Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

4pm Flight out of ORD, Coming from the Loop...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Apologies for the question but I avoid ORD like a plague - I usually use MDW. I have to catch a 4pm flight out of Terminal 1 (United Express). Am i better off using Uber or the blue line? Assume I'll head out at around 1pm either way. My preference would be Uber but if the consensus is traffic will be a detriment at this time on a Wednesday I'd use CTA.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Where is your starting point? That is to say, you don't have to spend much time getting to the Blue Line, do you?

While traffic can happen at any time (a bad accident can snarl the major highways, for example), you should be fine taking Uber at that hour. The Blue Line is consistently 45 min.(ish) from downtown, unless track work is being done (but, that's usually done on the weekends) or if there is an emergency.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks much. I'll be leaving from my Chicago office which is near the Willis Tower so not too far from the Monroe Street station. I know Uber will be easier from the luggage perspective (I'll have a carry-on and a backpack) but if I have to it'll still be manageable on the train. I guess it would be a good idea to check google maps for a major incident before deciding either way.

Originally Posted by miamigrad
Where is your starting point? That is to say, you don't have to spend much time getting to the Blue Line, do you?

While traffic can happen at any time (a bad accident can snarl the major highways, for example), you should be fine taking Uber at that hour. The Blue Line is consistently 45 min.(ish) from downtown, unless track work is being done (but, that's usually done on the weekends) or if there is an emergency.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
If you're heading out at 1:00 either way, it shouldn't make any difference - except that it will cost $2.25 to take the Blue Line.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Traffic on the Kennedy does not typically start getting bad until 2:30 or 3, so you'll be fine either way if you leave at 1. Personally, I prefer the consistency of the Blue Line, unless the traffic map shows green the whole way and work is paying for it.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Agree with consistency of blue line. I often take this route from the loop and there is not usually a big crowd at 1PM. Easy to do with a roller and backpack IME.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Another vote for the Blue line. From "big Willy" I'd recommend the stop at Congress/LaSalle/Clark rather than Monroe, since the distance is more or less the same and the trains can fill up at Jackson (which is between LaSalle and Monroe).

If you head toward the ends of the cars there's usually space there and that allows more room for luggage. If you use LaSalle, wait right at the bottom of the escalator and get on the first car, this will then put you at the head of the pack at ORD.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Based on your departure time and no real need to save 5-10 minutes - take the Blue line. Save the ozone and your funds.

45 minutes and luggage sounds like every trip I take on the CTA so not major unless you are out of shape.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Based on your departure time and no real need to save 5-10 minutes - take the Blue line. Save the ozone and your funds.

45 minutes and luggage sounds like every trip I take on the CTA so not major unless you are out of shape.
^^^^this. Add a dog in a carrier and a bus ride in addition to the train and that's me all the time. Unless it's around 5 a.m. or 10 p.m. or there's construction, I'd never choose Uber over the blue line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.