Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

O'Hare International Connecting Flights

Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Greetings Everyone,

Does anyone here happen to know for certain which terminal/concourse the All Nippon International flights depart from at O’Hare? According to O’Hare’s site, they list this airline in both Terminals 1 and 5 but I don’t see where it mentions anything about international departures.

The main reason I am asking is because I am trying to decide whether or not to schedule a certain flight itinerary – arriving into O’hare on United Express in Terminal 1, and I would have only 1 hour and 11 minutes to make a connecting ANA Nippon flight, either at Terminal 1 or 5. I see on IFlyChicago.com it shows ANA Nippon flights in Terminal 1, but as mentioned above, on O’Hare’s own site, it shows both Terminal 1 and 5 for ANA flights.

Would an hour and 11 minutes give me enough time to make my connecting international flight? That’s my main concern. I understand that most Intl. flights board at least 35 minutes before take-off.

Thank you in advance.

Ps: Please excuse me if I placed this in the wrong forum. If so, I would be happy to move it where it belongs if someone could steer me in the right direction.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
ANA to NRT departs from T1. 70min is plenty of time...assuming a semi-on time arrival which, with UAX, may be risky to assume. . Personally I'd go with a longer connection if available, especially if you absolutely have to make the flight.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 2:46 am

T5 is used for all international arrivals at ORD regardless of the airline since it's the only terminal equipped with customs/immigration. Some foreign airlines fly out of the "domestic" terminals (1,2,3) because of the partnerships with other airlines. (For example, ANA and Lufthansa fly out of T1, AirBerlin and Qatar fly out of T3 - OneWorld alliance with American. Swiss, even though it is Star Alliance, flies out of T5.) 70 minutes is risky, but it depends on whether your inbound flight is on time. You may have to walk up to maybe 10 minutes between gates (especially if one of the gates is at concourse C). As XLR26 said, a longer connection would be better but you would also likely sit in ORD for a few hours.

Are you sure that the United Express flight comes into T1? Some of their flights come into T2 (maybe another ~10 minutes away, no security as far as I remember), but I don't know what (if any) sort of consistency there may be with that.

Have a good trip!
Old Feb 22, 2015, 5:01 am

To the OP, thanks for pointing the issue about ANA out. I'll pass it along to the IT folks so a change can be made.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

dubbs, thank you for the reply. You're right -- I checked some of the arrivals at ORD from my usual departure airport (FWA) and I do see a couple arrivals into T2, so I would have quite a walk to T1 to catch an Intl. flight on ANA. My tentative flight is a few weeks away so I wouldn't yet know exactly which terminal i would arrive at in ORD.

XLR, thank you for your feedback too.. I would have plenty of time to connect if I was to arrive into T1, just not as sure if it was a T2 arrival. I would assume though that I would have to go through security to walk from T2 to T1, especially since it's an Intl. flight but I could be wrong.

ords, you're welcome. I just had a bad experience when I booked an itinerary through Orbitz a couple years ago with short layovers. I arrived into ORD from PHX on USAir and had to catch a connecting flight with UA. I had a looong walk (ran most of it) and was still 10-15 minutes too late so I had to catch a different flight a few hours later. I've now learned to check and double check layover times before clicking "Book Itinerary".

Last edited by Brent8811; Feb 23, 2015 at 12:45 am Reason: errors
Old Feb 22, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Brent8811
dubbs, thank you for the reply. You're right -- I checked some of the arrivals at ORD from my usual departure airport (FWA) and I do see a couple arrivals into T1, so I would have quite a walk to T2 to catch an Intl. flight on ANA. My tentative flight is a few weeks away so I wouldn't yet know exactly which terminal i would arrive at in ORD.

XLR, thank you for your feedback too.. I would have plenty of time to connect if I was to arrive into T1, just not as sure if it was a T2 arrival. I would assume though that I would have to go through security to walk from T2 to T1, especially since it's an Intl. flight but I could be wrong.

ords, you're welcome. I just had a bad experience when I booked an itinerary through Orbitz a couple years ago with short layovers. I arrived into ORD from PHX on USAir and had to catch a connecting flight with UA. I had a looong walk (ran most of it) and was still 10-15 minutes too late so I had to catch a different flight a few hours later. I've now learned to check and double check layover times before clicking "Book Itinerary".
Not following your first paragraph. ANA from T2?

You can stay airside between T2 and T1. No need to clear security again.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:51 am
Original Poster

XLR, my mistake.. I had the #'s turned around.. it should make sense after the correction I made. It's nice to know that I wouldn't have to go through security again upon arrival... what a relief! -- that should save me at least 10 minutes.

Thank you for the heads up!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by littledubbs
Qatar fly out of T3
Off topic, but I note that QR departures moved to T5 starting late last year.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by FindAWay
Off topic, but I note that QR departures moved to T5 starting late last year.
Interesting - thanks for the info.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.