Wiki Posts
Search

Any Off Airport Rental cars near ORD?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Any Off Airport Rental cars near ORD?

I need a One Way rental car (1 day) to central ILL. Best I could find from ORD agencies about $235. I know lots of taxes and fees at ORD.

Is there an off airport agency within walking distance of metro station that I could pick up a one way car?

I have done this in PHX often and save $50 -75 for an extra 10-15 min of time.

I will not have bags as spouse can stay at terminal, gather bags, and meet me curbside.

Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:11 pm
glg

Not that I've found. Instead of making it easy like that, the rental car taxes are assessed on any rental in the area, not just at the airport. I live in Chicago and I've ended up going to ORD to get rental cars a couple times because it was cheaper than going to a local location.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Titanium
That's not true - airport charges are not added to your vehicle rental if you pick it up at a non-airport location. For example, with Avis, try making a reservation with a pickup at O'Hare or at a city location (downtown or on Broadway) and you will see the difference. I have done this many times.

Back to the OP, I know that Avis has a downtown location but realistically it is about an hour (including L and walking time) from O'Hare to the facility and then you have to drive back out to O'Hare). I am not sure it is worth saving the money - maybe others can let you know about rental companies closer to O'Hare.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
There is a Hertz local edition on Touhy Ave. in Niles about 5 miles East of ORD.
May be a short bus ride if the price is right.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:23 pm
glg

Originally Posted by ChiFlyer
That's not true - airport charges are not added to your vehicle rental if you pick it up at a non-airport location. For example, with Avis, try making a reservation with a pickup at O'Hare or at a city location (downtown or on Broadway) and you will see the difference. I have done this many times.
I stand corrected. It must have been that the airport rates have just been cheaper every time I've looked (hasn't been that frequently, so could be a fluke).
Old Nov 15, 2010, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Found a local Hertz deal

I found a Hertz local edition on 2170 S. Mannheim, just a block or two north of Touhy (in Des Plaines). And a good thing there is a Radisson on corner of Mannheim and Touhy - so can shuttle from airport. With good tip and maybe even eat at the Longhorn steakhouse at hotel - should not be an issue to use shuttle and walk to Hertz.

Cost for the one day, one way rental was $90 less - so worth the extra likely 20 time for me.

And thanks to a Flyertalker who lives nearby, he will go by and check out the situation.

Remember, Local Edition sites have restricted hours, so be sure your flights work within their time schedule.

Thanks all for comments
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:28 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SAPMAN
And thanks to a Flyertalker who lives nearby, he will go by and check out the situation.
Radisson is ~125 yards from the Hertz location you mentioned. There is also an Advantage car rental sign next to the Hertz location but I think that is an Advantage car sales lot and not a rental facility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.