Wiki Posts
Search

ORD on Easter Sunday 2011 ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2010, 4:28 am
Original Poster

ORD on Easter Sunday 2011 ?

Hi,

We've just booked up to fly LHR-ORD on BA, arriving April 24th (Easter Sunday).

Appreciate that the answer to this question is probably unknowable, but any idea how long it might take us to clear customs & immigration ?

We're assuming about 90 mins, but it would be helpful to know if our estimate's likely to be significantly out.

Thanks in advance,

Nick&Lucy
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:01 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, Nick and Lucy.
I am moving this to the FT Chicago Forum.
The nice people who frequent that forum will surely be in a position to answer your question.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: American, United, Mexicana, Continental
The wait time depends, mostly, on how many other flights have arrived at about the same time and the volume of passengers passing through Immigration and Customs then, how quickly your airline off-loads the luggage, how long of a walk you have from the arrival gate to Immigration, where you sit on the plane, etc. I don't remember the process ever taking 90-minutes, start to finish. I'm thinking 45-minutes is reasonable to expect.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 9:00 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by gomexico
The wait time depends, mostly, on how many other flights have arrived at about the same time and the volume of passengers passing through Immigration and Customs then, how quickly your airline off-loads the luggage, how long of a walk you have from the arrival gate to Immigration, where you sit on the plane, etc. I don't remember the process ever taking 90-minutes, start to finish. I'm thinking 45-minutes is reasonable to expect.
The wait time also depends on whether you're US Citizen/Permanent Resident or a visitor, and can be significantly longer for the latter. Still, 90 minutes should be enough.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Are you asking out of curiosity, or are you trying to figure out the time you need to allow between flights?

If the former, 90 minutes to get through customs/immigration is a good estimate. If someone is meeting you and you have a mobile phone, you will have a window of opportunity to call from when the plane hits the runway until you deplane at arrivals. You CANNOT use your phone while in the customs/immigration area.

If you're trying to decide on connecting flights, it looks like the minimum time for AA for Intl/Dom is 1:10 and on UA it is 1:15, but I would never let anyone book me a connection that tight. I'd allow at least 2 hours between flights.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

Thanks for your replies - we were really just trying to work out how tired we will be and whether we should stay in Rosemont that night or head for downtown Chicago.

On the basis of 90 mins, I think we will probably sack out at a local hotel and jump on the El in the morning
Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Post again closer to your arrival and maybe one of our local friendly FTers will arrange a lunch/dinner to welcome you to our beautiful city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.