Search

5 hours in Shanghai (PVG) airport to kill

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH-SEN
5 hours in Shanghai (PVG) airport to kill

Hi,
I will be flying TXL-FRA-PVG (LH/C), have 5 hours layover before continuing to NAN via AKL (NZ/C).

Any recommendations what we could do in this time?

Does PVG have good lounges (LH*G) - shower, room for a nap? Or better leave the airport, ride the maglev and return on time for the onward flight?

Thanks for some advice. I am not sure if I should go through the hazzle of getting a visa for China for those few hrs.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:41 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

At meal times, apparently the *G lounge serves meals, although I've never been lucky enough to be there to see that happen.

You could exit and do a roundtrip on the maglev, most people who ride it seem to be joyriders. Even enough time maybe to then ride the #2 line to Pudong and walk around.

There is a special Shanghai visa exemption for citizens of many countries. They don't need a visa in advance if they are entering and exiting through a Shanghai airport and their stay doesn't exceed 48 hours. Since we don't know your nationality, obviously we don't know if that applies to you.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:25 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Should be a pay by the hour hotel inside T2 also Shanghai Airport VIP room (private lounge business center). That's in addition to the two hotels between T-1 and T-2.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 1:36 pm

The Shanghai Airlines *G lounge at PVG isn't the best. No napping rooms, and its bright.

If you do not need a visa I would go into Shanghai for a quick meal, even with the maglev being so fast, you still need to take the metro, so you won't have that much time to explore.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:03 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
My patent recipe is still the gym & spa at Shangri-La Pudong. Maglev and a few stops to Lujiazui on line 2. An hour in the sauna and pool, quick snack at the hotel and back to the airport refreshed.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 4:26 pm

Depending on the time of day , I think you have enough time to head into town. On the maglev -

The Shanghai Airlines lounge, has napping booths at the back - not private but it is sufficient.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mosburger
My patent recipe is still the gym & spa at Shangri-La Pudong. Maglev and a few stops to Lujiazui on line 2. An hour in the sauna and pool, quick snack at the hotel and back to the airport refreshed.
As you probably know, I'm 100% behind your spa plan, but I've been longing for someone execute it at the Ramada and report back.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:40 pm

The Helen Huang (aka Ms. Boo Shoo and her girls) spa at the Ramada Pu Dong is a brothel. Be forwarned. Check out trip advisor.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by meFIRST
The Helen Huang (aka Ms. Boo Shoo and her girls) spa at the Ramada Pu Dong is a brothel. Be forwarned. Check out trip advisor.
Thanks for the heads up. Personally, I wouldn't let the brothel component stand between me and a foot massage, but part of my fearless attitude has to do with the fact that my Chinese is good enough to pin down the price up front.

I googled <pudong airport foot massage> and these two sites were near the top of the list:

http://nomesboxall.blogspot.com/2008...ngso-long.html
This one talks about the services offered at the airport itself. While there wasn't any specific mention of price, I'm guessing that y200 would fetch a decent foot massage, plus another y100 for the fish treatment. The fish thing is cool if you've never tried it, but I prefer the full body style.

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/hote...o-shanghai.htm
This place is surely really cheap, and not even remotely comparable to the Shangri-La. But, I'm sure many of us would appreciate a trip report. If the OP decides to go this route, it would be my pleasure to call them and nail down the airport transfer details.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:17 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Originally Posted by moondog
Thanks for the heads up. Personally, I wouldn't let the brothel component stand between me and a foot massage, but part of my fearless attitude has to do with the fact that my Chinese is good enough to pin down the price up front.

I googled <pudong airport foot massage> and these two sites were near the top of the list:

http://nomesboxall.blogspot.com/2008...ngso-long.html
This one talks about the services offered at the airport itself. While there wasn't any specific mention of price, I'm guessing that y200 would fetch a decent foot massage, plus another y100 for the fish treatment. The fish thing is cool if you've never tried it, but I prefer the full body style.

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/hote...o-shanghai.htm
This place is surely really cheap, and not even remotely comparable to the Shangri-La. But, I'm sure many of us would appreciate a trip report. If the OP decides to go this route, it would be my pleasure to call them and nail down the airport transfer details.
Emphasis on bolded.. I need to try this.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by SirJman
The Shanghai Airlines *G lounge at PVG isn't the best. No napping rooms, and its bright.
Re napping rooms I am sure i saw these when I was there last month... right at the far end of the lounge (just before it ends) in the biz class section. They were little cubicals with a flatish chair/bed.

I was in lounge 79 or something (whatever it was called) on a TG ticket - I'm pretty sure that is the Shanghai Airlines lounge.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:44 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
There's a Blind Massage place close to maglev station.
The blind usually have better skills and price can be cheaper too.

Zhi Hui (Wisdom)

Address: Suit B, 2/F, 640 Zhangyang Rd

Tel: 5835-5009
Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:20 pm

Helen Huang and her girls are quite aggresive, as is the front man. They are located in the basement of the Ramada at Pu Dong Airport. My traveling companion and I (both of us are gay), were approached. It was quite amusing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.