This is the story:

Flight: UA 547 (from YYZ-Toronto)
Arriving at ORD : 08:47 a.m.
Wed., 22 Dec., 2010

connecting to

Flight: UA0001 (to HNL - Honolulu)
Departing from ORD: 9:55 a.m.
Wed., 22 Dec., 2010

There is only one hour connecting time so I wonder if it's enough to be able to make the above connection.
I'm not sure I have to change terminals or not.
I hear that on US fllights originating from Toronto, the US security is cleared in Toronto so I don't have to show my passport again in Chicago. Is it true?

Any tips, appreciated.

Thanks
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:36 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
The readers of our Travel->Chicago forum will have answers. Please follow as the thread moves there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN, 7G, SPG (for now)
Originally Posted by ticu
There is only one hour connecting time so I wonder if it's enough to be able to make the above connection.
I'm not sure I have to change terminals or not.
I hear that on US fllights originating from Toronto, the US security is cleared in Toronto so I don't have to show my passport again in Chicago. Is it true?
In a nutshell, yes.

There is customs and immigration pre-clearance at YYZ. Just make sure you go to the US departures door at Pearson (it's kinda hard to miss, lots of signs and a big door in the middle of the departure lobby between the H counters). Your YYZ flight should arrive at T1 as well as the departure of your HNL flight, although they may be in different concourses.

A FAQ can be found here.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
One of the good things about Canada to US flights is being able to clear immigration in Canada.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Air, Flying Blue, United, Air Canada, Aeromexico
Originally Posted by ninja138
In a nutshell, yes.

Just make sure you go to the US departures door at Pearson

A FAQ can be found here.
What do you mean? Would they let me in the the plane without going through security??? I guess it's the same for everybody....Do I miss something here?Like, if I go through a "wrong" door/entrance they won't make me clear US security and still let me on the plane?????
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What do you mean? Would they let me in the the plane without going through security??? I guess it's the same for everybody....Do I miss something here?Like, if I go through a "wrong" door/entrance they won't make me clear US security and still let me on the plane?????
No, everyone has to clear US immigration and customs before enterring the flight in Canada. Once you get on the plane its like a domestic US flight.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Air, Flying Blue, United, Air Canada, Aeromexico
Sounds good to me, thanks!
So the only thing that might obstruct making that connection would be the arriving flight to be VERY late (well it happened Monday, when it arrived after the HNL left). Apparently all takes place within T1 and it only involves going from concourse C to B so it shouldn't take too much if like you say immigration/customs has already been cleared in Canada. Thanks.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Sounds good to me, thanks!
So the only thing that might obstruct making that connection would be the arriving flight to be VERY late (well it happened Monday, when it arrived after the HNL left). Apparently all takes place within T1 and it only involves going from concourse C to B so it shouldn't take too much if like you say immigration/customs has already been cleared in Canada. Thanks.
It's no different from arriving at T1 on a domestic flight.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:49 pm

Programs: American, United, Mexicana, Continental
Allow for lots of extra time before your departure from YYZ. The security, immigration and customs procedures can, on some days, take a lot of time. The lines can be really long. When I return from Dublin I clear immigration and customs in Ireland before boarding, just like the procedure in Toronto. I wish that would happen in Mexico City, but I don't think the Mexican government will allow it.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gomexico
When I return from Dublin I clear immigration and customs in Ireland before boarding, just like the procedure in Toronto.
Interesting, are there any other countries with this arrangement?
Old Nov 28, 2010, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Ireland. I flew to Shannon last week and they have pre clearance
Old Nov 28, 2010, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Since your flight from YYZ arr ORD at 8:47 you are departing at the US flight morning rush hour.

Best to allow yourself 2.5 hrs to check in and bags tagged, line up for US immigration/customs, check you bags in, go through CATSA flight security check, enter US pre-cleared departure gate area.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I seem to recall seeing a US Customs clearance desk at a gate at London Gatwick a few years ago, but I don't know if it's still there.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, 7G, SPG (for now)
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Ireland, Aruba, the Bahamas, Bermuda, and Canada. See here and here.

Dublin's being (or has been) upgraded from pre-immigration to preclearance. I also heard something about the treaty designating another airport in Ireland for preclearance, but the facility hasn't been built yet (or something like that).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.