adjacent a bank branch is advisable in case you have issues using the ATM. It is easier to work with someone live rather than dealing with an after-hours service in Chinese.
• Cash withdrawal limits are typically 2000 or 2500 RMB per transaction. This is a limit imposed by Chinese banks for ATM withdrawals. However, you can simply perform numerous consecutive transactions at a time up to your bank’s limit (no need to retrieve and then re-inset your card.
In regards to getting RMB cash at ATM's, China Construction Bank (CCB) is part of the "Global ATM Alliance" which allows you to get cash directly from your foreign bank account (List of Banks), with some foreign transaction fees waived.

Bank of America is a shareholder of CCB and BofA customers are not charged the transaction fee when obtaining RMB cash at CCB ATM's. Currency is exchanged at spot rate. I personally have accounts with BofA and CCB and have gotten cash (2000rmb per day limit) at CCB ATM's using my BofA ATM card multiple times with no foreign transaction fees charged.
Old May 21, 2011, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Henry82
In regards to getting RMB cash at ATM's, China Construction Bank (CCB) is part of the "Global ATM Alliance"
There are 5+ banks in my local area and all of them support foreign cards. The only reason to go out of your way to use a CCB ATM, is if you are trying to withdraw from a BofA account; otherwise, those guys hit you with close to $20 in fees. I'm in the process of moving away from BofA myself because: 1) my CCB ATMs frequently run out of money on Sundays; and 2) CCB doesn't have very good coverage in Beijing.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
wrong thread ...
Old Oct 29, 2011, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver

Transit Without Visa (TWOV)
• There are some routings that are A-B-C-D with B, C being two different Chinese transit airports and B-C technically a domestic segment. It is actually legal to do this but may present some head scratching, especially if there is a change of airline in the middle somewhere.
Due to the QF shutdown, I am thinking of doing YVR/PEK/PVG/MEL. All metal is Air China, and the flight number from PEK to PVG and PVG to MEL is the same (177). No time to get a Chinese visa. I am a Canadian citizen.

Any experiences, negative or positive?

Last edited by mre5765; Oct 29, 2011 at 4:13 am
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Meeting Up with Other FT-ers in China

Right now we only have two master meet up threads, limited to Shanghai and Beijing. If you plan to be in another city in China and wish to link up with other FT-ers, feel free to create a new thread. Otherwise, for the two big cities go here:

Beijing Meet Up Thread

Shanghai Meet Up Thread
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

I have been updating the Activities/Tours/Places to visit links in our guide. If you find another thread you think is worthy to be linked or is missing, please let me or one of the other China Ambassador's know. Thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Few updates made to indicate new DCC thread and 10 year visa. Any other updates required please let me know.
Old May 17, 2023, 11:54 am

Could use some serious updates for this wiki now that it’s post-COVID…
Old May 17, 2023, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by tailorgiven
I completely forgot that this thread existed. TBH, during the past 3 years, in addition to activity being sparse in this forum, the ~10 posters who have stayed the course are all up to speed on the basics.

But, you do raise a good point. Since people will presumably start to travel to China again fairly soon, an update is probably in order.

As I look over the Wikipost at the top of this thread, I think the topic list is okay (maybe add Wechat/Aliplay), but some of the redirect targets could be changed (e.g. the visa index item points to an old thread).

Last edited by moondog; May 17, 2023 at 9:10 pm
Old May 18, 2023, 4:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by tailorgiven
Go for it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.