Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Getting from ORD Airport to Downtown/Hilton

Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, VA

Investigating ways of travelling to the hotel.
Google maps states going by road may take more than 60mins, so same time as taking the train?
Are there airport shuttles available? (Need to prebook?)

Thanks
Old Sep 17, 2016, 12:38 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
What day of the week and time of the day are you arriving? The El is probably a better option if it's during rush hour, but otherwise driving might be a little bit faster.

There are shuttles -- Go Airport Express -- and you do not need to pre-book. Look for them on the ground floor of the terminal near baggage claim. Uber also does airport pick ups.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks.

My flight from YYZ arrives on a Sat at 1PM.
I am likely to have a bit of baggage so wasn't too keen on taking the train unless it was quicker. Also I would need to lug my bags for about a half mile to the hotel.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 11:19 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Texter
Thanks.

My flight from YYZ arrives on a Sat at 1PM.
I am likely to have a bit of baggage so wasn't too keen on taking the train unless it was quicker. Also I would need to lug my bags for about a half mile to the hotel.
Yeah, just take a cab, Uber or a shuttle. You won't save any time on the blue line, and it might actually take longer because they seem to be doing a lot of work on that route on weekends.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You can take the Blue Line and transfer to the Red Line at Jackson and then walk 3 blocks from Harrison or take uber from there. Or take the Blue Line to Jackson and uber from there. If staying at the Chicago Hilton I take the Blue Line to the Red Line and walk from Harrison but I usually just have a roller bag.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Uber. Uber. Uber.

Nothing beats price & convenience.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Investigating ways of travelling to the hotel.
Google maps states going by road may take more than 60mins, so same time as taking the train?
The cab drivers are pretty good at bypassing the worst traffic jams so they are likely to do better than Google suggests. You should also check Google maps for the day and time you will be travelling.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
You can take the Blue Line and transfer to the Red Line at Jackson and then walk 3 blocks from Harrison or take uber from there. Or take the Blue Line to Jackson and uber from there. If staying at the Chicago Hilton I take the Blue Line to the Red Line and walk from Harrison but I usually just have a roller bag.
Or just walk from Jackson. Probably 5 minutes more than transferring to the red line, before the transfer time waiting to go 2 blocks.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Most EL stations in the loop require that you walk up and down stairs, which can be bad with luggage. Plan your route around transfers and stations that are marked as accessible on the map.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by milepig
Or just walk from Jackson. Probably 5 minutes more than transferring to the red line, before the transfer time waiting to go 2 blocks.
When I stay at the Hilton, the weather is usually cold and nasty. Otherwise, I agree.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Most EL stations in the loop require that you walk up and down stairs, which can be bad with luggage. Plan your route around transfers and stations that are marked as accessible on the map.
Jackson fits the bill.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 18, 2016 at 10:28 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 19, 2016, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.
Going by road seems the go.
Everyone in US seems to use Uber - Will have to give a try back home before attempting overseas... Not having a local SIM or data might pose an issue using the App?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Thanks everyone.
Going by road seems the go.
Everyone in US seems to use Uber - Will have to give a try back home before attempting overseas... Not having a local SIM or data might pose an issue using the App?
You are going to need data to use the app. If you have roaming then it will work at a price.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 1:29 pm
glg

Originally Posted by MADPhil
The cab drivers are pretty good at bypassing the worst traffic jams so they are likely to do better than Google suggests. You should also check Google maps for the day and time you will be travelling.
I would agree with this and go a step further, check the traffic when you arrive. Traffic jams inbound on Saturday afternoons are pretty common with people coming into the city from the suburbs for the evening. OP will probably be ahead of that at 1pm (seems more like 3-4pm it gets bad).
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:58 pm

Uber will cost you about $25-$35 depending on traffic. Taking the El will cost you $5 from the airport. If there's traffic, taking Uber into the city will take just as long as taking the El.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.