SIM for Cell Phone in China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIM for Cell Phone in China

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
People honestly do still make voice calls in China, Vince.

Common uses for travelers:
-restaurants/bars
-hotels (especially if you are staying in one with a good concierge)
-Uber/didi (technically feasible without voice, finding the car can be tricky unless you talk with the driver)
That wasn't what I meant. What I meant moondog was I don't have anyone to call so even if it was unlimited calls, I wouldn't be able to dial anyone as I need a target to call first and I don't have anyone in my phone book or anywhere else located in HK or China. Uber wouldn't work for me since my account is registered to my Verizon Wireless number so it would not even be accessible when I'm in China, same thing with Didi which in my case is connected to WeChat. I suppose I can just call the airport or CX and then hang up and see if it activates as soon as the plane touches the ground from the air and see if it activates or not. I'm trying to save some balance to make voice calls later on in the trip as for two of the tours, we are walking in so need to call the tour company 5 days before each one to confirm the exact hotel. I think the other method is I can always use WiFi and then connect to data using their APN while the WIFI is connected, wonder if that will activate the card or not.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
Yes, I'm sure it's somehow related to the APN used. Remember that no card changes its APN just because the user is roaming. When I am in China and I use my AT&T SIM, and I go to a site like whatismyip.com, it'll usually show an area like Washington or California, and the internet works as it should. With the HK cross border SIM cards, the APN "3gnet" is used, which is a HK APN, and the internet should also work like it should.

Only problem with doing this (unless you're using the dual number cross border SIM card) is that you're paying standard international roaming rates, which in the case of AT&T, is $120 for 800 MB. I did this last time though because running a VPN on my phone 24/7 was killing the battery.

You can probably just call a business phone number. Preferably one that has a prerecorded message when it answers. Or if you're like me, you do actually have friends in China that you can call. I'd set the data kill switch on my phone initially, so it doesn't consume any data at $0.80/MB, before I can get the number via SMS, top up the card, and sign up for the $118/1GB plan, if I were using the CUHK card.

It is useful to have a Chinese voice number. Last time I was at a Starbucks in China, they required a Chinese voice number that they could send an SMS to before I could get on the WiFi. Not sure why they have the system set up that way (here in the US all Starbucks just run open wifi) but it does require it.
Interesting about the IP since I didn't think they would be able to route IP's like that as I always thought it had to be served by the carrier you are getting the wireless signal from as BGP4 is usually done by larger blocks and not individual IP addresses when it comes to routing. 3gnet is actually the APN used by China Unicom in China and is actually roaming when it's used in Hong Kong from the information I can find as the other APN is 3gwap. There is also uninet if one is using 2G.

https://apnsettings.gishan.net/apn/6...a/china-unicom

You're right that I can just call a business phone number or any phone number since I think as long as the phone rings, the card would have been activated already or otherwise it won't even allow the phone number to ring.

Is the Data Kill switch basically the Connect to Mobile data setting on the iPhone? If so, couldn't I just be connected by WiFi and activate the card by using the Connect to Mobile Data and it will activate without using the $0.80/MB or will the phones only connect to the mobile data network when there is no WiFi connection?

I think for the china voice number and wifi, maybe they just want to know who is using their WiFi and this is a good way to be able to track you down if needed.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by jamar
Try dialing *118*35# before trying to make a voice call and see if that works. Otherwise I use 400-888-0808 (JAL Customer Service) as an initial voice call.
I actually was thinking about that one before I even received the card but this is what their website says: "The SIM card will be activated when you make the first call with it (exclude account inquiry and recharge hotline)." Isn't the *118*35# the account inquiry hotline? I'll just find some phone numbers like CX or other businesses in HK to call.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by vincepoy
Interesting about the IP since I didn't think they would be able to route IP's like that as I always thought it had to be served by the carrier you are getting the wireless signal from as BGP4 is usually done by larger blocks and not individual IP addresses when it comes to routing. 3gnet is actually the APN used by China Unicom in China and is actually roaming when it's used in Hong Kong from the information I can find as the other APN is 3gwap. There is also uninet if one is using 2G.

