Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIM for Cell Phone in China

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by matio_svk
actually, that is exactly what i meant because getting a sim card at 5AM at PEK wont be that easy, let alone a HK one, so I was hoping to land with a SIM in hand.
I found at least 2 stores who have sell the China mobile (HK) data only sim card, Unicom HK I did not find, plus delivery wont be that easy for me since I will be there for 2 nights at a hotel:
http://www.trusling.com/prepaid-sim-...-hongkong.html
https://www.ksonline.sg/products.php...d=272&cat_id=4

1,5 GB for 26SGD (17 euros) sound fair to me
Just make sure you have a device that supports China Mobile LTE. Not all phones do.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA Exec Plat Pro, Accor Silver, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, PP
Thats what I am most afraid of.... Hopefully some Singapore stores will also have a Unicom SIMs
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jamar
Just make sure you have a device that supports China Mobile LTE. Not all phones do.
LTE isn't a problem with most newish phones, but you might drop down to Edge if you leave an LTE coverage area. I use Unicom myself, but I readily admit that Mobile is superior.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:28 am

The vendors outside Sheung Shui station still have placards offering one-card two-number SIMs. Don't know about pricing.

As to regular Mainland SIMs, the Chinese government is carrying though with its threat to cut-off unregistered cards. For China Mobile in Beijing, the cutoff was this week.

Last edited by 889; Oct 19, 2016 at 10:34 am
Old Oct 19, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 889
The vendors outside Sheung Shui station still have placards offering one-card two-number SIMs. Don't know about pricing.

As to regular Mainland SIMs, the Chinese government is carrying though with its threat to cut-off unregistered cards. For China Mobile in Beijing, the cutoff was this week.
They've been doing that for years. My Unicom SIM obtained at the airport in January 2014 was cut off around March 2014.

Is it still possible to buy unregistered SIM cards at PEK, PVG, etc.? They always had people at a small kiosk near the PEK T3 exit who would sell you SIM cards (probably at tourist prices but you could get them for cash with no questions asked).
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA Exec Plat Pro, Accor Silver, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, PP
The general idea i understand is to prefer HK SIMs opposed to Mainland ones, because there no firewall censorship on the HK SIMs, is that still correct?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by matio_svk
The general idea i understand is to prefer HK SIMs opposed to Mainland ones, because there no firewall censorship on the HK SIMs, is that still correct?
That is correct, and you can still get dual number HK SIMs from 3rd party sellers.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:28 pm

There does exist a 4G version of the cross border SIM cards. Ordered this a few weeks ago and got it this week: https://www.amazon.com/China-Unicom-...dp/B01LXBV2WE/

Unlike the other cross border SIM cards though, this one apparently only has a HK number. Instead of free incoming calls, incoming calls cost HK$0.45/min; the tradeoff is that unlike the Cross Border King Dual Extra, which has a HK$18/month fee, this one only has fees of HK$6/month.

It's good as long as activated before the end of next year and I'm almost certain to go back to China before then.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 12:34 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Hmm. This is the only thread that is on point for my China prepaid SIM card question...

The last time I was on the Mainland was in 2017 BC (before covid), Back then I could go to a local shop and purchase a prepaid SIM. All I needed to do was bring my passport so they could take down the particulars.

Now it's 2023 and was wondering how much more is involved in purchasing a prepaid SIM, if you're still even allowed to? This will be for several months and will be in Guangzhou. Thoughts?

TIA
Old Jun 15, 2023, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by abraxis
Hmm. This is the only thread that is on point for my China prepaid SIM card question...

The last time I was on the Mainland was in 2017 BC (before covid), Back then I could go to a local shop and purchase a prepaid SIM. All I needed to do was bring my passport so they could take down the particulars.

Now it's 2023 and was wondering how much more is involved in purchasing a prepaid SIM, if you're still even allowed to? This will be for several months and will be in Guangzhou. Thoughts?

TIA
-We have been discussing this topic in the Alipay thread
-The real ID requirement sort of spoiled the pre-paid SIM business
-I think you will need to go to a Moblie/Telecom/Unicom store
-The good news is that cell phone rates are very cheap now, and you can easily add minutes or data via Ali/Wx
-I haven't used a true post-paid account during the past 5 years; now we can downgrade or suspend at any time
Old Jun 15, 2023, 8:21 am

Prepaid cards are still easily bought but can be activated only after you've completed real-name registration with your passport, normally at a customer service centre, not one of those small shops.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 9:47 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 889
Prepaid cards are still easily bought but can be activated only after you've completed real-name registration with your passport, normally at a customer service centre, not one of those small shops.
One of my friends told me that the last time he went back, he had to go to a company customer service center, and he was asked to record a statement saying that he wouldn't use his phone for things that the government didn't want you to do in addition to the passport thing. I thought that was kind of weird.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by 889
Since it's necessary to visit a service center in order to use your SIM, why not buy the SIM from the service center as well?
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by abraxis
One of my friends told me that the last time he went back, he had to go to a company customer service center, and he was asked to record a statement saying that he wouldn't use his phone for things that the government didn't want you to do in addition to the passport thing. I thought that was kind of weird.
Yes I had to do that https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35217727-post24.html

Your phone number is strongly linked to your identity in China. In other places they take down the passport data but the link is not so strong.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 12:30 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by moondog
Since it's necessary to visit a service center in order to use your SIM, why not buy the SIM from the service center as well?
I'm not entirely sure if this is still the case, but back before 2020 there were certain starter packs with special offers or plans that could only be purchased from smaller stores and not directly from carrier service shops. That being said, I haven't gone looking since then (back then I'd keep an eye on these things even though I'd kept the same China Mobile number since 2006 because I'd volunteer to help exchange students with phone service every year).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.