Reload this Page >

Banking and Good banks in the PRC Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2019, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Deltus
As of May 2019, this thread is closing in on its 9 year anniversary. A lot has changed during the course of the past 9 years. In particular: 1. WeChat Wallet and Alipay have risen to prominence, and 2. banking related security measures have become much more intense. #2 is especially relevant to foreigners in China because many --if not most-- banks are reluctant to open accounts for people on standard tourist or business visas.

The objective of this thread is to help people navigate these waters. Please feel free to add your own data points to the Google Sheet in the following link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lBOLufpsS_YypVd4Yv75aDVNLK2K0t8GHtbV7-O9Hqw/edit?usp=sharing

For an account of using HSBC Premier in China, see post 188.
Print Wikipost

Banking and Good banks in the PRC Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:54 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Thanks for the info, although I'm now more confused.

If the $50k thing has been around for years, and doesn't require paperwork, if I want to change less than $50k (or $10k), does that mean I could have e.g. gotten $2k-$3k changed at a bank or airport counter without a forex transaction slip?

The $500 thing sounds like a hassle, since it would involved (at best) visits to banks for several days in a row, and at worst, running around trying to find banks that play ball.

I didn't realise that wire transfers were so tricky -- is that even for institutions (this is a university that I'm dealing with)?

tb
Old Oct 15, 2010, 2:28 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by trueblu
Thanks for the info, although I'm now more confused.

If the $50k thing has been around for years, and doesn't require paperwork, if I want to change less than $50k (or $10k), does that mean I could have e.g. gotten $2k-$3k changed at a bank or airport counter without a forex transaction slip?

The $500 thing sounds like a hassle, since it would involved (at best) visits to banks for several days in a row, and at worst, running around trying to find banks that play ball.

I didn't realise that wire transfers were so tricky -- is that even for institutions (this is a university that I'm dealing with)?

tb
I'm not sure what you are asking. What is probably confusing is that this thread contains simultaneous references to four different situations:
1) Changing USD (or other forex) INTO RMB. This is what the $50K/$10K limitation is referring to.
2) Changing RMB into USD (or other forex).
3) Changing RMB BACK into USD (or other forex), where there is documentation that it originally came in as forex.
4) Changing USD physical currency into electronic format so it can be sent out of the country.

When we are saying "no paperwork" we are referring to not having to show things like official permission letters, tax receipts, etc.--in other words, only a passport needs to be presented.

What exactly are you trying to do? For any teller window transaction that converts Forex into RMB, whether at the airport or elsewhere, there will be a physical piece of paper documenting the transaction, of which you receive a chopped copy. Always. This is Situation #1. That piece of paper is good for converting the resulting amount of RMB (or less) back into Forex, normally within 6 months assuming you are a non-account holding visitor. That is Situation #3.

Situations #2 and #4 is where things get stickiest, and require creativity and/or a useful network.

Last edited by jiejie; Oct 15, 2010 at 2:34 am
Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by jiejie
You can try, but don't be surprised if you get a No without a conversion strip. Bring your passport along. If what Tauphi is saying is true, try a couple of other banks also to see if you get some joy. Unlike Tauphi, I've never seen this work in real life, at least not in Beijing, without the conversion slip. Even for under $500. My last data points on this are at least 2-3 years' old, though.

The USD $50,000-to RMB conversion limit has been around for at least 4-5 years and is not tied to the Expo. The rule for individuals is $10,000 maximum can be converted in any given month, $50,000 limit per year. Without paperwork, just your passport. USD $50,000 can be done all or part in other foreign currencies, in equivalent value. Over that limit requires quite a bit more paperwork.
To avoid banks that don't know what they're doing, I suggest that you do this at the Bank of China. The only problems I've had there over the last three years have been with trainee tellers, but as long as you stick to your guns, their supervisors will set them straight.

As for the $500 per day amount, you can refer to the SAFE website:

http://fj.safe.gov.cn/110000/110000e0263021.html

So the next time some bank turns you down for doing an exchange from RMB worth US$500 or less, point them to the SAFE website.

While I was browsing the SAFE website, I noticed that they've extended the $50000 exchange period through to the end of December due to the Asian games. So if you have a large wad of RMB that you're trying to get rid of, now is the time to head to your nearest BoC branch.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:50 am

No the $50k thing is only temporary. It's been in place since April due to the World Expo. However, I just found out that it's been extended til the end of December thanks to the Asian Games.

So if you head to any BoC branch, you should be able to buy up to US$50000 worth of foreign currency with RMB.

If you wait until 2011 then you will probably have to do the $500 thing or use the black market, unless you have a work permit.

And no wire transfers aren't tricky at all. What is tricky is buying/selling foreign currency using RMB. This is because the RMB is not freely convertible, in case you haven't noticed
Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Can I just bring a wad of RMB to my local ICBC and ask for USD?
I haven't been to an ICBC branch in three years so my memory is rusty

IIRC, as long as you stick to your guns and get them to ask a supervisor they will follow the rules as set out by SAFE. However, I've found BoC to be much more reliable when it comes to foreign exchange than the ICBC, plus the BoC's fees for transactions such as wires are often lower than the ICBC.

