Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai taxis with a toddler

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Shanghai taxis with a toddler

Mrs. Milesjamie and I will be taking Milesjamie Jr. to Shanghai for a couple weeks in May. Shanghai is city we know well and love. Around Shanghai we usually travel by taxi. What has me most concerned at the moment is safe transport of Jr. -- who will be 13mo, ~21lb, ~31inches.

Before I go further, I should say that I know about (and have read) the Traveling with Children forum on FT, as well as car-seat.org, but my question boils down to Shanghai taxis.

I just can't recall if the Santanas or other typical taxi cars have a child seat tether hook at the top of the seats. My guess is that they don't, and/or are covered by those ubiquitous white sheets that can make even regular seatbelt access a bit difficult. Has anyone had experience with the top tether and/or know if it is there? For the happily childless, I am talking about the hook where a child seat attaches, behind the headrest. E.g.,

The tether option opens up a range of lighter and less bulky options. If Jr. were a little bit bigger I could use one of these:

as described here: http://www.travelswithbaby.com/gear/..._ridesafer.htm. I may still buy one of those to try out, knowing that Jr. is smaller than the approved size, in case that would work.

My fallback is to take a small forward-facing car seat, which I can install via seat-belt (no tether) in about a minute, but then need to lug around.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not having children, I've never looked for one. However, I can tell you this -- it is the rare taxi in China that even has a working seat belt. The newer taxis do and, perhaps, they will have the hook that you're talking about. However, there are so many old rattletraps running around, I wouldn't plan on finding one with any consistency, if at all. If you're staying at an upscale hotel, you can arrange for a "black car" -- a private car that costs about double the taxi rate. These are usually nice vehicles -- Mercedes and the like -- well maintained, with, at least, seat belts.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by PTravel
Not having children, I've never looked for one. However, I can tell you this -- it is the rare taxi in China that even has a working seat belt. The newer taxis do and, perhaps, they will have the hook that you're talking about. However, there are so many old rattletraps running around, I wouldn't plan on finding one with any consistency, if at all. If you're staying at an upscale hotel, you can arrange for a "black car" -- a private car that costs about double the taxi rate. These are usually nice vehicles -- Mercedes and the like -- well maintained, with, at least, seat belts.
Agree with this. I think your realistic transport options are:

1) Engage private car to your specifications, that can fit a seat or harness as you prefer. This will obviously be relatively expensive.

2) Use random taxis and hold your child in your lap or next to you in the back seat. No restraints--sort of like most of us did daily decades ago in the pre-seat belts/pre-safety fixation era. I wouldn't count on being able to lug around a car seat and being able to secure it, so I think that idea is not one to craft a strategy around.

3) Use buses and subway and on foot, for locations/distances where this is feasible.

Maybe combination of all three?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K / HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

For couple of weeks, it worth to have a private car with driver. You don't have to lug car seat around, just the Jr. -
Old Jan 12, 2011, 5:28 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
I have seen quite a few kids riding like this in China.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tylerdu...n/photostream/
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:21 am

Programs: Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, Very Confused
we're with out toddler in Shanghai right now. most taxis have no safety systems (seatbelts or in some cases not even doors than latch right). there are some newer minivan type taxis (expo taxis) which look like they have better safety features, but I haven't had a chance to ride in one yet;there aren't that many so you may need to wait a bit for an open one at peak times.

a private car is your best option. The ubiquitous Builk GL8 minivan will run about 13-15000 RMB per month (the driver only get ~2000RMB/month so you may be able to work out something better). This gives you a driver from about 7am-7pm 5 days a week. They're happy to work weekends and overtime which you can either negotiate directly or pay more through the company. It's relatively cheap for what you get and you can leave your seat buckled into the car instead of having to lug it around.

Send me an IM if you'd like the name of the service my company uses. They have drivers in both Puxi and Pudong area and you can reqest a driver close to where you're staying to minimize gas and commute time if you don't want to have him just sitting and waiting for you.

Last edited by medic-again; Jan 14, 2011 at 6:34 am Reason: corrected pricing
Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
If children safety is a big issue, then go with the Expo taxis. They have belts that work in the rear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.