Shedd Aquarium

Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP; UA 2P; Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hertz PC
Shedd Aquarium

I noticed on their website that they offer a program called "Breakfast with the Animals".

Called the main office and was told the dates I wanted were sold out. Does anyone know if there are ticket agents in town that might deal in these tickets?

Thanks
Old Jun 5, 2006, 7:18 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Just went this past Sunday. FWIW NO LINES, anywhere first thing in the morning. Spent 1.5 hours, by the time we left the ticket line was 50 people deep.

I highly urge anyone who has seen the dolphin show to watch it next time while viewing it from the underwater view. It was incredible to see them speed up and launch from the water for their jumps. sometimes they would not even be in sync but at the last moment they would all adjust their speed. Really neat to see.

Also, there was a trainer at the underwater viewing area who had various shapes. Each dolphin recognizes their own shape, and if you watch before the show, some are racing around the tank finding which trainer that has "their" shape.

--
Old Aug 25, 2006, 8:02 am

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Jun 17, 2010 at 9:25 pm
Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
The Shedd Aquarium's SHARK BALL 2006 is the annual fundraiser for all things Shedd. Food from local favorites like Adobo Grill and Eli's Cheesecake will be served around the Caribbean Reef. Night owls can prolong the fun at a post-party celebration at the House of Blues Hotel. Aug. 26, 2006 from 9:00 p.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tickets are $100 in advance, $125 at the door. 1200 S. Lake Shore Dr., 312-692-3363, www.sharkball.org

--
Willie:

Every time I am at the Shedd I feel like getting sushi.

Partially a joke, but partially true. Weird.

On the news in the past couple days they said the 150-pound grouper that got chemo a few years ago has died. First fish ever to get chemo for cancer, I think they said.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:56 pm

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Jun 17, 2010 at 9:23 pm
Old Aug 26, 2006, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus, AA AAdvantage
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Willie:
Every time I am at the Shedd I feel like getting sushi.

Partially a joke, but partially true. Weird.
My friends and I ordered the fish entree for lunch at their restaurant .
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:33 pm

Wink Sushi at the Shedd?

You would think they would not offer fish on the menu...however sushi does sound good....just not at the Shedd.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 9:24 pm

free admission until June 18th at the Shedd: www.sheddaquarium.org
-
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
free admission until June 18th at the Shedd: www.sheddaquarium.org
-
Nothing new, there are many free days during the year, but as usual it is only free half of the museum, not the other half, the other half you still have to pay half of the full price on regular days. Half of the full price for the other half of the museum is not cheap.

Community Discount Days
On our Community Discount Days, general admission is free. Includes the Waters of the World, Amazon Rising, and the Caribbean Reef. Packages including Wild Reef, Polar Play Zone and Oceanarium are available at a discounted rate. Shedd's 52 discount days a year take advantage of civic and school holidays to make family visits more convenient.

Our Monday and Tuesday Community Discount Days in 2010 are
Feb. 1, 2, 8, 9, 22 and 23;
Sept. 13, 14, 20, 21, 27 and 28;
Oct. 4, 5, 11, 12, 18, 19, 25 and 26; and
Nov. 1, 2, 8, 9, 15, 16, 22, 23, 29 and 30.

And take advantage of our Community Discount Weeks:
Jan. 1621; Feb. 1519; and June 1418.

Read more: http://www.sheddaquarium.org/discoun...#ixzz0rEGHGZcz
Old Jun 18, 2010, 9:36 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
When you go

Be sure to see the Sea Dragons (near the sea horses). They are spectacular...don't seem real.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:59 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Will Call line, Fantasea, and conservation

Mrs. dstan and I just spent an afternoon at Shedd (our second visit), and, as avid divers and aquarium aficianados, we think that it's truly one of the premier aquariums in the country, certainly on par with Monterey Bay and Georgia. ^ The highlight for us was seeing the frogfish out crawling and swimming!

A few notes:

1) Admission is steep at $26.95 + fees for adults (IIRC, it was $30.95 at the ticket counter, $31.45 via TicketMaster Will Call); the collection is well worth the cost, but plan to spend at least a half day to make it worthwhile.

2) We bought Will Call tickets via TicketMaster. That was a mistake. We spent 35 min in the Will Call line on Saturday around noon, watching the ticket purchasers lines move much faster (note that that line goes all the way out the door and down to the bottom of the steps, though, while Will Call will at least get you into the lobby immediately). Next time, we'll eat the extra $1.75/ticket TicketMaster fee for printable tickets.

3) Unless you have young kids, save your extra $2 and skip Fantasea. It's a massive cheese-fest with costumes and flying boats - in contrast to the last time we were there in 2005, the animals were only minimally showcased.

4) The collection is very impressive, and the animals are both diverse and healthy. It really makes an impact on visitors - we heard several people comment on how beautiful the corals were. Most will never have the chance to see them in person. Because of this, one wishes that Shedd would take better advantage of the opportunity to educate the public about ocean conservation issues, such as the Pacific Gyre, sharkfinning, and sustainable fisheries.

With all that said, Shedd does a great job overall and is well worth the time and money to visit.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:35 pm

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
Hint: If the line is down the steps when you arrive, peek around the corner and check the line at the ground level entrance on the south side of the building.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Big Mo
Hint: If the line is down the steps when you arrive, peek around the corner and check the line at the ground level entrance on the south side of the building.
Thanks, yes, someone suggested that we go down and check the Accessible ticket counter (is that the same thing?), but Mrs. dstan found that the line wasn't any shorter than the two Will Call lines, which were well inside the front door, just excruciatingly slow.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Or you could be nice to toomanybooks and he could get you in for free, with no waiting, on his membership.

Actually, if you have several people in your group or you think you will return within a year, it make sense to investigate membership. That line takes an immense amount of time.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Sep 8, 2010 at 6:36 am
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Or you could be nice to toomanybooks and he could get you in for free, with no waiting, on his membership.

Actually, if you have several people in your group or you think you will return within a year, it make sense to investigate membership. That line takes an immense amount of time.
I was actually doing the math in my head on the membership while waiting in line

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.