Wiki Posts
Search

Suzhou to Shanghai taxi

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Alaska, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Suzhou to Shanghai taxi

My son is studying abroad at Suzhou University and is coming back to the US next week.

He says he has too much luggage to negotiate the train back to Shanghai/PVG.

Does anyone know of a reliable long-distance taxi service from Suzhou to Shanghai?

He is working on this also, but when he is stressed his language skills are stretched to the maximum.

If we could give him a number to call it would be great.

Also, his flight is at 1:30p. Should he go to Shanghai the night before?

Thank you.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:58 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by woot
My son is studying abroad at Suzhou University and is coming back to the US next week.

He says he has too much luggage to negotiate the train back to Shanghai/PVG.

Does anyone know of a reliable long-distance taxi service from Suzhou to Shanghai?

He is working on this also, but when he is stressed his language skills are stretched to the maximum.

If we could give him a number to call it would be great.

Also, his flight is at 1:30p. Should he go to Shanghai the night before?

Thank you.

There's another thread about this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...-suzhou-2.html
The suggestion in post #17 has been "flyertalk-approved" in the last post. So, here's the recommendation

A flight at 1:30 pm leaves enough time to go to PVG from Suzhou. Spending the night in Shanghai probably means more hassle than going straight from Suzhou.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Alaska, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
There's another thread about this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...-suzhou-2.html
The suggestion in post #17 has been "flyertalk-approved" in the last post. So, here's the recommendation

A flight at 1:30 pm leaves enough time to go to PVG from Suzhou. Spending the night in Shanghai probably means more hassle than going straight from Suzhou.
Thanks. That is one less concern.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:30 am

Programs: various
Another idea, if you need a Plan B in case Plan A doesn't work out or proves too expensive....ask your son if he has a friend (foreign or Chinese) who can come with him on the train and help him out. Two guys can manage double the stuff of one. They can take a morning G bullet train and have plenty of time, no need to go to Shanghai night before. Your son can pay for friend's round-trip train ticket Suzhou-Shanghai-Suzhou, plus an in-town taxi from train station to PVG for the two of them. Once friend has helped him check the luggage in, friend can go back to Suzhou or hang out for a few hours in Shanghai. Son should give friend some meal/beer money as a nice gesture.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:16 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
There are several daily bus services from central Suzhou and SIP to SHA and PVG. Luggage is stored in the trunk, no hassle at all. Best to take the bus to PVG the night before and then stay overnight in one of the airport or area hotels.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: VS Gold, IHG RA/Plat, Marriott Plat
If he can't even manage his luggages onto the train, which normally is very genrous on luggage weight and size in China, how can he manage them onto the flight?

Your question is really strange, unless you are paying thousands of RMB for the exceed luggage charge.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 6:55 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Originally Posted by MP (Miles+Points)
If he can't even manage his luggages onto the train, which normally is very genrous on luggage weight and size in China, how can he manage them onto the flight?

Your question is really strange, unless you are paying thousands of RMB for the exceed luggage charge.
Could be more of a size/unwieldy kind of thing rather with weight rather than just weight (I could be wrong). Plus it's not as if Chinese train stations/subway stations are designed to be very pedestrian friendly (lifts/escalators).
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:08 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.

Two large checked bags, one carry-on and a laptop bag is -in my opinion- too much luggage to take on a train when going alone - but still ok for (most) flights. (And that regardless whether navigting through crowded train station madness in China or anywhere else)

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Dec 23, 2010 at 2:20 am
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The issue isn't luggage charges, but the fact that the idea of lugging 3x 70 pound (the *G max) bags through a train station in China sends shivers up the spine.

Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by moondog
The issue isn't luggage charges, but the fact that the idea of lugging 3x 70 pound (the *G max) bags through a train station in China sends shivers up the spine.

Now where is this picture taken? Oh wait, it could be anywhere in China...
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Now where is this picture taken? Oh wait, it could be anywhere in China...
Handily, that was Suzhou Stn., but I didn't give much thought to such specifics when I ran my google search (china train station crowd). My sole objective was to showcase the fact that Chinese train stations can be a bit hectic... doesn't matter where they are.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by moondog
Handily, that was Suzhou Stn., but I didn't give much thought to such specifics when I ran my google search (china train station crowd). My sole objective was to showcase the fact that Chinese train stations can be a bit hectic... doesn't matter where they are.
Train stations, bus stations, subway stations....all like this. These days even airports are getting worse, but still a generation above the others.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Train stations, bus stations, subway stations....all like this. These days even airports are getting worse, but still a generation above the others.
I encountered a scene like that at PEK once (and only once)... missed my flight, in fact.

But, airports have one big advantage for people that travel heavy: free luggage carts on the curb.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 2:48 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I am repeating myself but still cannot see a need for a student to take a cab to PVG. The bus connection is reliable and connects Suzhou directly with the airport.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by mosburger
I am repeating myself but still cannot see a need for a student to take a cab to PVG. The bus connection is reliable and connects Suzhou directly with the airport.
+1

Since the bus option exists, and is relatively painless, it is the way to go. While bus stations in China tend to be unpleasant places, they are always smaller than train stations. The OP's son could pay someone (even his taxi driver) y50 to help with his luggage and still come out way ahead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.