Reload this Page >

Frontera Grill - Topolobampo - Xoco

Old Sep 16, 2009, 6:00 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond

I've always enjoyed my meals at either of Chef Rick Bayless places, Frontera Grill and Topolobampo.

He now has a new restaurant that has opened up called Xoco featuring Mexican street food: http://www.rickbayless.com/restaurants/xoco.html

The menu at Xoco looks delicious, anyone been yet?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 9:12 pm

Don't know if it's because Bayless recently won the Master Top Chef competition but....Frontera has had LONG lines recently.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I went past there on the #22 at about 10:30 Saturday morning and the line was already to the end of the block.

Early reports on Xoco is that the food is very good, but that the pricing are just as expensive, if not more, than his other places.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:02 pm
glg

Originally Posted by milepig
Early reports on Xoco is that the food is very good, but that the pricing are just as expensive, if not more, than his other places.
If they mean pricing compared to other counter services places, then maybe it's "expensive", but the prices are less than Frontera.

We were at Topolo the day after Xoco opened. Decided to take a peek in and maybe grab a churro, but they were had locked up a few minutes early (long line inside). Rick was working the counter.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
I've been twice. It's very good and extremely casual, like a cafe.

The specialties are sandwiches, churros, and hot chocolate.
They also serve breakfast in the morning and soup after 3 p.m.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 7:19 pm

Programs: former {UA 1k // SPG Gold, HHonors Silver}, now starting up again
Just went to Frontera today. We're in town and we thought we'd try out XOCO, but the line was so long it took us less time to get seated at Frontera!

Two thumbs up from this california kid.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
How about wait time once seated?
There are reports that 30 minutes between courses are not unheard of at Frontera.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by getsaround
Don't know if it's because Bayless recently won the Master Top Chef competition but....Frontera has had LONG lines recently.
Yeah, he was interviewed when the new place opened and he said business has increased tremendously as a result of Top Chef Master.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 9:10 pm
glg

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
How about wait time once seated?
There are reports that 30 minutes between courses are not unheard of at Frontera.
At Xoco? I think it's counter service, no?
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:30 pm

There is no unreasonable wait between courses at Frontera. Service is excellent.

Topo is quasi fine dining, and the courses come out at a leisurely pace.

At Xoco, you currently cannot order until after a table frees up, at which point they hand you a laminated card with a number on it. This is the main cause of the line. Eventually, they'll do carryout.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Big Mo
There is no unreasonable wait between courses at Frontera. Service is excellent.

Topo is quasi fine dining, and the courses come out at a leisurely pace.

At Xoco, you currently cannot order until after a table frees up, at which point they hand you a laminated card with a number on it. This is the main cause of the line. Eventually, they'll do carryout.
Great idea. ^ There are few things more annoying than paying for your food and having it get cold while you wander about looking for a table.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:08 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum

Made it to Topolobampo this weekend - was seated right away (for a 9:30 res on Friday night), server was attentive, and the food was great. Big ups for the Sopa Azteca... also my duck and my date's lamb were quite good, though perhaps not quite mind-blowing. Melon mojito also delicious, yum!

Overall, would go again for sure.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:47 pm
glg

Finally made it to Xoco for lunch on Friday. 20 minute wait for a table at 1:00 (not quite out the door). Was just out the door when we got seated, but by the time we finished a leisurely lunch at 3, there was only a very small line. Just as we were heading back to be seated (after ordering), Bayless pops over from the Frontera/Topolo kitchen to check on things.

I had a Cubana (roast pork, bacon). The pork was excellent. After having had the simply mindblowing Cochinta Pibil at Topolo last year, I gotta say, the man knows his pork. Wife had Choriqueso (chorizo, poblanos), daughter had Milanesa (chicken, beans, jalapenos), both were very good.

We also tried the fresh hot chocolate. The authentic (water) was good, strong cocoa flavor that stands alone without milk. The classic (2% milk) was rich and delicious, like the best cup of hot cocoa you'd ever get. Will have to try the ultra (whole milk) next time. My wife said she'd go back just for a churro and cocoa.

It was pricy for lunch ($40 for 3 tortas, chips/salsa, 2 cocoas and a churro), but we'll be back.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by glg
My wife said she'd go back just for a churro and cocoa.
You can get those to go. They'll even let you cut in line, since you won't need to wait for a table.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:59 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by glg
Finally made it to Xoco for lunch...
took me awhile but I finally made it as well.
Originally Posted by glg
The pork was excellent. ... I gotta say, the man knows his pork.
For sure^ I had a pork sandwich as well.

For me the mind blowing hot chocolate is the molten liquid type I've had at a few places in Europe but the Aztec hot chocolate (chile spiced) was quite enjoyable. Churros I can easily pass on, no big deal.

I will be back, would like to try some other sandwiches.
-[/QUOTE]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.