Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Nonstop flights to Cuba starting soon

Old Nov 27, 2011, 9:11 pm
BCH
Original Poster

O'Hare airport announcing the beginning of charter nonstop flights to Havana.

http://www.flychicago.com/PDF/News/Cuba_ORD_service.pdf

Tickets at http://www.ctcharters.com/

That's an interesting development. I wonder how much traffic they are expecting.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:56 am

This past Friday Sky King ferried the a/c in from HAV and departed with 23 passengers back down. Departure was 30 minutes late due to everyone being photo happy. ^
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Has the general tourist travel ban been lifted for Cuba?

I looked and the US State Department web site and it doesn't look like you can just buy a ticket and go.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1097.html
Old Nov 29, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: SPG LIfetime Plat, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Wannabe, Hilton Silver, UA Gold
If you look at the charter website it describes the various legal purposes for travel (e.g. family, certain business, etc.).
Old Dec 2, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Are inbound pax from Cuba processed the same way as everybody else or do they get extra scrutiny?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: UA, NW
Hi, I was on that inaugural flight, and most of us were traveling from Minneapolis as a group on a religious activities visa (to network with and help Cuban churches in our denomination), except for a couple of people who were going to visit relatives.

The restrictions have been relaxed a bit, but you still can't go there legally just to lie in the sun at Varadero.

Yes, check-in did take a long time, because they were training in new staff, and they had cake and coffee for us at the gate.

Since there were so few passengers, most of us had a row to ourselves. Only cold, non-alcoholic beverages were available, but they served a ham and cheese sandwich.

On the way back, we went through no extra scrutiny landing at ORD. I just told Immigration that I had been in Cuba on a religious activities visa. I had the paperwork to prove it, but the official I talked to didn't ask to see it. When I went through Customs, the official just asked me what I had bought, and I told the truth: a couple of CDs (legal under a religious license) and some craft items made by members of the religious denominations that we interacted with. He just waved me through.

They are mainly on the lookout for attempts to smuggle in cigars, rum, and coffee.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by ksandness
Hi, I was on that inaugural flight, and most of us were traveling from Minneapolis as a group on a religious activities visa
Great to have a first-hand account, thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.