Wiki Posts
Search

Macku in Lincoln Park

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2010, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Macku in Lincoln Park

My bf, a good friend and I went to Macku in LIncoln Park for dinner tonight. It's the same chef (and his brother) from the now-defunct Kaze Japanese fusion/sushi place in Roscoe Village. The menu is very similar. They are also behind Mirai Sushi and Heat.

And in a word, it was superb.

Friend and I got the special soup - a puree of white asparagus with a kimchi wonton and a bit of foie gras (and not a small amount of cream). BF got the sweet potato soup with a lobster broth, pureed sweet potato, and tiger shrimp. Both soups were delicious. The sweet potato soup had quite a kick from chili oil.

We then moved on to a tuna tartare wrapped in avocado slices and served with a shrimp and cream cheese spring roll. You dab some of the tartare onto the spring roll with each bite - amazing.

Next came sushi. This was about the freshest sushi I've had in Chicago. We got an assortment of about four rolls, all of which were great. But by far the show stopper was the "specialty nigiri". Everyone got the salmon, which was a piece of practically-still-swimming salmon topped with truffle oil, enoki mushrooms, and chives. Our friend described it as "an orgasm in my mouth", which I won't elaborate on. I also got the bonito specialty nigiri, topped with fried garlic and a tomato mushroom puree.

Somehow we managed to split a dessert. We got the chocolate mousse plate, which was a misnomer because mousse was only one of the five things on the plate. There were also a couple small slices of tempura pound cake, chocolate mochi, green tea ice cream, and a banana tart. All very good, though I'd have been happy with just the chocolate mochi and/or banana tart (and I don't usually like banana desserts).

Total was $158 with tip for three of us (and four beers). I'll be back, though I might not order quite as much next time.

I also understand that they do an omikase chef's tasting menu. Our waitress was kind of vague on the cost - she said it starts at $50/person but is entirely dependent on when you tell them to stop bringing you stuff. Apparently you don't specify how many courses you want when you order.

Macku
2239 N Clybourn Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614

Phone: 773.880.8012
mackusushi.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.