BBQ in Chicago

Old Oct 9, 2013, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cheltzel
It's a shame there is no Texas BBQ here. I know some places back home that would just smoke anything around here (all puns intended).

These are not fancy restaurants. You typically get your food on plates/tubs in something that looks like a milk crate and you eat on butcher paper on a long communal tables.
We recently went to Stiles Switch in AUS. Wife picked it at random off a Googled search "Best BBQ Austin."

I thought the brisket was quite good. I imagine a place that served such food would be mobbed in Chicago.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I would guess he's a Sox fan and you're not going to convince him of anything!
@:-)

Originally Posted by 318i
At the risk of getting hyperlocal and making it really obvious where I live / who I am, there are like seven separate neighborhoods in the mile between the Addison & Southport intersection and the lake.
I just moved from 6 blocks south of the stadium to 3 blocks north, so I am well aware (Coincidentally, you listed them more or less in decreasing order of attractiveness.)

Focus: go back to Wrigley BBQ and get the pulled pork with sweet potato fries. Delicious as always last night.
It's on one of my running routes, so next time I'm by there and hungry I will give it another shot.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 7:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
For me it's all about Fat Willy's Rib Shack. I went there about three years ago and it was absolutely excellent. A little expensive but they have great food and Goose Island 312 on tap. Also, I don't know if it still is but it used to be iDine.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 6:42 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Barn & Company...... Seems like Sweet Wille needs to arrange something.
upcoming Barn & Co BBQ Flyertalk dinner: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...-nov-21-a.html

All are welcome to attend:-:
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I've been meaning to ask this far a while ...

I am originally from Texas and am seriously biased/addicted to Texas style BBQ. I have looked all over for a decent Texas style BBQ place around here and cannot find it. There is something about the way the meat is smoked or the mix of woods used in smoking.

Don't want to start an argument/discussion about different styles of Q.

Sadly, you won't find it and even sadder, I have yet to find BBQ that I really love in the city. I've lived here ten years. My go-to is Fat Willy's but over the past few years they've changed for the worse. They no longer have my beloved baked spaghetti as a side. Chicago does not do BBQ well.

I will try Wrigleyville BBQ as others have suggested. I live near the Southport corridor so it's just a short walk away. Anyone who knocks this area clearly hasn't spent any time here. My neighborhood is gorgeous, though I am clearly the pauper on my block.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
Chicago does not do BBQ well.
rib tips at a number of places (& links at Barbara Ann's) yes we do. The rest, you are correct.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

The far southwest side of Chicago is VERY fortunate to have a BBQ spot that serves fantastic links & rib tips.

Stay clear of the beef ribs & chicken, but indulge on the rib tips & links, terrific.

Uncle John's II
5103 W. Sauk Trail
Richton Park, IL 60471
708-679-0784
http://www.unclejohnsbarbque.com/index.html
NOT open on Sundays or Mondays
Old Mar 23, 2014, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I should have known better - I purchased a Robinson's #1 Ribs Groupon a while back and thought I had better use it. I stopped yesterday afternoon for carry-out. What a disappointment. The Groupon was for an appetizer and a full slab or two other entrees and a side. Since most of the appetizers are also BBQ related, I just decided to get a Caesar salad and a full slab. The salad was OK - the Romaine was fresh and crisp and came with Marzetti's packaged dressing. The ribs were just OK, as was the sauce they were swimming in. The cole slaw tasted funny - I'm not sure whether it was old or just some weird spice. I chose potato salad as a side - partially raw potatoes and completely tasteless. After I tasted it, I dumped a little vinegar on it as well as some salt and pepper and stirred it up. That gave it a little flavor. I won't be back.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

fantastic rib tips at Exsenator's BBQ in Markham IL http://exsenatorsbbq.net/

The link was great quality but was dry, I'm guessing left over from the day prior.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
FWIW, Chicago is ranked No. 13 on the list of America's Best Cities for Barbecue by Travel+Leisure: http://bit.ly/1pkPEHo. The entry notes, among other things, that "Chicago has made its own mark on the BBQ world, often by way of rib tips, taken off the ends of St. Louis–style spareribs. County BBQ gives shout-outs to East Carolina, West Texas, St. Louis, and Memphis in its approach to slow-smoked brisket, ribs, and burnt ends..."
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by legalalien
FWIW, Chicago is ranked No. 13 on the list of America's Best Cities for Barbecue by Travel+Leisure: http://bit.ly/1pkPEHo. The entry notes, among other things, that "Chicago has made its own mark on the BBQ world, often by way of rib tips...
Thanks for the link legalalien, I believe rib tips are easily Chicago's best BBQ product overall, I know it is always an item I order.

Another common aspect to lots of BBQ joints in Chicago is the use of a particular type of smoker, anyone can do a search for "chicago aquarium smoker" to see what I'm talking about.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: United, Hilton Honors
Q-BBQ is my favorites spot in the city so far.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benchardf
Q-BBQ is my favorites spot in the city so far.
which meat(s) do you like at Q?

I went to the Naperville location, here is a review I wrote:

Mrs Willie & I had the mega sampler platter at Q in Naperville on Sat night.

Turkey was outstanding, moist, great smoke, simply divine.

Links were ok but not near the quality/taste of Barbara Ann's or Uncle John's

3 kind of brisket on this sampler platter: burnt ends, chopped, & sliced. Chopped was the best, but that isn't saying much, I'd rather have had 3 kinds of the turkey.

pulled chicken - DRY !!! DRY !!!! DRY !!!! sawdust taste

pulled pork - so-so

ribs - very sweet rub, I did enjoy these as they had a bit of chew and were not jello

two types of wings - spicy & regular - they seemed smoked, then fried. Good but not up to par with Barn & Co.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm still continuing my search for decent Hush Puppies in Chicago. I've decided they don't exist.

I require North Carolina style - not sweet, dense, corny, loaded with onion. Fried in a free-form style that sort of resembles big Cheetos.

The only thing I can find are those fluffy, sweet, round abominations.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Update on this previous suggestion:

Focus: go back to Wrigley BBQ and get the pulled pork with sweet potato fries. Delicious as always last night.
Did so a few weeks ago and was pleased. Will stick with the pork when I go in the future.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.