But it doesn't hurt to try if the ICBC branch is more convenient for you. After all, the regulation is on your side
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:09 pm

I'm not sure what you are asking. What is probably confusing is that this thread contains simultaneous references to four different situations:
1) Changing USD (or other forex) INTO RMB. This is what the $50K/$10K limitation is referring to.
2) Changing RMB into USD (or other forex).
3) Changing RMB BACK into USD (or other forex), where there is documentation that it originally came in as forex.
4) Changing USD physical currency into electronic format so it can be sent out of the country.

When we are saying "no paperwork" we are referring to not having to show things like official permission letters, tax receipts, etc.--in other words, only a passport needs to be presented.

What exactly are you trying to do? For any teller window transaction that converts Forex into RMB, whether at the airport or elsewhere, there will be a physical piece of paper documenting the transaction, of which you receive a chopped copy. Always. This is Situation #1. That piece of paper is good for converting the resulting amount of RMB (or less) back into Forex, normally within 6 months assuming you are a non-account holding visitor. That is Situation #3.

Situations #2 and #4 is where things get stickiest, and require creativity and/or a useful network.
OK, this is helpful...I thought that the $50k thing was for converting RMB into forex (which is what other posts imply...see a couple further down from yours). Anyway, I'm out of China now, so can't physically convert cash. I'll just have to chase a bank transfer from the university to my account.

thanks,

tb
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tauphi
2. No idea about BoA, but if you have a US HSBC Premier debit card, you can withdraw RMB from any ATM in China for no fee (apart from whatever Mastercard builds into its exchange rate spread).
BofA works really well... no fees at all and the exchange rate is pretty close to WSJ.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
BofA works really well... no fees at all and the exchange rate is pretty close to WSJ.
That's interesting, since their own blurb suggests that they will essentially incorporate a 3% spread (although no fee). Is 'pretty close' less than 3% differential?

tb
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That's interesting, since their own blurb suggests that they will essentially incorporate a 3% spread (although no fee). Is 'pretty close' less than 3% differential?

tb
CCB BEIJING ATM WITHDRWL 10-06
-$29.92

(200)

CCB BEIJING ATM WITHDRWL 10-05
-$74.80

(500)

CCB BEIJING ATM WITHDRWL 10-04
-$44.88

(300)

CCB BEIJING ATM WITHDRWL 10-02
-$44.88

(300)

Using one of the 44.88 transactions, the exchange rate was 6.68. xe.com is showing 6.64 today (yikes!) so I think BofA is pretty good.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:12 pm

tb
It should be easy to find out. Just do a balance query and do the maths.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:34 pm

No the $50k thing is only temporary. It's been in place since April due to the World Expo. However, I just found out that it's been extended til the end of December thanks to the Asian Games.
I don't know about the expiration/extention date. But I can absolutely, positively, 1000% without equivocation state that in Beijing at least, as far back in late 2005, the exchange limit policy of $50K USD per year for individuals, $10K per month was in place and enforced. And hasn't changed yet. YMMV where you are. I'm not betting on seeing any cancellation of this policy as of the end of December, either. Mostly because I can't see, from the Chinese govt point of view, why it would be beneficial to either lower or raise this limit at this time.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:54 pm

I don't know about the expiration/extention date. But I can absolutely, positively, 1000% without equivocation state that in Beijing at least, as far back in late 2005, the exchange limit policy of $50K USD per year for individuals, $10K per month was in place and enforced. And hasn't changed yet. YMMV where you are. I'm not betting on seeing any cancellation of this policy as of the end of December, either. Mostly because I can't see, from the Chinese govt point of view, why it would be beneficial to either lower or raise this limit at this time.
I'm talking about selling RMB and buying foreign notes.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:15 am

I'm talking about selling RMB and buying foreign notes.
Up here, either account-less or on individual accounts, we can't sell this much RMB (US 50K worth) and buy foreign notes without involved documentation. So whatever great deal you are talking about must be specific and localized--which means for other readers who may be lurking--not to be assumed to be expandable to anywhere in China, even during the immediate future.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 6:54 am

Up here, either account-less or on individual accounts, we can't sell this much RMB (US 50K worth) and buy foreign notes without involved documentation. So whatever great deal you are talking about must be specific and localized--which means for other readers who may be lurking--not to be assumed to be expandable to anywhere in China, even during the immediate future.
http://www.safe.gov.cn/model_safe/la...000000,23&id=4

Print it out and take it with you if your bank teller has just come back from Mars.

However, even the teller at my local HSBC branch knew about this so I wonder which bank you've been going to that hasn't received this memo from SAFE?
Old Oct 16, 2010, 9:27 am

It should be easy to find out. Just do a balance query and do the maths.
True, but I opted to use my (UK) nationwide debit card, since I know from experience that that had a spread of 1.5% compared with official spot rates. However, that will change in the near future, so it's good to know that the BoA gives a pretty good rate -- even better it seems.

tb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.