Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:07 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Yes, three hours should be fine.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:40 am
glg

Why would you need to collect your bags and recheck? Even if this is on separate itineraries, you just give your NH itinerary to UA at LGA/EWR and they'll tag your bags all the way through to SIN. NH departs from T1 at ORD, same as UA.

The only thing you're chancing is weather. Given the last couple of days, I don't know that anything short of staying at ORD for a couple of days would completely ensure you make it. (ie, 3 hours is fine unless the weather gets awful in NY or Chicago)
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Assuming flights are on time, you'll have about 2.5 hours to spare. You're more than OK with this connection - just check your bags through and walk to the gate for your onward flight - no recheck, no security, nothing.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:21 pm

Thanks for all your responses - much appreciated!

As glg rightly pointed out, I am also very concerned with the weather and how it will affect the flight departures/arrivals. No doubt I am taking a chance here, but will still have to stick to this itinerary due to my tight schedule.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:37 pm

minimum connecting time in ORD from United to America

I arrive in ORD with United airline and need to connect to Toronto with American Airline. I also believe they are in different terminal. So, what is the minimum connecting time I should build in to make the flight?

My flight arrives at 5:40 am, there is an connecting AA flight at 7:50am and another one at 11:00am. Is it safe to book the 7:50am flight?

Please advise, thanks.s
Old Feb 3, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
The 7:50 flight is safe. It won't take that long to walk to the next terminal.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT
As linsj mentioned, you can walk from T1 to T3 airside (without having to reclear security). Even from a C gate it shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes walking at a leisurely pace to reach the furthest gates in T3. 2 hours and 10 minutes is plenty of time.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by lililolo
I arrive in ORD with United airline and need to connect to Toronto with American Airline.
From where does your flight into ORD originate? If it is international and you have to clear immigration and customs, you will need more time than a simple domestic flight.

I also believe they are in different terminal. So, what is the minimum connecting time I should build in to make the flight?
Are you buying these as separate tickets? If so, and your UA flight is delayed, AA will likely not protect you on the next flight. If not, then go for the earlier one.

My flight arrives at 5:40 am, there is an connecting AA flight at 7:50am and another one at 11:00am. Is it safe to book the 7:50am flight?
2h 10m should be plenty of time if all goes on-time. But, keep in mind there have a been a lot of delays/cancellations lately in ORD. What time of year is your flight?

At the end of the day, only you can decide how risk averse you want to be in your booking(s).
Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
OZ to AA question/advice

Arriving 08:30 in mid-Feb (Saturday) from ICN on OZ forward economy cabin, maybe biz) connecting to AA (first class) domestic at 10:15. Separate tickets. I have Global Entry. I will have checked luggage (hopefully interlined to final destination but I know I need to clear customs and re-check).

Is this doable, assuming everything is on time? Last time I arrived in Chicago (from Europe) I was at my UA gate in under an hour.

Flightstats isn't very encouraging. In Dec and Jan the on-time percentage for OZ236 was only 31% with an average delay of 25 minutes. My AA ticket allows for same day standby which is why I bought it rather than a later flight. But maybe I should switch now and just take the six hour transit instead of 1:45. Thoughts appreciated.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Arriving 08:30 in mid-Feb (Saturday) from ICN on OZ forward economy cabin, maybe biz) connecting to AA (first class) domestic at 10:15. Separate tickets. I have Global Entry. I will have checked luggage (hopefully interlined to final destination but I know I need to clear customs and re-check).

Is this doable, assuming everything is on time? Last time I arrived in Chicago (from Europe) I was at my UA gate in under an hour.

Flightstats isn't very encouraging. In Dec and Jan the on-time percentage for OZ236 was only 31% with an average delay of 25 minutes. My AA ticket allows for same day standby which is why I bought it rather than a later flight. But maybe I should switch now and just take the six hour transit instead of 1:45. Thoughts appreciated.
With GE and Priority Access - and possibly TSA PreCheck - in T3 you should be fine if inbound from ICN is on time. T3 is closer to T5 so you save a few minutes compared to UA gates. Delays might make things uncomfortably tight, especially if your bags aren't interlined to the final destination. ORD baggage cut-off time is 40 minutes.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by legalalien
With GE and Priority Access - and possibly TSA PreCheck - in T3 you should be fine if inbound from ICN is on time. T3 is closer to T5 so you save a few minutes compared to UA gates. Delays might make things uncomfortably tight, especially if your bags aren't interlined to the final destination. ORD baggage cut-off time is 40 minutes.
thanks. If I don't get a tag through to my final destination in ICN, can I still drop off (check) the bag with AA after customs in T5 or do I have to go all the way to T3 in order to check the bag? I can check in for my AA flight online and print my boarding pass in ICN. might help with making the 40 minute cut off if the flight is late.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
thanks. If I don't get a tag through to my final destination in ICN, can I still drop off (check) the bag with AA after customs in T5 or do I have to go all the way to T3 in order to check the bag? I can check in for my AA flight online and print my boarding pass in ICN. might help with making the 40 minute cut off if the flight is late.
There are people who can help and print new bag tags. I don't foresee any issues, especially if you have your boarding pass already. However, ORD is usually my final destination, so I do not have first-hand experience with the process.

If you do get TSA PreCheck, remember that there are two PreCheck lanes at T3: one by VX counter/EXP security/Checkpoint 8 - the original one - and one on the other side of general security (Checkpoint 3? One prior to G gates checkpoint). The former occasionally has long lines, especially during weekday mornings, while the latter is rarely busy.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Both UA and AA maintain recheck counters at T5. So you should be able to recheck your bags and get your onward boarding pass.

But, like legalalien, ORD is my home airport so I don't have personal experience doing this.

Last edited by cheltzel; Feb 10, 2014 at 1:59 am
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:58 pm

legalalien and cheltzel, thanks for the answers.

The flight from ICN arrived about ten minutes late and it seemed like it took forever to bring the jetway up to the plane. I was first off and there were no lines for immigration. I tried using global entry and that worked very nicely (even though half the kiosks were down). Long wait for luggage. Long wait. And another long wait to hand my slip to the customs/agricultural inspection officers. Still, I made the cut off for handing bags over to AA by a good ten minutes. Then another seemingly long wait for the train (it really couldn't have been more than ten minutes since one was pulling out as I got there but it seemed like forever). Given pre-check by AA which was very nice (my first time) and not only was the process quick but there was no one waiting. So I got to the gate three minutes before boarding began.

Last edited by eefor jfp; Mar 3, 2014 at 10:22 am Reason: added second paragraph with results
Old Feb 24, 2014, 5:31 am

It's been a while since I've posted on this thread. Here's an update.

Most of the food court seating area is finally open. There's new seating and there are tables and chairs which have electrical outlets attached to them. These have been a really big hit with the public.

By the end of March we should be seeing the remainder of the food establishments and the airside bar opening up. I think everyone will love the design they have instore for the bar.

There's talk that with all the updgrades being done in the core of the terminal that each of the hold rooms need a refresh with carpet and new seating to match.

Salvatore Ferragamo is finally open and the final buildouts of Armani, Michael Kors and a high end watch store is progressing nicely.

Finally, there is talk and some planning being done on the ability to run bus shuttles from T1, T2 and T3 to/from T5 airside for passengers and connecting passengers. The City and Westfield see a huge opportunity for revenue and convenience.

A few pictures...

Last edited by ords; Feb 24, 2014 at 5:53 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.