Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Train from Shanghai to Wuxi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Train from Shanghai to Wuxi

I will be travelling around Feb 14 or so.

I will arrive into PVG at 16:30. I will take the Maglev to Shanghai where it seems I can buy a ticket for the trains at the downstairs Maglev station. I won't have a hotel in Shanghai so can't have them buy the tickets ahead for me.

With the New Year travel rush I'd like to be as informed as I can to make my travels as smooth as possible. I have also read that several FTers have had more trouble getting tickets in general (these were posts in late 2010).

I would like to take a train from Shanghai to Wuxi the same day I arrive. And then get into Suzhou as well at some point from there later on as a day trip or on my way back to Shanghai.

1. Can someone give me an idea of where I can get the high speed train tickets at the Maglev station (downstairs-any other shops/waypoints I can use)?

2. What denomination bills are okay for the kiosks?

3. Is Shanghai South train station best for most high speed train options?

4. It seems Wuxi (and Suzhou) are on the stops of many trains - but is there still risk of being oversold? I think moondog said yes, even for short trips like this it can get sold out...and it's New Year as well...

5. Finally, if I ever make it to Wuxi , can I walk from the Wuxi train station to the Sheraton Wuxi Binhu or is that street too big/busy/no sidewalk? Google maps shows it as just across the canal...

THANKS for your help!!!

Useful threads I used:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...n-tickets.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ay-travel.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...metable-2.html

www.cnvol.com
http://www.tielu.org/
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You're making things way too complicated here. Just go to your hotel (Maglev or not) and ask them: 1) to buy a ticket for you; or 2) to advise you of the nearest 火车受票处. Just relax.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:41 pm

I would double check the hotel location.

The original Wuxi Sheraton switched to a local hotel brand. They built another Sheraton but I don't think that the new one is near the train station (not walking distance).
Old Jan 20, 2011, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I double checked - the Sheraton Wuxi Binhu is not right across from the train station.

Sheraton Wuxi Binhu in google maps provides a closer location than Sheraton Wuxi.

Thanks for the Chinese characters - that will help too.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
There are two main types of trains from Shanghai to Wuxi during the day, the semi-highspeed D trains that take about an hour, and the true high-speed G trains that take about 40 minutes.

Both types of trains depart to Wuxi from both the old main Shanghai station, and the new Shanghai Hongqiao near SHA. Don't go to Shanghai South - which only has direct slower train to Wuxi at night.

I am not an expert on Shanghai transport, but Subway Line 2 goes direct from the Maglev station to Hongqiao Station. Shanghai Station is closer, but requires a switch on the subway. Don't know about travel time on taxis to either station.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
I am not an expert on Shanghai transport, but Subway Line 2 goes direct from the Maglev station to Hongqiao Station. Shanghai Station is closer, but requires a switch on the subway. Don't know about travel time on taxis to either station.
Both subway options are lousy enough to avoid IMO:

-Longyang Rd. to Hongqiao Stn takes a long time
-and, don't get me started on the People's Square transfer with luggage that the second entails

Coming from the airport, there are buses to both locations, but I was under the impression that the OP simply wanted to buy a train ticket on the day he arrives (as opposed to actually taking a train).
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Both subway options are lousy enough to avoid IMO:

-Longyang Rd. to Hongqiao Stn takes a long time
-and, don't get me started on the People's Square transfer with luggage that the second entails

Coming from the airport, there are buses to both locations, but I was under the impression that the OP simply wanted to buy a train ticket on the day he arrives (as opposed to actually taking a train).
The OP says he likes to take a train to Wuxi on the day he arrives.

But thanks for the clarification about the subways. I really know nothing about Shanghai's current traffic/transport situation. Just interested in the trains.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
The OP says he likes to take a train to Wuxi on the day he arrives.
Good catch; I stand corrected. In that case, a bus from the airport directly to Wuxi seems like a no brainer:

-faster
-cheaper
-no uncertainty about ability to get train tickets
-avoid train station
-more comfortable (on the whole; the train itself is more comfortable than the bus, but that's only ~30% of the total journey)
Old Jan 20, 2011, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Good catch; I stand corrected. In that case, a bus from the airport directly to Wuxi seems like a no brainer:
Agreed.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

I didn't even think about a bus! Definitely will do this as I am going to Wuxi directly after arriving - I'll just make sure to do the Maglev on the way back to PVG. Looks like I'll have just missed the 16:20 bus.

I'll try to catch some of the trains too as I've never done that in China yet!

Thanks again!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 5:53 am

Programs: SQ
yes..the bus is the best option...if you're keen on taking the train back for the return buy the tickets in advance from the self service stations at shanghai main station...everyone will tell you that you can't get a ticket outside of the departure city but you can..i just bought tickets r/t to suzhou there...its always good to be safe with the spring festival...but you can always get a standing room ticket in the worst case ..and avoid hongqiao..the trains to the main station are usually more direct and an easy taxi/subway to hotels
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:26 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
yes..the bus is the best option...if you're keen on taking the train back for the return buy the tickets in advance from the self service stations at shanghai main station...everyone will tell you that you can't get a ticket outside of the departure city but you can..i just bought tickets r/t to suzhou there...its always good to be safe with the spring festival...but you can always get a standing room ticket in the worst case ..and avoid hongqiao..the trains to the main station are usually more direct and an easy taxi/subway to hotels
Roundtrip - that's the keyword. You can buy roundtrip tickets in Shanghai, but you cannot buy a one-way from Wuxi to Shanghai in Shanghai.

It would be a major change and huge improvement if this was possible now.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Roundtrip - that's the keyword. You can buy roundtrip tickets in Shanghai, but you cannot buy a one-way from Wuxi to Shanghai in Shanghai.

That, and, if the OP takes the bus, he will not be able to stop by SH Stn (because the bus goes nowhere near it).
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl

NOOOO - I promise you that you can. I bought Shanghai - Kunshan, Kunshan-Wuxi, Wuxi-Shanghai. The machine said something like 'The departure city is Kunshan, please go to Kunshan station to book' It had a yes and a no option. I clicked yes and it let me put in the money, and the ticket came out. I told this to my Chinese friends and they were surprised too....but it works, truts me
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
NOOOO - I promise you that you can.
That makes sense to me, but still won't help the OP (if he takes the bus).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.