Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Catch a Cub game and flight out of ORD?

Catch a Cub game and flight out of ORD?

Old Aug 13, 2007, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold
Question Catch a Cub game and flight out of ORD?

Hi guys,

Ok, I'm planning my second trip to Chicago.

I actually managed to re-route a business trip to a stop in Chicago.
I arrive Thurs Sept. 20 at night, then leave out of ORD next day on Fri Sept 21 at 6:15PM on AA 1677.

There's a Cub day game starting 1:20 PM verus Pittsburgh.
I've never been to Wrigley Field, so all this will be new to me.

Anybody think I can stay the entire game (or most of it?) and still make my flight?
Any suggestions? How are the security lines at ORD these days?

I'm hoping to take the CTA subway/train from Wrigley to ORD. I have no luggage. I plan to check in at the kiosk for my flight when I arrive at ORD on my inbound flight (it's less than 24 hours before my flight out.)

Thanks,
Steve
Old Aug 13, 2007, 8:39 pm
In memoriam

It might be tough to stay for the whole game because, while Wrigley Field does have an "El" line (the red line) right next door, it is not the line which goes to ORD (the Blue line).

While you could take the Red line South and change to the Blue line, it is likely more effective to take the 152 Addison bus straight West to the Blue line stop (which is several miles West of Wrigley Field) and get on the train there. Bus might take up to half an hour, maybe even more, to get to Blue line stop. Be sure not to get off the bus at the first "El" line you go under which will be the Brown line. You need the Blue line.

Keep in mind that traffic is heavy after the games (big understatement, insane might be a better way to put it) so even the Westbound 152 bus can be running slow. In other words, maybe you should leave early.

If it were me, I'd think about leaving the game around 3PM and take a cab to the Blue line station on Addison. I suppose you could try leaving later, but I have been missing close connections that I would have made earlier due to the long security delays.

Good luck!

And, go Cubbies , go!
Old Aug 13, 2007, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Titanium
At that point, instead of taking a cab to the Addison Blue Line stop, just take one all the way to the airport. Don't waste your time waiting for a train and putting your precious time in the hands of the incompetent CTA.

I hope that you get to enjoy a good part of the game!
Old Aug 13, 2007, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Yeah, get the L experience on your way to the game. If funds are tight, leave the game at about 3:30 - that will allow you to see most of it and hop on the Addison bus to the L. If it's a quick moving game, leave after about the 8th inning (to avoid the worst of the traffic). If you can, take a cab to the airport, but I'd still leave the game with at least a 1/2 inning to go and then walk a block past the ballpark (away from the outfield) so you can catch a cab heading toward the park. Then you won't be competing with those trying to catch a cab from the park.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 9:50 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by ChiFlyer
At that point, instead of taking a cab to the Addison Blue Line stop, just take one all the way to the airport. Don't waste your time waiting for a train and putting your precious time in the hands of the incompetent CTA.
Not a bad idea, and, I thought about this option, but, I have a fear of getting stuck in a giant late Friday afternoon traffic jam on the expressway to ORD. At the least the CTA trains have their own right of way.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:51 am

Programs: AGR WOH
another idea: walk three blocks north along Clark to Irving Park, where there's local and express service headed westbound and (usually) fewer delays than on Addison.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 4:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Not a bad idea, and, I thought about this option, but, I have a fear of getting stuck in a giant late Friday afternoon traffic jam on the expressway to ORD. At the least the CTA trains have their own right of way.
You're right to have that concern...90 will be a mess on Friday afternoon. Take a taxi or the Irving Park bus (you can either walk north on Shefield, which runs into Sheridan, or you can walk up Clark and catch the bus there) to the Irving Park blue line station, and catch the train from there.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 5:18 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Also... Security lines can get a bit long-ish on fridays at that time. Especially true of United.

JP

Originally Posted by wizzy
You're right to have that concern...90 will be a mess on Friday afternoon. Take a taxi or the Irving Park bus (you can either walk north on Shefield, which runs into Sheridan, or you can walk up Clark and catch the bus there) to the Irving Park blue line station, and catch the train from there.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If you want to be at ORD by 5PM and are taking public transportation, I would leave Wrigley Field by 4PM.

