Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Restaurants in Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
agreed, Pilsen & elsewhere. I just can't see the tacos at Big Star being superior.When Mitsuwa has a takoyaki vendor show up I'm in heaven. Looks like I'll have to get to Furious Spoon sometime, love takoyaki.
I still haven't ventured down to Pilsen. I'm a fan of Big Star, but not solely for the tacos. The tacos are good, but I also like the patio atmosphere and cocktails. It also helps that it's four blocks from my house. Where should I go in Pilsen?

Re: takoyaki, it was one of my favorite street foods when I lived in Japan, and I rarely see it done in the states. The version at Furious Spoon is solid - excellent texture, proper sauces, and perfectly portioned bonito flakes. I haven't yet been to Mitsuwa, but I'll have to give it a shot.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
agreed, Pilsen & elsewhere. I just can't see the tacos at Big Star being superior.When Mitsuwa has a takoyaki vendor show up I'm in heaven. Looks like I'll have to get to Furious Spoon sometime, love takoyaki.
Have you been to Kurumaya Japanese Kitchen in EGV? I've had the octopus balls there and they were pretty darn good.

1201 E Higgins Rd, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007
(847) 437-2222

They owner/chef has beautiful hand decorated menus and overall excellent food. They don't have a website or an online menu (at least one that I have found). IMO the food rivals a good restaurant in Japan. A word of warning, it is not cheap. Not over the top expensive but the food is high quality and the fish is incredibly fresh, and you pay for it.

But is is about a block east of Lou Malnati's on Higgins on the south side of the street. You would never notice it if you weren't looking for it.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:27 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Is fat rice any good? I tend to shy away from places winning Yelp popularity polls.
Very! Just had lunch there with a friend who was expressing surprise at how popular it is simply because the Chicago Yelp crowd sometimes shies away from things that are too exotic. (And Fat Rice has dishes with whole dried fish -- anchovies, I think - in it.) Check it out...you won't be disappointed.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Very! Just had lunch there with a friend who was expressing surprise at how popular it is simply because the Chicago Yelp crowd sometimes shies away from things that are too exotic. (And Fat Rice has dishes with whole dried fish -- anchovies, I think - in it.) Check it out...you won't be disappointed.
TBH, Girl and The Goat has couple of weird items on their menu but still seems to be rocking the popularity polls.
(Disclaimer - Never been to Girl & The Goat)

Another disappointment... Cemitas Puebla. I have eaten better tortas in a gas station .
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
DW and I are spending 3 days in ORD together in August so this thread has been helpful. Current plans are Lou Malnati's the night we land, Alinea the following night and Frontera Grill the third. I am staying longer after she flies back and will sample some of the other recs on this thread.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:46 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by gardener
DW and I are spending 3 days in ORD together in August so this thread has been helpful.
I'd strongly encourage you to get out of the airport during those three days.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
DW and I are spending 3 days in ORD together in August so this thread has been helpful. Current plans are Lou Malnati's the night we land, Alinea the following night and Frontera Grill the third. I am staying longer after she flies back and will sample some of the other recs on this thread.
Hope you know the difference between Lou's and Giordanos. Only latter has "stuffed pizza" whereas Lou's is deep dish (thicker, raised crust). The confusion is quite common.

Frontera is quite good too but Topolobampo is Baylesss' crowning jewel.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried Hi Five Ramen for the first time last night and loved it! It was nothing like the ramen I am accustomed to from Japan - it seemed much more Chinese in terms of complexity and spice. I will be back!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Three very different dining experiences. Good choices, although I'm not a big fan of either stuffed or deep dish pizza.

If you have any change of plans, I'd recommend a Paul Kahan restaurant. A few are mentioned in this thread, but my favorite has always been The Publican.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Gold.
I'm coming to Chicago tomorrow for the first time and plan on having dinner at Gibsons (thanks for the recommendation) on Friday night.

Can anyone advise if I'll need to make a reservation? (I'll be dining alone)

I'm staying at the Drake if the makes any difference, I'm thinking the concierge may be able to do something if necessary.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:56 am
glg

Originally Posted by Guster
I'm coming to Chicago tomorrow for the first time and plan on having dinner at Gibsons (thanks for the recommendation) on Friday night.

Can anyone advise if I'll need to make a reservation? (I'll be dining alone)

I'm staying at the Drake if the makes any difference, I'm thinking the concierge may be able to do something if necessary.
They're on opentable, it appears only 4, 4:30, and 9:30 are left for 1 person on Friday. Note that you can also get a Gibson's steak next door at Hugo's Frog Bar, but the reservation times there aren't much better, 5:30 and 9.

I'd call the concierge today.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Gold.
Originally Posted by glg
They're on opentable, it appears only 4, 4:30, and 9:30 are left for 1 person on Friday. Note that you can also get a Gibson's steak next door at Hugo's Frog Bar, but the reservation times there aren't much better, 5:30 and 9.

I'd call the concierge today.
I did and she got me a 5.30 at Gibsons. Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Guster
I did and she got me a 5.30 at Gibsons. Thanks for your help.
Hope you enjoy it, it's one of my favorite restaurants. My Dad and I always go when we're visiting Chicago.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
So DW and I had some nice experiences:

Lunch at Frontera (and Rick Bayless was "in the kitchen") - guacamole + sikil pak combo app was amazing, trio of moles also great

Had lunches at both Lou Malnati's and Giordano's so we could compare. We liked Giordano's better

Found Kurah Mediterranean Tapas in the South Loop, that was good and very reasonably priced

And a mind blowing experience at Alinea in Lincoln Park, service and food and presentation all superb.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG
Check Please for restaurant recommendations

If you're looking for Chicago restaurant ideas, I recommend you check out the Check, Please! database at http://checkplease.wttw.com/
Check, Please! is a Chicago PBS station restaurant review show. They review a lot of really interesting places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.