Medical Costs in China/Travel Insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medical Costs in China/Travel Insurance

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2011, 1:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

At the risk of getting off topic, I helped a Chinese doctor edit a paper for a journal a few months ago; the thesis was that the system here is screwed up because doctors receive far more money from pharma company kickbacks than they do from their employers (basically, they are inclined to give out scrips for expensive medications that benefit them directly in favor of the right stuff; obviously, there are good doctors around as well, but he provided some pretty compelling data to support his assertions).
Old Apr 15, 2011, 2:28 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by moondog
At the risk of getting off topic, I helped a Chinese doctor edit a paper for a journal a few months ago; the thesis was that the system here is screwed up because doctors receive far more money from pharma company kickbacks than they do from their employers (basically, they are inclined to give out scrips for expensive medications that benefit them directly in favor of the right stuff; obviously, there are good doctors around as well, but he provided some pretty compelling data to support his assertions).
This is exactly what I am talking about. When you have travel insurance they can prescribe the medicine that gives them extra income thus they do not need red envelopes from foreigners with insurance.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:06 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Well, actually (like the US) most doctors in China are addicted to cigarettes. That goes a long way.
"Like the US" I don't think so.

An international review of tobacco smoking in the medical profession:

The lowest overall smoking rate was documented in the United States (2%)

In China for example, Li et al [55] reported that tobacco smoking rates among physicians have actually been increasing in recent years.

Almost half of all Chinese (45%) were revealed to be current smokers in two separate studies

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/7/115
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by moondog
The Chinese physicians probably got the idea for that revenue stream
from foreign drug manufacturers.

Eli Lilly & Co has previously said that it was under scrutiny by the U.S. government over its compliance with bribery laws in a number of countries including Poland. .

Baxter International has also said that it has received a request from the Justice Department and SEC for information about its practices overseas related to U.S. bribery laws and that it was cooperating as well.

Johnson & Johnson agreed to pay a $21.4 million fine to settle Justice Department criminal charges and pay more than $48.6 million in disgorgement and interest to settle allegations by the Securities and Exchange Commission,
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
"Like the US" I don't think so.

An international review of tobacco smoking in the medical profession:

The lowest overall smoking rate was documented in the United States (2%)

In China for example, Li et al [55] reported that tobacco smoking rates among physicians have actually been increasing in recent years.

Almost half of all Chinese (45%) were revealed to be current smokers in two separate studies

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/7/115
Well, maybe according to reports. But I work in the medical device industry and have visited over 70 hospitals in China. I can tell you that the doctors all smoke. I've even seen one smoke in the OR while operating.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:15 pm

Don't doubt your observations of physician's smoking habits in China.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.