Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest > Chicago
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 5, 12, 5:30 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rust belt
Posts: 292
ORD Lounge Terminal 5

My wife is going from CLE-BKK. She will have 5hr at ORD and she departs from Terminal 5. I would like to buy her a day pass for lounge access. Can someone recommend a airport lounge and where to buy the pass from?
snugglening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 12, 6:52 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SEA
Programs: Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Grazie Gold, Identity Platinum
Posts: 2,381
http://www.ohare.com/PDF/PassengerIn...1terminal5.pdf

That shows lounges for SAS, British Airways, Alitalia, Aer Lingus, JAL, Air France, Korean Air, Swiss and something called the "worldwide VIP lounge".

Please have a look at their websites and let us know who offers the cheapest one day pass for their lounge.

Another thing to consider is that with a 5hr layover, that's plenty of time to head to another terminal (where you'll find lounges from domestic airlines).
OverThereTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 12, 9:55 pm   #3
glg
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chicago, IL, US
Posts: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch View Post
Another thing to consider is that with a 5hr layover, that's plenty of time to head to another terminal (where you'll find lounges from domestic airlines).
The CLE-ORD flight will come into one of the other terminals, so she could easily hit one of those up as a partner flight. What airlines is she flying?

Double-check it's T5 as well. UA/ANA go out of T1, AA/JAL go out of T3. Asiana, Cathay, and Korean go out of T5.
glg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 12, 10:02 am   #4
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 311
The Wordwide "VIP" Lounge is actually the built out AA lounge which AA doesn't use. This lounge handles several airlines and is located by M10/M11.

Just so you understand, it's exactly the same since it was finished back in 1994. Yeah....
ords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 12, 3:51 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ORD
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 9,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by glg View Post
The CLE-ORD flight will come into one of the other terminals, so she could easily hit one of those up as a partner flight. What airlines is she flying?

Double-check it's T5 as well. UA/ANA go out of T1, AA/JAL go out of T3. Asiana, Cathay, and Korean go out of T5.
Assuming the OP is correct that the flight leaves from T5, the better thing to do for me would be to do the transfer first, go back through security, and then settle into a lounge at T5. The lounges are past security so all the pax needs to do is walk to the gate from the lounge. Much better, IMHO.
milepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 12, 9:37 am   #6
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rust belt
Posts: 292
She is flying coach using AA and Korean Air...I would have loved to get her first class,but I just started the miles and points game..
AA -Cle to ORD 5hr layover to next flight
KE - ORD-ICN 2.5hr layover
KE ICN-BKK

It seems most most lounges in terminal5 do have day passes available from what I found on google. THere is a priority pass for $100 and it will cost you $27 each time to visit. I was thinking of buying my wife AA day pass since they are good for 24hrs and she can hit the ORD and ICN AA lounges.

I think this is best. Do you guys have any other ideas? My wife doesnt think its worth $50 though..go figure I want to make sure she has a nice place to relax while she waits for her flights.
snugglening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 12, 12:14 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ORD
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 9,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglening View Post
She is flying coach using AA and Korean Air...I would have loved to get her first class,but I just started the miles and points game..
AA -Cle to ORD 5hr layover to next flight
KE - ORD-ICN 2.5hr layover
KE ICN-BKK

It seems most most lounges in terminal5 do have day passes available from what I found on google. THere is a priority pass for $100 and it will cost you $27 each time to visit. I was thinking of buying my wife AA day pass since they are good for 24hrs and she can hit the ORD and ICN AA lounges.

