STL - no bbq??

Old May 15, 2008, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
STL - no bbq??

I transit via STL quite a few times. Since St Louis is famous for BBQ are there any recommended spots inside the terminal? Not sure which terminal it is but I fly AA.
Old May 15, 2008, 7:36 am

I always thought STL was famous for toasted ravioli. STL as an airport is very lacking and I often just take a sandwich from Starbucks.

KC is more of a BBQ place.
Old May 15, 2008, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by gj83
I always thought STL was famous for toasted ravioli. STL as an airport is very lacking and I often just take a sandwich from Starbucks.

There is some outstanding bbq in the city of St. Louis. At the airport there is only one place, and I havent been to it in a while (heck, it may have even closed). It is in the same terminal as AA but down at the other end, near the UA check in area. It is at the extreme end of that terminal. Decent bbq, the ribs and beef tips were both pretty good.
Old May 15, 2008, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

STL must be famous for BBQ.. it even has it own page on Wiki ^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis-style_barbecue
Old May 15, 2008, 7:55 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Premier Exec)
BBQ at STL : Nope! Head into the city for BBQ

riteshraja STL is an airport underserved with amenities, but that will hopefully change with their new airport director. Unfortunately, there are no great restaurants (aside from a few chains and bars) in the terminal. If you ever make it to St. Louis for more than a layover, the city has some amazing food options!

gj83 St. Louis is known for a few items including Toasted Ravioli. It's also home to Gooey-Butter Cake and a type of pizza with wafer thin crust. It has a great type of BBQ that is much less vinegar tasting than that of Kansas City and has more variety than the pulled-pork-only I've sampled in North Carolina.
Old May 15, 2008, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Dole
riteshraja STL is an airport underserved with amenities, but that will hopefully change with their new airport director. Unfortunately, there are no great restaurants (aside from a few chains and bars) in the terminal. If you ever make it to St. Louis for more than a layover, the city has some amazing food options!

gj83 St. Louis is known for a few items including Toasted Ravioli. It's also home to Gooey-Butter Cake and a type of pizza with wafer thin crust. It has a great type of BBQ that is much less vinegar tasting than that of Kansas City and has more variety than the pulled-pork-only I've sampled in North Carolina.
St. Louis bbq is good. St. Louis "pizza" has been often discussed on FT. Do a search for "worst pizza". St. Louis "pizza" isnt pizza but rather a soggy cracker with canned pasta sauce and some form of hydrocarbon by-product that is termed "cheese" melted on the top. It is a crime against humanity, and perhaps against nature. Not that I have a strong opinion on it

The bbq place I am talking about at the airport isnt a chain, and last time I was there I would certainly rate it as okay. Not as good as the place we went to that was an old gas station with a bulletproof glass window with a slide under it so that they could exchange food for money without getting shot (it wasnt in a great neighborhood), but still decent.
Old May 15, 2008, 10:33 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
don't forget brain sandwiches http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309139
Old May 15, 2008, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
St. Louis bbq is good. St. Louis "pizza" has been often discussed on FT. Do a search for "worst pizza". St. Louis "pizza" isnt pizza but rather a soggy cracker with canned pasta sauce and some form of hydrocarbon by-product that is termed "cheese" melted on the top. It is a crime against humanity, and perhaps against nature. Not that I have a strong opinion on it
Yes, the kind popularized with the chain Imo's. I lived in MO for 8 years and only ate at Imo's once.

It is more like a cracker with "sauce" and a bucket of oil poured on top!
Old May 18, 2008, 9:48 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.

The bbq place I am talking about at the airport isnt a chain, and last time I was there I would certainly rate it as okay. Not as good as the place we went to that was an old gas station with a bulletproof glass window with a slide under it so that they could exchange food for money without getting shot (it wasnt in a great neighborhood), but still decent.
i am not a big st louis fan but you have it backwards. our bbq is a handful of chains and no real places with character. kc on the other hand has authentic famous bbq places. your discussion of stl pizza shows your lack of experience. st louis pizza at the right places is some of the best you will ever had. i am a bit biased as i just finished one.
Old May 18, 2008, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by abk
i am not a big st louis fan but you have it backwards. our bbq is a handful of chains and no real places with character. kc on the other hand has authentic famous bbq places. your discussion of stl pizza shows your lack of experience. st louis pizza at the right places is some of the best you will ever had. i am a bit biased as i just finished one.
Please do a search here for worst pizza. I am not alone in my view. I dont doubt that there are a few places with decent pizza in a city that size. There is some stunning Italian food. Cunettos comes to mind but there are lots of other good ones. In addition, you probably dont know bbq in that city. The places I am talking about arent chains although even the chains are good. KC Masterpiece is a lot better bbq place than Imos is a pizza place I dont go there as frequently now but some friends and I started a company there 10 years ago and for quite some time I was going there once a week to consult. So I have spent quite a bit of time there.
Old May 18, 2008, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by abk
I said that upthread and got shot down. I lived in COU and never heard of any STL bbq, but KC is the home of many famous BBQ places.

When I think of STL food I think German and Italian. Beer, Brats, Pizza, no BBQ.
Old May 18, 2008, 10:50 pm

I said that upthread and got shot down. I lived in COU and never heard of any STL bbq, but KC is the home of many famous BBQ places.

When I think of STL food I think German and Italian. Beer, Brats, Pizza, no BBQ.
Im not saying KC isnt better, Im just saying there are some good places in STL. Which you said upthread as well. Ill try to remember the name of the place I went that was so good. They have one place over in Illinois and one close to downtown up towards 70. The latter was the one we went to.
Old May 19, 2008, 5:01 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by abk
i am not a big st louis fan but you have it backwards. our bbq is a handful of chains and no real places with character. st louis pizza at the right places is some of the best you will ever had. i am a bit biased as i just finished one.
Please do share your BBQ and Pizza spots^^, a good thread on St Louis eats here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688182

--
Old May 19, 2008, 2:32 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Please do a search here for worst pizza. I am not alone in my view. I dont doubt that there are a few places with decent pizza in a city that size. There is some stunning Italian food. Cunettos comes to mind but there are lots of other good ones. In addition, you probably dont know bbq in that city. The places I am talking about arent chains although even the chains are good. KC Masterpiece is a lot better bbq place than Imos is a pizza place I dont go there as frequently now but some friends and I started a company there 10 years ago and for quite some time I was going there once a week to consult. So I have spent quite a bit of time there.
as to pizza, i think you are confusing your dislike for provel cheese with the thin crust characteristics of a true st louis style pizza. even in stl there are those who like provel and those who don't. irrespective of cheese preferences i stand by my statement that st louis style thin crust pizza is to die for. i did a search fairly quickly on the worst pizza and it appears that you and one or two others show up in the same thread. to each his own. go to farrotos or bartolinos some time and tell me if i am wrong.

as to bbq, we are famous for st louis style ribs which danny meyer has now taken to nyc. interestingly enough we do not have a famous place to eat those ribs in stl. we are not famous for classic bbq restaraunts like kc. i had the pleasure of eating at arthur bryants in kc two months ago and i can absolutely promise you that there is no place than even compares in stl. that is not to mention gates are the original kc masterpiece. as a point of reference kc masterpiece closed there stl locations in 2005.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.