https://apnsettings.gishan.net/apn/6...a/china-unicom
Actually, 3gnet is used for CUHK cards in HK too:
https://www.geodetic.gov.hk/smo/gsi/.../ntrip/apn.htm

Unlike on the voice side (where a phone takes on the characteristics of all other phones on the visited network), on the data side, all data gets tunneled through the home network. That's just the way the protocol for GSM/EDGE/UMTS/LTE was designed. I'm not sure of the historical reasons behind this; it could be that the home network might need to generate warning SMS messages as data gets used up and in order to do such a thing in real time, the home network must actually be processing the data in real time. In any case, we can use this to our advantage to get around annoying firewalls.

You're right that I can just call a business phone number or any phone number since I think as long as the phone rings, the card would have been activated already or otherwise it won't even allow the phone number to ring.

Is the Data Kill switch basically the Connect to Mobile data setting on the iPhone? If so, couldn't I just be connected by WiFi and activate the card by using the Connect to Mobile Data and it will activate without using the $0.80/MB or will the phones only connect to the mobile data network when there is no WiFi connection?
Sure, connecting when you're on WiFi works too. Data kill is basically anything that prevents the phone from using data over cellular. Android has a function under Settings->Data Usage->Restrict Background Data that prevents apps from using data unless connected to WiFi.

I think for the china voice number and wifi, maybe they just want to know who is using their WiFi and this is a good way to be able to track you down if needed.
You know, I wonder if the CUHK cross border SIM would work on those types of hotspots, or if they flag those numbers as unregistered and don't allow access. Also, I am not sure whether the cross border SIM allows access to the China Unicom hotspot network in Mainland China either.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Uber wouldn't work for me since my account is registered to my Verizon Wireless number so it would not even be accessible when I'm in China
That doesn't matter. I use Uber just fine when I'm in China even though it's registered to my American phone number. I just make sure to call the driver from within the app right after I get matched to them.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That doesn't matter. I use Uber just fine when I'm in China even though it's registered to my American phone number. I just make sure to call the driver from within the app right after I get matched to them.
In Shanghai, Uber has started using a new phone routing system, which relies on the number tied to your account in order to connect you with your driver.

I have not seen this in other Chinese cities yet, but if successful, I would expect a comprehensive rollout.

In any event, signing up for a new Uber account (with your local number) is easy.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
Actually, 3gnet is used for CUHK cards in HK too:
https://www.geodetic.gov.hk/smo/gsi/.../ntrip/apn.htm

Unlike on the voice side (where a phone takes on the characteristics of all other phones on the visited network), on the data side, all data gets tunneled through the home network. That's just the way the protocol for GSM/EDGE/UMTS/LTE was designed. I'm not sure of the historical reasons behind this; it could be that the home network might need to generate warning SMS messages as data gets used up and in order to do such a thing in real time, the home network must actually be processing the data in real time. In any case, we can use this to our advantage to get around annoying firewalls.

Sure, connecting when you're on WiFi works too. Data kill is basically anything that prevents the phone from using data over cellular. Android has a function under Settings->Data Usage->Restrict Background Data that prevents apps from using data unless connected to WiFi.

You know, I wonder if the CUHK cross border SIM would work on those types of hotspots, or if they flag those numbers as unregistered and don't allow access. Also, I am not sure whether the cross border SIM allows access to the China Unicom hotspot network in Mainland China either.
3gnet is used in HK but CUHK is a MVNO in HK so they do not have a actual network in HK so basically it seems they are using the only APN they have. I just hope the latency isn't too bad as in high ping times because of all that routing especially with American carriers.

My Android LG G4 phone will actually be tethering off the iPhone 6S Plus A1634 which will be the one that has the CUHK sim in it as it supports all frequencies. Haven't used my iPhone yet so not too familiar how it works other than there is a Connect to Cellular Data that can be turned on and off
which I think turns on/off access of data in general which would only be used when WiFi isn't connected. There is a background apps access thing which when you have it on off, it will use WiFi only.

