Reload this Page >

I hate Lollapalooza

I hate Lollapalooza

Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
I hate Lollapalooza

Normal commute home to South Loop = 20 minutes. Today = 2.5 HOURS. Tomorrow morning my sidewalks will be covered with vomit and the alleys will stink of piss. Grant Park will have millions of dollars in damage. I've been hearing ambulance sirens for hours.

All this so a bunch of 18 year old hop heads can cut at least a decade off the lifespan of their ear drums.

I hate Lollapalooza.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So . . . they need to get off your lawn?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:05 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I hate Lolla, too, but I was surprised at how quickly I got from Lakeview, where I live, to the South Loop, where the BF lives, on LSD at 6pm last night. It was quite possibly my fastest rush hour drive on that route ever, and pretty similar in timing to when I make that drive late at night. Interestingly, last night Google Maps told me to pass Roosevelt and instead take 55 to State St. and then head back north.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:30 pm

Perhaps the LSD made time seem to speed up, giving you a fast rush.... hour...
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by xooz
Perhaps the LSD made time seem to speed up, giving you a fast rush.... hour...
Someone who wasn't familiar with Chicago could might overhear a lot of conversations about acid. "I'm on LSD right now." "I'm going to take LSD." "I just got off of LSD." "I'm stuck on LSD."
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Someone who wasn't familiar with Chicago could might overhear a lot of conversations about acid. "I'm on LSD right now." "I'm going to take LSD." "I just got off of LSD." "I'm stuck on LSD."
I've always thought that about the name of the road. Without the appropriate background knowledge, this thread actually fits with Woodst - err, Lollapalooza.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by dakuda
I've always thought that about the name of the road. Without the appropriate background knowledge, this thread actually fits with Woodst - err, Lollapalooza.
Speaking off...both Lolla and the Grateful Dead attracted in excess of 200,000 attendees over three days. The GD resulted in only one arrest and two citations (all marijuana related). Lolla, in contrast, had 34 arrests and 61 citations. Startling differences.

(Though I'll acknowledge that the CPD clearly took a hands-off approach for the Dead shows. As I commented to the boyfriend, half of the people at Soldier Field were openly smoking pot...who are the three unlucky people who got busted and how egregious (or unlucky) was their behavior?)
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:30 am
glg

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Speaking off...both Lolla and the Grateful Dead attracted in excess of 200,000 attendees over three days. The GD resulted in only one arrest and two citations (all marijuana related). Lolla, in contrast, had 34 arrests and 61 citations. Startling differences.

(Though I'll acknowledge that the CPD clearly took a hands-off approach for the Dead shows. As I commented to the boyfriend, half of the people at Soldier Field were openly smoking pot...who are the three unlucky people who got busted and how egregious (or unlucky) was their behavior?)
95 out of 200000 is still a pretty small number. Looking at the Trib's list of offenses:
1. Tresspassing/Fence Jumping/Illegal Entry. Soldier doesn't have fences that can be jumped like Grant Park does.
2. Illegal sales around the perimeter. Lolla would want this policed to make sure people are buying official merch. GD wouldn't care, so probably went unenforced.
3. Drugs/Alcohol. A lot of this probably goes to the average age of attendees. Lolla kids are way more likely to do something dumb like drink too much and get into a fight than a GD-era oldster (or even a Phish-era oldster like me). Most of us did dumb stuff when we were that age too.

As to the 3 arrested/cited at the GD shows, probably a case of being dumb and rubbing it in. ie, not putting it away when the cop walks by or maybe even dumb enough to blow smoke in a cop's face.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by milepig
Normal commute home to South Loop = 20 minutes. Today = 2.5 HOURS. Tomorrow morning my sidewalks will be covered with vomit and the alleys will stink of piss.
I'm guessing you're not too fond of New Orleans either?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I'm guessing you're not too fond of New Orleans either?
New Orleans, at least the French Quarter = Disneyland. Chicago is a real city with people with lives to live.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:31 pm

New Orleans, at least the French Quarter = Disneyland. Chicago is a real city with people with lives to live.
Disneyland is at least clean. The French Quarter has the fragrances you suggested above, as well as sweat and stale beer.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I have some friends who live in Chicago who normally get out of town/visit me for Lolla, as they hate it & live close enough to hear all the noise. They didn't visit this time, so wonder if they went to NOLA instead

Cheers.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
It took me 2 hours last week to get from Schaumburg to Andersonville, Friday at noon. Normally 45 minutes.

Hey Chicago take advantage of these festivities to get us out of our financial mess!
Old Aug 7, 2015, 4:49 pm

Normal commute home to South Loop = 20 minutes. Today = 2.5 HOURS. Tomorrow morning my sidewalks will be covered with vomit and the alleys will stink of piss. Grant Park will have millions of dollars in damage. I've been hearing ambulance sirens for hours.

All this so a bunch of 18 year old hop heads can cut at least a decade off the lifespan of their ear drums.

I hate Lollapalooza.
It's not so bad, really. This is my neighborhood after every Cubs game and bar crawl. Someone drove on the sidewalk the entire length of my block a few weeks ago.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
It's not so bad, really. This is my neighborhood after every Cubs game and bar crawl. Someone drove on the sidewalk the entire length of my block a few weeks ago.
Of course, the difference is that anyone who moves to Wrigleyville knows what to expect unless they are none to bright (you are a Sox fan, right? ) The ballpark was there before any living person. (Granted, driving on the sidewalk is a bit much. )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.