Wiki Posts
Search

Deplaning at T5

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Red face Deplaning at T5

Hi I am flying in from LHR-ORD.My flight lands at T5 at 3pm

1-Is that a busy time or a low tide time? I have a 1.5 hour domestic connection, so I am just wondering whether it would be enough?

2-Once you deplane what is the route to Immigration?. Is it a straight walk or do you have to walk a lot or climb up or down any level ?

Thanks you guys
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by La_Ila_Iley
Hi I am flying in from LHR-ORD.My flight lands at T5 at 3pm

1-Is that a busy time or a low tide time? I have a 1.5 hour domestic connection, so I am just wondering whether it would be enough?

2-Once you deplane what is the route to Immigration?. Is it a straight walk or do you have to walk a lot or climb up or down any level ?

Thanks you guys
1.5 hours is tight, especially is you need to claim bags. Everything you need to know is in the "how to connect" sticky thread at the top of the list.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:10 am

Actually, a little more detail usually helps. What airline and the day you're flying on could make a huge difference.

If it's BA, it's a straight walk to immigration with no levels....flat land all the way. At 1500 it could be tight as there's several other flights usually in the hall around that time.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:58 am
Original Poster

I'm flying BA . landing on friday 15:00. So essentially I will have to rush to the Immigration counter to beat the crowds ?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I'm flying BA . landing on friday 15:00. So essentially I will have to rush to the Immigration counter to beat the crowds ?
Which airline your connection is with is also relevant as is whether this is on one ticket or separate tickets.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ords
If it's BA, it's a straight walk to immigration with no levels....flat land all the way. At 1500 it could be tight as there's several other flights usually in the hall around that time.
I don't understand this, AFAIK all the gates require you to go down to the lower level for Immigration/Baggage Claim, and you then need to go back up 2 levels to the train.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, some clarification about the route to Immigration/baggage would help. So once i leave the plane where do I head to?I ask because I had surgery recently and would like to know what level of climbing up/down should I anticipate .If its a short walk , then I wouldn't want to engage wheelchair service.
Thanks guys.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, some clarification on the route to Immigration/baggage would help. So once i leave the plane where do I head to?
Thanks guys.
Everything is clearly signposted, just follow the signs.

From your gate you will make your way to immigration which depending on your T5 gate will be either a very short or a fairly long hike.

When there, you'll go through immigration which has various options, if you're Global Entry there are one set of kiosks, there's another set machines where you sort of enter the same information that's on the paper form, or you hand your form to the agent. You also need to see an agent for verification even if you've used a kiosk. The lines at immigration, especially for foreigners can be long.

From there you'll need to claim your baggage, which will not be sent to your final destination. This can take just a few minutes, or over an hour if things are backed up.

You then take your bag through customs and then exit the area, just as you exit you'll need to find the counter for your airlines where they'll take your bag from you. It will already be checked through so you just need to hand it to them. The agents there should be able to confirm the terminal and gate for your onward flight.

To get to your onward flight you'll need to take the airport shuttle train to T1/2/3 depending on your onward flight. There you'll go back through security which at that time of day will likely be crowded and then walk to your gate.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:29 am

Thanks you guys
She asked specifically about Immigration not the ATS. Coming off M12 you don't have the large escalator/stairs as you transition from M21-M15 down. If the OP is really that concerned, I'd just make arrangements for a wheelchair pusher. They meet her at plane side, take her through immigration/customs and then all the way to her domestic gate.

BA is usually gated on M12, so overall the walk to immigration is short.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Do wheelchair pax get to use the priority/crew line? Vaguely remember that being the case, but haven't paid attention recently.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 6:35 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Do wheelchair pax get to use the priority/crew line? Vaguely remember that being the case, but haven't paid attention recently.
They do indeed.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
They do indeed.
In that case, with the short(ish) connection, I would probably avail myself of the wheelchair service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.