What I meant to ask was really, if I was connected to WiFi, will the cellular data network even be used to get the card activated because everything seems like it will route via WiFi instead since I think what they want is something to send the data through the cellular connection.

I don't think the CUHK cards allow access to any hotspots as I thought that was something that the other carriers with SIM cards advertises. Not sure if CMHK has that feature either.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:49 pm

That would be different since I thought they had to call you at the number registered to your account.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:12 pm

That would be different since I thought they had to call you at the number registered to your account.
As noted in my last post, in Chinese cities other than Shanghai, when you call the driver, you connect directly with his phone. Then, he can call you back on your phone if necessary.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by moondog
As noted in my last post, in Chinese cities other than Shanghai, when you call the driver, you connect directly with his phone. Then, he can call you back on your phone if necessary.
I've only used Uber here in the US a few times but that was 3-4 years ago and from what I remember, there is a generic phone number you call and it's based on ANI (Automatic Number Identification) since you have to call that number from the same phone number the account is registered under and it will route your call to the driver. If you try to call from any other phone number, it says something to the effect of sorry, but we are unable to locate you so its similar to how it works in Shanghai. Never saw it another way as this was also how it worked for Lyft and Sidecar too.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:28 am

I've only used Uber here in the US a few times but that was 3-4 years ago and from what I remember, there is a generic phone number you call and it's based on ANI (Automatic Number Identification) since you have to call that number from the same phone number the account is registered under and it will route your call to the driver. If you try to call from any other phone number, it says something to the effect of sorry, but we are unable to locate you so its similar to how it works in Shanghai. Never saw it another way as this was also how it worked for Lyft and Sidecar too.
I didn't know the term for it, but that's exactly what they're doing in Shanghai now. Nobody seems to like it, but I can understand the business and personal safety logic behind it.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:14 am

I never knew it worked any other way since it seems like this way, none of the drivers personal numbers are given out. Ofcourse I do wonder if the drivers in Shanghai is able to see the phone numbers of the clients or is it hidden both ways and only Uber Corporate could see it.
Old May 3, 2016, 2:11 pm

I'm going to be in HK, Shanghai and Beijing later this month. Trying to figure out the best way to stay connected back to the US.

Was planning to skip the VPN and get a cross border sim card while in HK. I'm using an android device, Samsung S6 on Sprint in the US.

What is the best way to do text and voice over the data connection? I use google voice in the states, do I need to switch to hangouts or get skype?
Old May 4, 2016, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by turin39789
What is the best way to do text and voice over the data connection? I use google voice in the states, do I need to switch to hangouts or get skype?
Scroll up. Lots of info in this thread.

Yes, you will need to use the Google Hangouts app to place and receive calls over VoIP. Assuming you go with a cross-border SIM, Skype and other VoIP solutions work as well (they aren't blocked in HK, and all data traffic is routed through HK).
Old May 4, 2016, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
Scroll up. Lots of info in this thread.

Yes, you will need to use the Google Hangouts app to place and receive calls over VoIP. Assuming you go with a cross-border SIM, Skype and other VoIP solutions work as well (they aren't blocked in HK, and all data traffic is routed through HK).
Thanks, I have skimmed the thread a few times but will take a deeper dive. Trying to achieve a narrow goal, for as cheap as possible. Cross border avoids the need for a vpn, so I'm thinking it will balance out as a simpler solution.

Specifically my only goals for coverage will be to able to reach the US while I am there. It would be nice to be outside the firewall so I can use my gmail accounts, but I could live without that if needed. A call home every day or two to talk to the kids and reachable for emergencies are my requirements. Just want to have the apps lined up ahead of time, and be sure what phone number the states can call me on.

I am meeting some friends in Beijing and it would be nice to be able to communicate with each other if we separate, but very minimal. I don't speak any Chinese, so local calls are of minimal use. Staying in nice hotels, so I will have wifi at the hotel for researching restaurants etc as needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.