I would *not* take the Addison bus to the blue line, but instead would walk 4 blocks north on Clark St (this is the street on the west side of the ballpark) to Irving Park. This is the second stop light north, first light is Grace, next is Irving Park. You can walk this in 10 minutes or so pretty easily.

Irving Park moves much faster than Addison and there is also an express bus (X80) which stops at Clark St and the Blue line. Blue line ride from Irving Park to the airport is probably about half an hour at that time.

If you have your BP already printed out and are not checking luggage use the T2 security checkpoint. If you have some form of shiny plastic card (AA Gold, etc) there is an all purpose elite line all the way to the left side of the security checkpoint in the middle of T2. There is usually a lengthy line of folks in the regular line and very few in the elite line. It is 7-12 minutes walk from most any UA or AA domestic gate from the T2 checkpoint. UX, CO, NW, some others are in T2 as well.

Keep in mind you won't be able to bring your suitcase in Wrigley Field so if you have one you're going to need a place to store it.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by biggestbopper

You are right but you assume that the CTA trains won't be a mess - silly thought! With the slow zones and other issues, it is not nearly as dependable as it used to be. If you get a good taxi driver, he/she will know the short cuts but most don't know the city at all.

No matter what you do, you will have a good time!
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold
Wink

Thanks for the ideas.

Looks like I'll probably walk or take the bus to Irving Park to catch the Blue Line. (I might just walk to Irving Park since I usually walk pretty briskly...we'll see how it goes.) Hopefully (although not really...) it'll be a pitchers' duel.

I'm flying out on American Airlines, and hopefully I'll be checked in the night before.

bdesmond, I totally forgot about flashing some elite credentials, good call.

ChiFlyer, what "slow zones?" How long do you think it will take from Irving Park to ORD?

Thanks guys!
Steve^
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by stevechin
Thanks for the ideas.

Looks like I'll probably walk or take the bus to Irving Park to catch the Blue Line. (I might just walk to Irving Park since I usually walk pretty briskly...we'll see how it goes.) Hopefully (although not really...) it'll be a pitchers' duel.

I'm flying out on American Airlines, and hopefully I'll be checked in the night before.

bdesmond, I totally forgot about flashing some elite credentials, good call.

ChiFlyer, what "slow zones?" How long do you think it will take from Irving Park to ORD?

Thanks guys!
Steve^
Steve-

You can walk faster from Wrigley Field to Irving Park faster than the Clark st bus will come and travel the four blocks in Cubs game traffic.

The blue line is in a state of disrepair and as such much of the track which used to allow the trains to travel at 55mph are only allowing travel in the ~15mph range. I would expect 30 minutes or so from Irving Park to the ORD station. Add in 10 minutes to get to T2 security or 15 to get to T1 or T3 security.

If the blue line is totally FUBARed when you get there for some reason and you are in a hurry/traffic doesn't look bad you can go back downstairs and there is usually a cab in front of the station or one will come by quickly - figure $20. While the blue line is slow lately it will get you there. I wouldn't worry.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:42 pm

Maybe I misunderstood your message - if you were implying you were going to walk to the blue line in lieu of taking the bus, it is too far to walk IMO. It is about 4 miles. The Addison blue line station is a little over 3 miles due west of Wrigley field. It's a safe walk though if you really decide you're going to do it.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:52 pm
glg

To be clear on this, you're walking north to Irving Park, then taking the Irving Park bus (80 or X80) to the Irving Park Blue Line stop. You're not walking to the blue line stop, which is about 4 miles west on Irving Park.

Here's a map of what you're doing for some scale. From the start to the pause, you're walking north on clark. From the pause to the blue line stop (at the Kennedy), you're on the 80 or X80 bus.

Google Map
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by glg
To be clear on this, you're walking north to Irving Park, then taking the Irving Park bus (80 or X80) to the Irving Park Blue Line stop. You're not walking to the blue line stop, which is about 4 miles west on Irving Park.

Here's a map of what you're doing for some scale. From the start to the pause, you're walking north on clark. From the pause to the blue line stop (at the Kennedy), you're on the 80 or X80 bus.

Google Map

One more tip on this note - if you already have a CTA pass (the card purchased from the machine), you can go up the stairs next to where the bus drops you. If you do not already have a pass, you need to cross the street and buy a farecard in the station with cash.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.