Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30-minute connection in DTW?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:10 am
Original Poster

30-minute connection in DTW?

We fly from ALB-STL tonight and have a 30-min connection in DTW. Land at 9:03 pm (gate C15) and depart at 9:33 pm (gate A75).

How do-able is this? Does anyone know Delta's policy on missed connections?

Traveling w/ a toddler and my husband...

Should we gate-check our stroller through to STL so we don't have to wait for it when we deplane in DTW?

Should we take the tram or just run?

Any help would be appreciated so we know (maybe) what to expect...
Old Apr 15, 2011, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Welcome. First, I would get rid of your e-mail address in your profile as it identifies you by name.

As to your main question, the connection is .... short, especially given that you do have a child. You may be able to get one of the golf cart shuttles to give you a bit of an assist but you still have to go down the escalators to the tunnel between C and A concourses and get up to the main floor of the C concourse again. From there, A75 (and do remember gates change so check the screens as you deplane) is at the end of the concourse so the shuttle is faster. Hope you two can run, or at least walk fast with a toddler.

If your incoming flight is on time (as in at gate, not touchdown), you have a somewhat decent chance. Best would be to sit as close to the front as you can, even if you have to sit apart. Person who holds the child should sit up front. As you deplane, the adult holding the child should head straight for next gate while the other (faster?) adult should let the gate agent know that you have a tight connection and to phone to the other gate, then run and catch up. Hopefully the greeting gate agent will see that you have a tight connection and have done that already. Remember to check the monitors along the way for gate changes.

Once you deplane, I estimate it'd take 7 minutes to get gate to gate if you walk very fast and just catch the shuttle when you get to A terminal, otherwise add 4-5 minutes if you miss it.

Yes, and do check the stroller through though you may not see it at STL even if you do get there on your flight.

The bad news is that both flights appear to fully booked if not overbooked. A nasty gate agent at DTW may well prebump you assuming that you would not make the connection. Theoretically, you can be at the gate by 921p to avoid being bumped.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Apr 15, 2011 at 1:31 pm
Old Apr 15, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I live in Detroit & use DTW often. I would have alternatives already mapped out because I do not think you are going to make the connection unless you get lucky.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks YVR. By letting the gate agent know that to call ahead, do you mean the gate that we deplane at? I'm assuming that but wasn't sure.

We're both sitting near the front of the plane. Should we try to enlist the flight attendant's help at all or is that pointless?
Old Apr 15, 2011, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
You're probably at ALB as I write so hope you can read this in time.

You're on a CRJ so if you're near the front already, you're doing the best you can. Doubt you'll lose more than a couple of minutes deplaning. Not much added advantage enlisting the FA's help (they might ask others to wait while you deplane but you're near the front already).

Yes, the faster person not carrying the child should tell the GA at the gate you arrive at in DTW to phone ahead to the other gate and hope the GA at the other gate will hold your seats and the door open (too many stories of the door shut just before/as you get there).
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much! We made it and I have to say DTW was a great airport to deal with. Took me about 12 mins from gate to gate, using the tram. Thanks again for your advice.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA 2P. Former DL FO in the Golden Age of Mileage Runs
I have a 30 minute connection in DTW tomorrow; looked up this thread. Hopefully we'll ride the jet stream and come in early. Otherwise, I'll be ready to run. If I miss it due to DL, will they put me up overnight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.