Search

Water view hotel suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Water view hotel suggestions

My wife and I are going to Chicago for a long weekend later in the summer. We have dinner at Alinea scheduled and want to try a few other places. We would like to stay in a hotel where we can get a water view and have good service and rooms. The only hotels I have stayed in are the Chicago Hilton and someplace near Nordstrom, forget the name of it. We wanted to try someplace different. I did some searches but most of the threads are a bit on the old side. Some the that looked potentially interesting were the Sofitel Water Tower, Burnham and the Thompson. Any comments on those or other suggestions? Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Westin River North and W Lakeshore have great views of the river and lake, respectively. Sofitel is a great hotel, but I don't think you'd get a view of the lake or river, given the location.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:13 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Remember that we have two bodies of water in Chicago: Lake Michigan and the Chicago River. There are a ton of hotels that have a view of one or the other. That said, you need to be sure to request it when making a reservation.

In addition to the hotels you mentioned, also consider:
Raddison Blu
Fairmont
Chicago Sheraton Hotel & Towers
Trump (ugh, pains me to even mention this one)
The Drake
Waldorf Astoria
Park Hyatt
Old Jul 1, 2014, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Remember that we have two bodies of water in Chicago: Lake Michigan and the Chicago River. There are a ton of hotels that have a view of one or the other. That said, you need to be sure to request it when making a reservation.

In addition to the hotels you mentioned, also consider:
Raddison Blu
Fairmont
Chicago Sheraton Hotel & Towers
Trump (ugh, pains me to even mention this one)
The Drake
Waldorf Astoria
Park Hyatt
Thanks. Yes, I am thinking lake view. I should have specified. Any idea about the Thompson? It sounds interesting.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 4:00 pm

The Hilton Suites on Delaware has lakeview suites and a top floor indoor pool. It's two rooms, living room with kitchenette and separate bedroom. It is at the northern end of Magnificent Mile around the corner from Oak Street, quieter but still very convenient.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
The Drake faces Lake Michigan and Oak Street Beach and has unblocked views north to the lake and beach. I can't say I remember any good views of the lake during my stays at the WA. The Hilton Suites is one block south of the Drake and the high floors have views north to the lake and filtered views west east to the lake.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Jul 2, 2014 at 10:24 am
Old Jul 1, 2014, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Remember, the lake at night is just dark.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by milepig
Remember, the lake at night is just dark.
but such a beautiful blue on a sunny day!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The Drake faces Lake Michigan and Oak Street Beach and has unblocked views north to the lake and beach. I can't say I remember any good views of the lake during my stays at the WA. The Hilton Suites is one block south of the Drake and the high floors have views north to the lake and filtered views west to the lake.
EAST to the lake, unless you're in NE Indiana or Michigan

I've never been at the Thompson, but they do tout lake views. Probably upper floors facing east. This is the one picture I could find showing a lake view:

Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
EAST to the lake, unless you're in NE Indiana or Michigan
Oops, fixed.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
but such a beautiful blue on a sunny day!
True, but with so many things to do in Chicago visitors should be out and about from dawn to dusk.

I made that comment partially tongue in cheek, but many Chicagoans I know prefer a great city view to one of the lake, the city lights at night are fabulous.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The Drake faces Lake Michigan and Oak Street Beach and has unblocked views north to the lake and beach.
This view is especially good from the Executive Lounge; great outlook on Oak Street Beach and on Lake Shore Drive going north. But many rooms of course will not have a view of water at all.

I remember some views of the lake from the Radisson Blu.

Never stayed at the Hilton (720 S. Michigan, old Conrad Hilton), but up high there might be a view. Also maybe the Blackstone next door.

Possibly some rooms at Sheraton, Hyatt on Wacker, and Hyatt McCormick.

I guess you could call and inquire.

Originally Posted by milepig
...many Chicagoans I know prefer a great city view to one of the lake, the city lights at night are fabulous.
Some nice nighttime views of the city from high atop the Intercontinental about 500 N. Michigan.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
This view is especially good from the Executive Lounge; great outlook on Oak Street Beach and on Lake Shore Drive going north. But many rooms of course will not have a view of water at all.

I remember some views of the lake from the Radisson Blu.

Never stayed at the Hilton (720 S. Michigan, old Conrad Hilton), but up high there might be a view. Also maybe the Blackstone next door.

Possibly some rooms at Sheraton, Hyatt on Wacker, and Hyatt McCormick.

I guess you could call and inquire.

Some nice nighttime views of the city from high atop the Intercontinental about 500 N. Michigan.
I got the impression that the OP was willing to book a water view room, if so that a number of rooms face Walton would not be an issue. My last few stays at the Drake have all been facing north. There is a photo of a view from the lounge on this page:
http://www.thedrakehotel.com/accommodations/amenities

The Hilton has a large number of water view rooms but you are a much greater distance from the water than the Drake.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Jul 2, 2014 at 7:02 pm Reason: add walton
Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Another option, if the op is interested in something a little more funky, but with spectacular views of the lake and Lincoln Park is the Hotel Lincoln. And, perfect for summer is the rooftop bar, the J Parker.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 11:39 pm

Perfect hotel

I totally agree with you.
The Water view Resort was perfect. Not at all noisy & brilliant location, right opposite the beach overlooking Bribie Island / central and close to all amenities, lovely spacious apartment with fantastic views. The best part is everything was within walking distance. 

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.