Wiki Posts
Search

Where to exchange Euros into Yuan?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by FTGFOP1
Dear flyertalk-members,

I am pretty new to this forum and already have a question surrounding change of cash in China.

I will need to change 6.000 EUR - or I will need around 48.500 RMB there. What would you suggest as the best (and cheapest) way to get the RMB-cash?

Thank you very much in advance!
Welcome to FT. You've received some good advice. The question is: are you just visiting China, or do you live and work here? If the latter, I would recommend bank transfer -- a bit of a pain, but you don't need to worry about carting a lot of cash around. The exchange rate is good.

If you are just visiting (and one could ask: why would a visitor need so much cash?!), then just bring cash and exchange at a bank. Generally, for this sum, you'll be better off, and less hassle, than repeating using ATMs.

tb
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by trueblu
Welcome to FT. You've received some good advice. The question is: are you just visiting China, or do you live and work here? If the latter, I would recommend bank transfer -- a bit of a pain, but you don't need to worry about carting a lot of cash around. The exchange rate is good.

If you are just visiting (and one could ask: why would a visitor need so much cash?!), then just bring cash and exchange at a bank. Generally, for this sum, you'll be better off, and less hassle, than repeating using ATMs.

tb
My US bank (Schwab) let's me withdraw {$50k less the amount I've already transacted since January 1 of any given year}, which I can immediately deposit into my Chinese bank account at the same ATM. I use my Huaxia account whenever I do this because most of their ATMs in BJ/SH permit Y10,000 per pull. You might be thinking that since many machines are light on money at the end of the weekend, this plan is flawed, but as long as it has 10k or more in it, you'll be able to reuse those bills up to 30x over. For Y100,000 (ten pulls/pushes), the drill requires about 15 minutes, BUT there's no red tape to overcome, and weekends/holidays are a non-issue.

Last edited by moondog; Aug 31, 2014 at 12:10 am
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by moondog
My US bank (Schwab) let's me withdraw {$50k less the amount I've already transacted since January 1 of any given year}, which I can immediately deposit into my Chinese bank account at the same ATM. I use my Huaxia account whenever I do this because most of their ATMs in BJ/SH permit Y10,000 per pull. You might be thinking that since many machines are light on money at the end of the weekend, this plan is flawed, but as long as it has 10k or more in it, you'll be able to reuse those bills up to 30x over. For Y100,000 (ten pulls/pushes), the drill requires about 15 minutes, BUT there's no red tape to overcome, and weekends/holidays are a non-issue.
Very few (?any) European banks have free overseas bank withdrawals to my knowledge. The multiple transactions would result in greater fees than the bank transfer.

However, it's a good tip: I didn't know one could deposit such large amounts at ATMs so easily...and that the cash is recycled!

tb
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:54 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JPDM
Any currency to RMB will have a better rate at the Bank of China (or most Chinese banks). I deal mostly with Chine Merchant Bank and their rates are excellent. Better than my (Canadian) ATM card.
Thanks a lot - in essence it is good to go directly to BoC and make the exchange.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by FTGFOP1
Thanks a lot - in essence it is good to go directly to BoC and make the exchange.
To get an inferior exchange rate and shoulder the risk of carrying cash on hand?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Very few (?any) European banks have free overseas bank withdrawals to my knowledge.
DKB bank in Germany - free ATM withdrawals anywhere, in the US where you have to pay to use the ATM, they will refund you the fee.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
We changed euros to Yuan at one of several bank outlets at the Shanghai airport upon arrival. Very easy transaction and usually English speaking tellers. If you call your home town bank they will gladly steer you to the closest ATM in whatever Chinese city you'll be visiting.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by maltasr
We changed euros to Yuan at one of several bank outlets at the Shanghai airport upon arrival. Very easy transaction and usually English speaking tellers. If you call your home town bank they will gladly steer you to the closest ATM in whatever Chinese city you'll be visiting.
Was this a regular bank, or a 'forex' counter of one of the banks? If the latter, the exchanges are pretty horrible, and especially for the size of the OP's transaction, would result in a considerable hit.

tb
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:02 am

Was this a regular bank, or a 'forex' counter of one of the banks? If the latter, the exchanges are pretty horrible, and especially for the size of the OP's transaction, would result in a considerable hit.

tb
I'm guessing they gave him a decent exchange rate, and charged him Y50.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:08 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
We only changed several hundred dollars and the rate we received was what I considered to be a reasonable exchange rate according to the paperwork and exchange tables I had brought from home.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by maltasr
We changed euros to Yuan at one of several bank outlets at the Shanghai airport upon arrival.
Was this located before or after customs? Also what time of day did you arrive? My flight is scheduled to land around 9:00 PM. I assume that these places stay open as long as there are flights arriving, but want to be sure.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

One other way to do it seems to be buying Baby Formula / Milk Powder in Europe paying in Euro and selling it in China for Yuan. Great exchange rate :-).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.