Reload this Page >

SIM for Cell Phone in China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIM for Cell Phone in China

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by Rocket2511
Hey guys,

IŽll start on a one week business trip to Shanghai tomorrow. Any suggestions on what prepaid SIM is the best for international calls (esp. Germany)?
To my knowledge, there is none for calls to Germany (I'm German). To the US/Canada and some other countries, China Mobile has a prepaid offer with cheap rates. However, there is no card especially for calls to the EU.

You're best bet is to get Skype and a Skype-out credit. Calls are below 0.02 €/min, in pretty good quality.

If you do find a card or purchase a Chinese SIM, take your passport and register on the spot - then you can at least receive calls from abroad.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:47 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
I'm arriving into Shanghai this sunday and will be in China for about 45 days, touring all over the country. I have a BB Curve 9300 (unlocked) from Telus. I would like something that gives me cheap calling back to Canada, data and allows me to make calls anywhere in China too at reasonable rates.

I've read through this thread and am still confused as to what I should be going with. Perhaps it's just jet lag though.

Please let me know the best route to proceed.

I will be going to SE Asia for another 45 days or so after China, however I presume that I'm better off buying something else there?

thanks

Chris
Old Sep 16, 2011, 5:20 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
(In Shanghai) I've got a spare Unicom SIM I don't need anymore that mostly fits the bill. I just to have to see if I can get int'l calling activated on it.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jamar
(In Shanghai) I've got a spare Unicom SIM I don't need anymore that mostly fits the bill. I just to have to see if I can get int'l calling activated on it.
Likewise, I have a growing collection of BJ, SH, and GZ sims that I'm typically happy to lend out to FTers. The thing is, sims are so cheap that it's rarely worth the effort to distribute them. But, for people that really want to know their phone numbers prior to arrival in country, I am usually able to work out reasonably efficient hand-off logistics.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by shore9
I will be going to SE Asia for another 45 days or so after China, however I presume that I'm better off buying something else there?
For Vietnam and Thailand I have different SIMs that were very cheap and very effective. You can get them everywhere including the airport. I know I splurged for the best ones both times because I wanted to get to my email and found it was worth the money. Service in VN is spotty though sometimes - maybe it's better now..
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by shore9
I'm arriving into Shanghai this sunday and will be in China for about 45 days, touring all over the country. I have a BB Curve 9300 (unlocked) from Telus. I would like something that gives me cheap calling back to Canada, data and allows me to make calls anywhere in China too at reasonable rates.

I've read through this thread and am still confused as to what I should be going with. Perhaps it's just jet lag though.

Please let me know the best route to proceed.

thanks

Chris
Hey, I am curious. Does / did your Telus blackberry work in China? Telus is CDMA not GSM. Canada only has Roger's as a GSM network. A lot of the Telus phones don't even have a SIM slot to interchange. Since we live in YVR as well, I have only stuck with Roger's because of this reason. If your phone works then the other options back home would be great....
Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Hey, I am curious. Does / did your Telus blackberry work in China? Telus is CDMA not GSM. Canada only has Roger's as a GSM network. A lot of the Telus phones don't even have a SIM slot to interchange. Since we live in YVR as well, I have only stuck with Roger's because of this reason. If your phone works then the other options back home would be great....
He should be able to access China Telecom which is on CDMA, no? But then again, without a SIM not sure how this all works...
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:51 pm

Telus switched to GSM a couple of years back.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by chriskayTO
Telus switched to GSM a couple of years back.
No they did not. They deployed a 3G HSDPA network, which uses SIM cards identical to GSM handsets. They use 3G 1900Mhz, which very few 3G phones (except iPhone 3/3GS/4 and some smartphones) from outside North America would work on their network.

If you use a GSM only handset, it will never work on Telus.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by Taiwaned

Certain blackberries are GSM/CDMA dual mode. 3G/HSDPA phones from Telus will also work in China if they support 3G 2100Mhz or quad- or tri- band GSM.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by beep88
No they did not. They deployed a 3G HSDPA network, which uses SIM cards identical to GSM handsets. They use 3G 1900Mhz, which very few 3G phones (except iPhone 3/3GS/4 and some smartphones) from outside North America would work on their network.

If you use a GSM only handset, it will never work on Telus.
You are correct - I was confusing the presence of a SIM card for GSM.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
To my knowledge, there is none for calls to Germany (I'm German). To the US/Canada and some other countries, China Mobile has a prepaid offer with cheap rates. However, there is no card especially for calls to the EU.

You're best bet is to get Skype and a Skype-out credit. Calls are below 0.02 €/min, in pretty good quality.

If you do find a card or purchase a Chinese SIM, take your passport and register on the spot - then you can at least receive calls from abroad.
Is Skype currently working in Shanghai? I will arrive with two options: (a) using my existing Android device, connected to Wifi to use Skype or (b) getting a SIM to put in my unlocked GSM phone. I was under the impression that Skype was somehow blocked or hard to use in China.

I do not plan on carrying a full-blown computer with me so downloading the Tom app won't work.

Main purpose will be calling the USA. Duration: 10 days.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 8:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Skype for Android works fine. I've got a smartphone locked to docomo Japan that I just use as a Skype handset and it's pretty reliable (I plan on getting it unlocked in the future).

The network signal has to be *perfect*, though. Anything less than three bars of WiFi (or tethering on Unicom 3G at a busy time) results in very bad voice quality.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 12:14 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by pinniped
Is Skype currently working in Shanghai? I will arrive with two options: (a) using my existing Android device, connected to Wifi to use Skype or (b) getting a SIM to put in my unlocked GSM phone. I was under the impression that Skype was somehow blocked or hard to use in China.

I do not plan on carrying a full-blown computer with me so downloading the Tom app won't work.

Main purpose will be calling the USA. Duration: 10 days.
I use Android skype on my 3G Phone with a Data Plan (Unicom) to make full skype-to-skype, skype-in and skype-out calls. The quality is excellent, sometimes better than using hotel internet or DSL at home.
Therefore, using Skype on your cell phone and WIFI should work just as fine.

BUT, do download Skype on your GSM phone before you go to China. Skype is not available for Android in English in China. (Although there's a simple workaround)
Old Oct 13, 2011, 5:06 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
MiFi deal too good to be true?

China Portable Wi-Fi offers a $70 package good for 30 days and 10 gigs of data. Sounds too good to be true. Even comes with a spare battery. Has anyone tried it? It would allow me to leave my jailbroken 3G (which can be used for wifi tethering) at home. Thanks-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.