Garrett's Popcorn Shop

Garrett's Popcorn Shop

Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:46 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Garrett's Popcorn Shop

so the caption under the Chicago forum reads
OK, you've got the Wisconsin Dells to the NW and the Indiana Dunes to the East and right in the middle - some of the best shopping and dining in the hinterlands. Forget the "Windy City" moniker - head straight for Garrett's Popcorn shop on N. Michiga
I've lived here all my life and I don't believe I've heard of Garrett's.

Can someone fill me in?
--
Old Dec 23, 2005, 11:56 am

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
Extremely popular chain that primarily sells fresh caramel popcorn. Several locations downtown. Demand is so high that, on some days, the line extends out the front door.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Big Mo
Extremely popular chain that primarily sells fresh caramel popcorn. Several locations downtown. Demand is so high that, on some days, the line extends out the front door.
Thanks. Have you been?

Curious if it is uniquely Chicago some how.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
so the caption under the Chicago forum reads
I've lived here all my life and I don't believe I've heard of Garrett's.

Can someone fill me in?
--
I know - I originally heard about it a few years back from some tourist friends. Then again, isn't that how we sometimes wind up learning about our city? (i.e. taking people around)

Their website says:
Since 1949...A Chicago Tradition
Since our very first days in Chicago at 10 West Madison Street, Garrett Popcorn Shops has maintained our dedication to fresh, hot-air popped popcorn.
I don't know if it's any better than any other premium popcorn shop elsewhere, but it's a fun thing to do when you're walking around downtown.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Garretts was also at Washington/Clark for many many years. I am not particularly impressed with their regular popcorn, nor John's, nor Nuts on Clark. But I do like Nuts on Clark's carmel corn in small doses.

Why people take cannisters home to their families and friends, I can never understand.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 4:57 pm

Garrett's is certainly worth a try. I've been into the location at State & Jackson quite a few times. It's popular with both tourists and the office snack/treat crowd. There can be lines (10+ or so) but they ebb and flow. When a line builds up they work hard to knock it down in my experience.

I believe the location on N. Michigan is similar, though maybe a bit more touristy.

I like getting a small bag of the mixed. It's tasty and probably really bad for me.

I find Garrett's to be particularly good when gotten for other people. It seems to make outstanding nice to meet you / peace offering / social lubrication. Junk food without the guilt for the recipient (it's a gift.. they don't have a choice but to eat it).

You can get nice tins of the stuff if you want things a packaged a bit nicer.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
I've been to chicago many times and I never heard of this popcorn place untill oprah gave it away on her show!
-howie
Old Dec 25, 2005, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
I've been to chicago many times and I never heard of this popcorn place untill oprah gave it away on her show!
-howie
Well, to be honest.. I mean.. it is just popcorn. Maybe just me but it's not the first thing that comes to mind with this city and I don't crave it. You probably can't go wrong with any of the other spots mentioned in this thread.

That said, it's a fun treat too. But not serious food.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by ayamaguc
That said, it's a fun treat too. But not serious food.
Right!

For that, you've got to go Vienna all-beef, relish (my Papa called it "pickalilly"), chopped onion, chopped tomato, yellow mustard, a pickle spear, hot pepper, a little celery salt, and a steamed S. Rosen's, poppy-seed bun.

Now I'm homesick.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL-PM, HH-Gold, *wood-Gold, Avis First, National Executive Elite
I've been going to Garrett's for years anytime I'm in downtown Chicago...I think it's great stuff. The mix bag of carmel, cheese and regular is my usual. The store is a little quirky though. They limit the number of people in the store during sometimes of the day and won't let the line go on the street. My last trip I was told the store is full and come back in 45 minutes. Also, no cell phones on while you're in line. I was shocked that they actually enforced this (or at least they did a few months ago). The prices are a bit steep, but it's worth it.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
I've been going there since one of my first visits to Chicago, introduced by one of my local friends; usually the Loop, but sometimes the Michigan Ave location (the MI Ave location lines do get outrageously long during the holiday shopping season and I've never quite felt it was worth THAT wait). I do like their caramel corn better than most that I've had (other than homemade), especially when it's still warm although it's still pretty good after it cools down. Can't say that it's something I'd endure the lines or cost to buy for someone to ship it to them, though.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 1:18 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cawhite
I've been going there since one of my first visits to Chicago, introduced by one of my local friends; usually the Loop, but sometimes the Michigan Ave location (the MI Ave location lines do get outrageously long during the holiday shopping season and I've never quite felt it was worth THAT wait). I do like their caramel corn better than most that I've had (other than homemade), especially when it's still warm although it's still pretty good after it cools down. Can't say that it's something I'd endure the lines or cost to buy for someone to ship it to them, though.
That Michicagn Ave location is almost always busy. It doesn't matter what time of year it is. If people want to buy their popcorn, I'd suggest going to one of the other locations. Why wait 30-40 minutes when you can wait 5 minutes at another location?
Old Dec 28, 2005, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
That Michicagn Ave location is almost always busy. It doesn't matter what time of year it is. If people want to buy their popcorn, I'd suggest going to one of the other locations. Why wait 30-40 minutes when you can wait 5 minutes at another location?
Exactly. I pretty much only hit that location if I'm happening by and there are only 3-4 people in line, and I'm in the mood for warm caramel corn (read: not that often )
Old Dec 29, 2005, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Wow, I'm stunned. Willie. (And ElmhurstNick, what DO you like? ) And folks, it's not the popcorn at Garrett's, it's the Mix (cheesecorn and caramel corn mixed) that is indescribable! That, still warm, and a Diet Coke and one can be happy!
Old Dec 30, 2005, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
And folks, it's not the popcorn at Garrett's, it's the Mix (cheesecorn and caramel corn mixed) that is indescribable!
marvnmar27 mentions this as well.

To clarify, it is cheesecorn and caramel corn cooked separately but put together in the same bag or is the cheese and caramel mixed with fresh popcorn in the same batch to produce the end product?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.