Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help! Booked an accidental 23hr layover in Guangzhou

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2011, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Help! Booked an accidental 23hr layover in Guangzhou

I get the moron award for doing this, but I "accidentally" booked a 23 hr layover from MNL to LAX. If I had been paying attention I never would have bought this ticket The flight is with Southern China Airlines and leaves Wednesday.

Anyway, I haven't found much online for info about this airport other than there's a place that charges $16 for a coffee that I will need to avoid.

- Is there a lounge I could buy a day-pass at?
- Is there a hotel inside the airport? I don't plan on clearing customs, so it would need to be inside the terminal? (rush visa costs $230)
- Does Guangzhou allow some kind of temporary visa?
- Any advice? It would cost me around $300 to change the flights, so I'm prbly gonna be stuck with this one.

Cheers!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 6:52 am

Programs: All of em...
OUCH! That sucks. Pack light, I just had a hay day with China Southern Airlines and an overage on checked luggage fees.

We had a lay-over in Guangzhou last week and the international terminal is surprisingly really small and lacks options for food.

The coffee shop has $10-$15 coffee and coffee style drinks. They're entree dinner plates are only about $10-$15 though, and the food is really good.

There was another restaurant but they said they don't take credit cards, only local currency (Chinese Yen), which I thought was pretty odd.
The coffee shop takes cards.

I DID walk by a VIP lounge in the terminal, but I didn't stop to see if there was a fee to get in. Best of luck.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Gold
CAN is a depressing, boring airport. I don't think you can get any temporary visa there. There's a Novotel hotel but I think it's not airside, so you would need to have a visa to get to it. I may not be right about that. The food choices airside are terrible. If I were you I'd bite the bullet and pay to change the ticket.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Cool thanks -- that's all helpful (not what I wanted to hear, but helpful)

The Novotel appears to have changed to a Pullman. I tried to call them to see if they knew anything but only an automated message played for two minutes. If I can get the hotelroom for $120 or so, that's still better than rebooking.

@x712xdamx I thought I was allowed two times 23kg on my flight for luggage, but I'll double check

Last edited by gatorjos; Mar 27, 2011 at 9:39 am
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:16 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow as the thread moves to the Travel->China forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by x712xdamx
OUCH! That sucks. Pack light, I just had a hay day with China Southern Airlines and an overage on checked luggage fees.
Only because YOU screwed up. OP gets 2 x 23 Kg allowance for his route.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Mar 27, 2011 at 10:27 am
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
I won't give any advice about visa regualations for US pp holders, but I guess you'll find the appropriate informaiton in another thread.

Look up what visa is necessary, take the metro (or a taxi) to downtown, enjoy Guangzhou sights (there are plenty), maybe head for a hotel (prices very reasonable) and head back to the airport 21 hours later.

CAN airport is my favorite airport to connect in China, as it is fairly small and compact. That said, it's a typical Chinese one what concerns dining options- however, I would generally not spend 23 h at any airport in the world but head out to the city...
Old Mar 27, 2011, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RI2KH2SU
CAN is a depressing, boring airport. I don't think you can get any temporary visa there. There's a Novotel hotel but I think it's not airside, so you would need to have a visa to get to it. I may not be right about that. The food choices airside are terrible. If I were you I'd bite the bullet and pay to change the ticket.
You can transit without visa for up to 24 hours (i.e. can leave the airport).
Old Mar 27, 2011, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
You can transit without visa for up to 24 hours (i.e. can leave the airport).
All the Chinese embassy/consulate websites state you cannot leave the airport with the 24-hour visa-free transit (not including Shanghai). Of course, I don't see how they can enforce it. Still, if something happens to the traveler outside the airport, there may be consequences.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rkkwan
All the Chinese embassy/consulate websites state you cannot leave the airport with the 24-hour visa-free transit (not including Shanghai). Of course, I don't see how they can enforce it. Still, if something happens to the traveler outside the airport, there may be consequences.
You absolutely can leave the airport; we've had several threads about this in recent months, and the verdict is unambiguous. For more information, run a search for timatic + China.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
You absolutely can leave the airport; we've had several threads about this in recent months, and the verdict is unambiguous. For more information, run a search for timatic + China.
I respect most of your posts in this forum, but that is unambiguous? How about what's printed in a few official Chinese government websites? (bold are mine).

China Embassy in Washington, DC:
Visas are not required of aliens who hold air tickets to the final destination and have booked seats on international airliners flying directly through China, and will stay in a transit city for less than 24 hours without leaving the airport.
China Visa Office in London:
Foreigners who have confirmed onward tickets and seats on international flights and directly transit through China and stay for no more than 24 hours within the airport boundaries shall not need to apply for a transit visa. Anyone desiring to go beyond the airport boundaries temporarily should obtain permission from the frontier inspection office.
China Embassy in Ottawa:
Flight crew-members and foreign passengers are exempted from visa requirements should they stay within airports for no longer than 24 hours. Otherwise, transit visa should be obtained beforehand.
China Embassy in Canberra:
You need to apply for a Transit Visa (G Visa) if your transit is more than 24 hours, or if you have to go out of the airport regardless of the duration of your transit.
Just which "unambiguous verdict" should the traveler provide to whoever authorities when he/she is being questioned for being outside the airport without a visa?
Old Mar 27, 2011, 5:39 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
[QUOTE=rkkwan;16111703] How about what's printed in a few official Chinese government websites?

From my experience a printout from a website doesn't override the law.

Regulations on Examination and Approval of Permanent Residence of Aliens in China

Article 8 Aliens may be exempt from going through the procedures for obtaining a transit visa if they hold a through ticket and have booked seats on international airliners flying immediately through China and will stay in the transit city for not exceeding 24 hours without leaving the airport; aliens who wish to leave the airport shall apply to the border inspection office for stopover permits
http://english.people.com.cn/94487/9...8/6449659.html
Old Mar 27, 2011, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
From my experience a printout from a website doesn't override the law.

Regulations on Examination and Approval of Permanent Residence of Aliens in China

Article 8 Aliens may be exempt from going through the procedures for obtaining a transit visa if they hold a through ticket and have booked seats on international airliners flying immediately through China and will stay in the transit city for not exceeding 24 hours without leaving the airport; aliens who wish to leave the airport shall apply to the border inspection office for stopover permits
http://english.people.com.cn/94487/9...8/6449659.html
Yes, in fact, it states the same under the quote from the China Embassy in London I listed above.

So, I stand corrected. It is legal and possible to leave airport without a visa. But a permit from the border/frontier inspection office is required.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

One question is whether the airport hotel is considered part of the airport -- I would think so...
It would be cool trying to go into Guangzhou proper, but not sure if I'm going to find a chill immigration officer at 10 pm, and that's getting kind of late to go find a hotel etc.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 6:40 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by rkkwan
So, I stand corrected. It is legal and possible to leave airport without a visa. But a permit from the border/frontier inspection office is required.
Need the diamond shaped stamp in your passport, otherwise you
have entered China illegally.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalleboo/4189125154/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.