Skiing in China?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skiing in China?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by asianmom
mnredfox,
I can't comment, really, as I do not ski; where I come from, there is no snow and snow activities are not a common sport. However, we went on a chartered flight and there were two families who were experienced skiiers and according to them, this place is a poor cousin of the other French villages. You may want to go onto Tripadvisor to see what others have to say.

It was just the beginning of the snow season when we were there ( end of Dec) and according to the hotel staff, most of the snow in the kid's area were still manmade while the rest was real.

Temp average -20 deg Celsius; extremely windy and on some afternoons (mostly after 2 pm), the gondolas would be closed due to stormy weather. The resort shares the facilities with another local resort called the Snowmountain and even so, there were very few skiiers and even less snowboarders when we were there; it was especially empty in the early mornings and the place rarely fills up before 10am.

Like I've mentioned before, the snow was very very compact. (Sorry, that's the best I could do, you would have gotten more out of me if your question was about the room amenities/ service etc...)

Who else was skiing? hmm, does it really matter who you bump into during a fall? Let me see, mostly local Chinese new to the game on the lower levels, then, as one goes up the mountain, it is mostly Hongkong Chinese and Singaporeans, a few Indians, Indonesians and Malays.
Despite not skiing, appreciate the above info. ^
Old Aug 11, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Anyone ever been to Changbaishan in Jilin? Starwood has opened a Westin and a Sheraton there this year...
Old Aug 12, 2012, 1:00 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jamoldo
Anyone ever been to Changbaishan in Jilin? Starwood has opened a Westin and a Sheraton there this year...
Great question. I just met somewhere from there (Chinese native) and I'll ask if she ever skied there.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 2:32 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
New skiing area to go live in 2012/13 season. So far, one lift and one hike-up/ snow mobile-up piste (military and national team training area open for everyone).

The new skiing area looks pretty good, just baidu it.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 4:29 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Just looked Changbaishan up on wiki, and it states that temps on the mountain get down to -45C in winter! To boot, there appears to be v. little snowfall....perhaps better suited for military training than recreational skiing?

tb
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by trueblu
Just looked Changbaishan up on wiki, and it states that temps on the mountain get down to -45C in winter! To boot, there appears to be v. little snowfall....perhaps better suited for military training than recreational skiing?

tb
Sounds like Canadian Rockies in the dead of winter. Well, maybe not that cold.

I asked my Chinese friend today about skiing at Changbaishan (again she is from Jilin). Typical Chinese response, "skiing, what's that?"
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
you should get a group and take her!

I think its one of the great things about Nanshan and other little hills near Beijing that popped up. The skiing is far from great but at least people are getting good exposure to it. ^^
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Sounds like Canadian Rockies in the dead of winter. Well, maybe not that cold.

I asked my Chinese friend today about skiing at Changbaishan (again she is from Jilin). Typical Chinese response, "skiing, what's that?"
Having skiied (?sp.) in the rockies several times, I think the answer is a resounding no...I've not ever been when it's much below -20C, and at -20C, it's pretty darn unpleasant, especially if there's a lot of wind. At -45C, and without fresh snow, it sounds more like torture than a pleasant diversion.

tb
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: various
Changbaishan area is notoriously difficult to get to and particularly in winter, so unless they've also built better access roads and can maintain them and keep clearing snow and ice, I'd say forget it.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:30 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by jiejie
Changbaishan area is notoriously difficult to get to and particularly in winter, so unless they've also built better access roads and can maintain them and keep clearing snow and ice, I'd say forget it.
The skiing area has its own airport, around 15 km away, NBS.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:38 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
The skiing area has its own airport, around 15 km away, NBS.
I am behind the times. I find that Changbaishan airport NBS has been open for 4 years--I assume it was either newly built then, or one of those airfields converted from military to commercial use. I would also guess that in winter weather, that field gets a bit dicey to get in/out of.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
Originally Posted by Jamoldo
I've been planning on getting up there this winter knowing that these Starwoods were opening up. But man those rates! A little surprised to standard rooms going for over 1400Y.

I'm still going but personally, that's a bit much considering the time I'm going to have to put in watching my SO learn to snowplow, fall over in a heap, and then complain to me about why we had to come to this stupid place.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mackenzie77
I've been planning on getting up there this winter knowing that these Starwoods were opening up. But man those rates! A little surprised to standard rooms going for over 1400Y.

I'm still going but personally, that's a bit much considering the time I'm going to have to put in watching my SO learn to snowplow, fall over in a heap, and then complain to me about why we had to come to this stupid place.
Just abandon her with a ski instructor. (I logged 100+ days per year on the slopes when I was a kid, and have zero tolerance for GFs than can't hang with me.)
Old Aug 15, 2012, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Just abandon her with a ski instructor. (I logged 100+ days per year on the slopes when I was a kid, and have zero tolerance for GFs than can't hang with me.)
Do you still ski, and if so, where do you go in the BJ area (if at all)? I'm still in the learning phase (can do most blues, don't do blacks yet), my wife is better, but rather out of practice.

I'm very keen for my daughter to learn this year. Last year, we were told she has to be three to hit the slopes, which she is now....

tb
Old Aug 15, 2012, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by trueblu
Do you still ski, and if so, where do you go in the BJ area (if at all)? I'm still in the learning phase (can do most blues, don't do blacks yet), my wife is better, but rather out of practice.

I'm very keen for my daughter to learn this year. Last year, we were told she has to be three to hit the slopes, which she is now....

tb
Only in the Rockies/Alps, TB. While people always tell me about the places mentioned in this thread, I simply can't be bothered to trek to them.

Last edited by moondog; Aug 16, 2012 at 3:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.