I think this is best. Do you guys have any other ideas? My wife doesnt think its worth $50 though..go figure I want to make sure she has a nice place to relax while she waits for her flights.
The wrinkle in this plan is that the Day Pass Rules only allow entry into Admirals Clubs - not partner lounges, and there isn't a Admirals Club at ICN.
milepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 12, 5:45 pm   #8
glg
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chicago, IL, US
Posts: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglening View Post
She is flying coach using AA and Korean Air...I would have loved to get her first class,but I just started the miles and points game..
AA -Cle to ORD 5hr layover to next flight
KE - ORD-ICN 2.5hr layover
KE ICN-BKK
I'm going to agree with milepig's earlier post. Pick one in T5, not the AA lounge in T3. If she uses the one in T3, then she'll have to leave quite a bit earlier to make sure she has enough time to take the train to T5 and then clear security there (leaving some buffer time) vs just going straight to T5 on landing, clear security, then be able to sit in the lounge right up to boarding.
glg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 12, 6:19 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rust belt
Posts: 292
You guys are awesome for all your knowledge. I own a priority pass but its in my name and I just read the priority pass faq and it does not allow my wife to use it. The other lounges in t5 do not sell day passes online. So she thinks the cost is prohibitive for priority pass. Ill just tell her to maybe pay at the door for lounge access.
snugglening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 12, 1:23 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Naperville, IL
Programs: UA, AA, CO, KE
Posts: 295
The KE lounge in T5 is nothing special, just a big room of chairs with some snacks and drinks, so factor that into any decision.
Finite Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 12, 1:11 am   #11
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: ORD, HKG
Programs: UA PL*G (0.60 BIS MM), HHonors Gold
Posts: 8,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglening View Post
You guys are awesome for all your knowledge. I own a priority pass but its in my name and I just read the priority pass faq and it does not allow my wife to use it. The other lounges in t5 do not sell day passes online. So she thinks the cost is prohibitive for priority pass. Ill just tell her to maybe pay at the door for lounge access.
Not sure if your wife had already flown the trip, but I have to tell you no airline out of T5 sell any lounge pass online or by the door, only US carriers have that practice.

And even if you have priority pass, you probably won't be able to use even if you can, as no other lounges open around the KE flight leaves except KE and JL lounge. And if I am not mistaken, both KE and JL's ORD lounges are not on proirity pass list.


Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglening View Post

It seems most most lounges in terminal5 do have day passes available from what I found on google.
Which airline you found on google ? Or is it thru priority pass ?

As far as I know, there is none offer for pay access.
ORDnHKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 12, 4:23 am   #12
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rust belt
Posts: 292
Yeah I did notice that. She just chilled out for 5hrs at ORD. I couldnt believe you couldnt buy a day pass for those lounges.
snugglening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 12, 1:49 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: ORD, HKG
Programs: UA PL*G (0.60 BIS MM), HHonors Gold
Posts: 8,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglening View Post
Yeah I did notice that. She just chilled out for 5hrs at ORD. I couldnt believe you couldnt buy a day pass for those lounges.
As I said, only US airlines have this practice, foreign carriers don't do that so that it is less likely to be overcrowded, and keep the experience more premium, selling lounge access devalue those who pay for the ticket come with lounge access or those fly frequently who earn the status with lounge access.

It is the same logic that foreign carriers don't sell upgrade to business class, they would rather leave the seat empty, no packed first and business class every single flight, and less likely run out choice of meal to someone who pay several thousands of dollars for their tickets.
ORDnHKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 13, 11:02 am   #14
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 1,751
I'm flying Asiana ORD-ICN in April. The lounge that they contract with is SAS. I also have access to the Air France lounge through my Priority Pass.. any thoughts on which one I should try?

FDW
FlyingDoctorwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 13, 11:23 pm   #15
Used to be 'g_leyser'
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Arctic Vortex
Programs: AA PLT, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Posts: 9,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post
I'm flying Asiana ORD-ICN in April. The lounge that they contract with is SAS. I also have access to the Air France lounge through my Priority Pass.. any thoughts on which one I should try?

FDW
Why not try them both?

The SK lounge is very nice - very similar to their lounges in Europe, but a bit smaller. I have not been to the AF lounge.
__________________
2013 US Rental Car Stats: Bluetooth 12/15 ; Free SiriusXM service 4/15
aisleorwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:25 am.