Search

Garrett's Popcorn Shop

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2005, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
marvnmar27 mentions this as well.

To clarify, it is cheesecorn and caramel corn cooked separately but put together in the same bag or is the cheese and caramel mixed with fresh popcorn in the same batch to produce the end product?
It is made separately and mixed. However, you wouldn't mix in regular popcorn unless you were trying to save on fat and calories. You do that by having Diet Coke!
Old Jan 7, 2006, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
I like Garrett's, but it is definately overpriced.

I usually grab a bag of caramel corn and cashews.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Originally Posted by cawhite
Exactly. I pretty much only hit that location if I'm happening by and there are only 3-4 people in line, and I'm in the mood for warm caramel corn (read: not that often )
Coming into this conversation late, but I couldn't agree more. The Chicago Mix is my fave and I NEVER go to the store on Michigan Ave. There are enough other locations that you sometimes don't even have to wait in line.

GG
Old Jan 7, 2006, 3:53 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I'm also a late arrival to this conversation, but...Garrett's definitely isn't just a place frequented by tourists. I never really knew about it until I worked at State & Huron, which was just a few blocks from their Michigan Ave. store. My department fell in love with it, and we'd regularly place bets where the loser had to buy the entire department a big bag of caramel popcorn. (I've never been a fan of the caramel/cheese mix.)

I can remember one time when I realized that the bag disappeared prematurely (though I didn't realize it until a week or two later), so I said to one of my co-workers, "Who polished off the Garrett's?" and he replied, "No one. I filed it under C in the [xxx] cabinets because I couldn't stop eating it." I opened up the filing cabinet, and, sure enough, there it was in the Cs. That was when I discovered that stale Garrett's caramel corn is also terrific (in a very different way). Mmmm...
Old Jan 8, 2006, 6:58 pm

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
btw - here in atlanta - a PAULS POPCORN has opened saying they have chicago style popcorn

its quite tasty

im going to chicago for the first time and will have to try Garrett's!
Old Jan 8, 2006, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by allen074
btw - here in atlanta - a PAULS POPCORN has opened saying they have chicago style popcorn

its quite tasty

im going to chicago for the first time and will have to try Garrett's!
Here in Indianapolis, we have a place called Just Pop In and they make a "Chicago Mix" that is outstanding. It has a slightly healthier taste than Garrett's but it's really, really good. Once my braces come off, it's the first thing I'll snack on!

: )
GG
Old Jan 8, 2006, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by GeoGirl
Here in Indianapolis, we have a place called Just Pop In and they make a "Chicago Mix" that is outstanding. It has a slightly healthier taste than Garrett's but it's really, really good. Once my braces come off, it's the first thing I'll snack on!

GG
Normally, a "healthy" taste and "really, really good" don't go together.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Normally, a "healthy" taste and "really, really good" don't go together.
Hey! Yeah, I know, which is why I was surprised. If you've ever had Garrett's, you know how greasy it is- the grease kind of oozes out of the cheesy popcorn when you chew it. Which, of course, is kind of a part of the deliciousness of it. But the Just Pop In version has less grease, so hence my "healthy" comment. I doubt it actually IS healthy- I've seen them throw full sticks of butter in the vat. LOL

BTW, ILuvParis, we loved our experience with you so much, we joined AC ourselves!

GG
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by GeoGirl
BTW, ILuvParis, we loved our experience with you so much, we joined AC ourselves!

GG
^ I'm sure AA appreciates it too!
Old Jan 19, 2006, 5:23 pm

I used to study in the Starbucks on Michigan Ave next to Garrett's -- I was always amazed how long people would wait in line in February to buy popcorn...
Old Jan 17, 2008, 4:22 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by allen074
chicago style
Chicago style=imitation. In my experience if it ain't coming out of Chicago directly it's crap!
Old Jan 17, 2008, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by fly4funsea
Chicago style=imitation. In my experience if it ain't coming out of Chicago directly it's crap!
Have you applied for a job with the local Chamber of Commerce? You ought to!
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:36 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
Just don't use your credit card.

http://cbs2chicago.com/consumer/garr....2.629595.html
Old May 22, 2008, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Garrett Popcorn Shop on Mag Mile to close

Garrett Popcorn Shop's flagship on Michigan Avenue is closing to make way for condos.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...0,732818.story
Old May 23, 2008, 6:11 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Garrett Popcorn, which has four other shops in downtown Chicago, is looking for another location on North Michigan Avenue, said Schroeder, who hopes to have a new store open before the holiday season. He said he is trying to get a spot on street level.
Shouldn't be hard as I understand vacancy rates are inching up on Michigan Ave. but then can Garrett's make effective use of a 20,000 sq ft space ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.